• The KillerFrogs

Big XII actively considering BYU

LisaLT

I don't know why anyone would think that there have not been discussions with UCF, BYU and Cincy, to name a few, for future consideration to join the league. If the Big 12 is to remain a viable competitive conference, this needs to happen. Talks are talks. I'm sure OUT was having their "talks" with the SEC folks long before they were "outed" by A&M. We should be doing the same.

Fort Frog

I don't know why anyone would think that there have not been discussions with UCF, BYU and Cincy, to name a few, for future consideration to join the league. If the Big 12 is to remain a viable competitive conference, this needs to happen. Talks are talks. I'm sure OUT was having their "talks" with the SEC folks long before they were "outed" by A&M. We should be doing the same.

Fort Frog

Agree completely. As The Godfather would say”business is business it’s nothing personal”. However people feel about BYU and travel ext..it’s about the business of money. Whatever teams can help profit for the big twelve so be it. UCF,Cincinnati,BYU make the most sense to me. Whatever other teams can move the profit needle will factor in also.

Jared7

BYU Sports Nation on BYUtv today was ALL over it - calling the last 14 hours as the most consequential in BYU sports history. Their unscientific poll was 77% in favor of joining the Big 12 and 23% in favor of staying independent.

I'm in the process of gradually accepting the fact that we're once again going to be mates with those conference killers. If past is prologue, they'll be great fans and everything will be hunky dory for 2-5 years and they'll then turn on a dime and start undermining the conference at every turn over some minor issue. But they're certainly controversial and controversy generates interest and sells.

Moose Stuff

BYU Sports Nation on BYUtv today was ALL over it - calling the last 14 hours as the most consequential in BYU sports history. Their unscientific poll was 77% in favor of joining the Big 12 and 23% in favor of staying independent.

I'm in the process of gradually accepting the fact that we're once again going to be mates with those conference killers. If past is prologue, they'll be great fans and everything will be hunky dory for 2-5 years and they'll then turn on a dime and start undermining the conference at every turn over some minor issue. But they're certainly controversial and controversy generates interest and sells.

I mean at this point what are they gonna actually do to the conference that’s worse than what’s going on currently?

Wexahu

I mean at this point what are they gonna actually do to the conference that’s worse than what’s going on currently?

They were always one of the big dogs in the other conferences. Wouldn't be the case in this one. Completely different scenario. You don't hear much about how UT is going to destroy the SEC, only how UT isn't going to like not being the big dog anymore.

How would BYU joining the Big 12 be any different? I agree, that aspect is totally overblown.

Moose Stuff

They were always one of the big dogs in the other conferences. Wouldn't be the case in this one. Completely different scenario. You don't hear much about how UT is going to destroy the SEC, only how UT isn't going to like not being the big dog anymore.

How would BYU joining the Big 12 be any different? I agree, that aspect is totally overblown.

Is there a realistic option available with a bigger national following, with a bigger fan base that will travel, or with a chance for better TV ratings?

steelfrog

Tier 1
Adding weirdos from that school would be worse.

In other news: Oh, the Talley Bon are our friends, and they are enemies of the ISIS-K, whom the Talley Bon cannot control.

Question: How come among the hundreds of Afghanis killed and injured, the Talley Bon knew enough to vacate the area so none of them were injured or killed?

Jared7

Is there a realistic option available with a bigger national following, with a bigger fan base that will travel, or with a chance for better TV ratings?
No, they are clearly the top candidate by all objective metrics. Their TV deal was originally $7-10 million and they recently re-upped that for a slight increase ($8-11 million?). That's less than the average remaining Big 12 teams $14 million in TV valuation, but bear in mind that that can only include home games whereas being in a conference means their conference away games are included. So, money dilution won't be all that much. Plus, they have a 65,000 stadium which they typically sell out for big games. And, while their TV ratings don't equal ours, that's because they are rarely on anything other than ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU - give them a Fox or ABC game and they'll attract viewers close to or better than the Big 12 (non-UT/OU) average. They were typically the MWC leader in Director's Cup standings and have a solid all-sports athletic program.

Yeah, I'm not at all worried about the ADs and presidents at OSU, Tech, Baylor, TCU and WVU keeping them in check. There are some pretty strong leaders in that group. Don't know enough about ISU or KSU, and there's some instability at Kansas right now, but I doubt they are going to get pushed around by BYU.

They are coming into "our" club. They'll get put in their place pretty quickly.