• The KillerFrogs

[big steaming pile] writes another idiotic column - and not about TCU

maximilian

illini_frog said:
http://www.defendingbigd.com/2015/4/6/8345323/dallas-stars-mavericks-nhl-playoffs-jamie-benn-alex-goligoski

For what it's worth, I'm a big Dallas Stars fan, and Mac wrote an absolutely idiotic article about the 2010-current Dallas Stars. Comparing the 2nd youngest team in the NHL to the 1990 Mavericks. 
So he's not just a moron when it comes to college sports, he's an idiot for other things too. 

That means the Stars are right on the cusp of greatness, since Mac knows absolutely nothing.

I see nothing wrong with what he said. Remember, the 90's Mavs were perpetually young as well and never improved. They were hamstrung by a few bad contracts...As are the Stars. We've been hearing for a few years they have guys in the minors on the cusp of being NHL-ready but for the most part they have yet to materialize.

Poor starts to seasons, bad goaltending and their inability to score on the PP, especially at home, has been their hallmark for several years now. Those are recipe for failure, which has become a common occurrence in Dallas for a handful of years. Being in the West doesn't help their cause either but it shouldn't take this long to rebuild. But I don't care which conference you're in, missing the playoffs 6 of 7 years puts you in the loser category. You can make all the excuses you want but the bottom line is they aren't winning and haven't for a long time.

traderfrog

Muck is such an idiot. He calls Jamie Benn underachieving?? I don't know how you can call someone averaging 2.68 points per 60 that. He probably hasn't even gone to a single stars game this year. He probably just googled people's names to try to put together a hockey article.

Bad goaltending this year but the responsibility for goals allowed falls just as much on the defenders as it does on Kari (or Enroth). Obviously Kari's save % sucked, but think too about how many times our defenders have gotten caught out of position. I feel like multiple times they even tried to substitute when the opponent had the puck at center ice and were driving. So frustrating.

Reptilian

They are 2nd in the league in scoring. Only 2-3 goals behind the highest scoring team. They invested heavily in their goalie and he was a huge bucket of fail this year.

With average goal tending they would be in the thick of the conference race. The mags were just terrible. The Stars aren't.

Purp

PhormerPhrog said:
I see nothing wrong with what he said. Remember, the 90's Mavs were perpetually young as well and never improved. They were hamstrung by a few bad contracts...As are the Stars. We've been hearing for a few years they have guys in the minors on the cusp of being NHL-ready but for the most part they have yet to materialize.

Poor starts to seasons, bad goaltending and their inability to score on the PP, especially at home, has been their hallmark for several years now. Those are recipe for failure, which has become a common occurrence in Dallas for a handful of years. Being in the West doesn't help their cause either but it shouldn't take this long to rebuild. But I don't care which conference you're in, missing the playoffs 6 of 7 years puts you in the loser category. You can make all the excuses you want but the bottom line is they aren't winning and haven't for a long time.
I don't see the similarities. Aside from Kari being horrible this year the Stars were a good team. The young and injury plagued back line certainly didn't make the better this year, but I think they currently have all the pieces in place to be very good for a long time once they find the right goalie. There is a lot to like about this Stars roster and the direction of the franchise. You can't say that about the 90s Mavs until Cuban bought the team.

maximilian

Purp said:
I don't see the similarities. Aside from Kari being horrible this year the Stars were a good team. The young and injury plagued back line certainly didn't make the better this year, but I think they currently have all the pieces in place to be very good for a long time once they find the right goalie. There is a lot to like about this Stars roster and the direction of the franchise. You can't say that about the 90s Mavs until Cuban bought the team.

Kari will be fine. The Stars were playing with Oleksiak/Jokipakka/Klingberg/, even Nemeth for a portion. No other team featured that many rookie defensemen. He was worse this year for sure, but there was no fixing the learning curve in front of him, and failure defense from veterans like Daley.

Purp

maximilian said:

Kari will be fine. The Stars were playing with Oleksiak/Jokipakka/Klingberg/, even Nemeth for a portion. No other team featured that many rookie defensemen. He was worse this year for sure, but there was no fixing the learning curve in front of him, and failure defense from veterans like Daley.
I'm not trying to deflect culpability from the young back line onto Kari. The young D certainly did struggle at times as you'd expect. Goligoski got off to a very rough start too and Daley was injured for the stretch run. All that said, Kari was just awful for most of the year. He had a great last part of February and a solid March, but his last couple starts were terrible and indicative of what we got from him all year. He was terrible and I don't think he's a goalie capable of winning the Cup.

I'd also like to point out some coaching issues. The Stars were easily the best 2nd period team in hockey this year. But as good as their 2nd periods were their 3rd periods were just as awful. It was common for this team to get outplayed down the stretch and lose games they led going into the final frame. It was so consistent I can't let myself believe it was a coincidence. That must also be fixed bc they were talented enough for the playoffs this year in spite of the young D corps and Kari.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Hockey? In Dallas?

You have to be kidding. Nobody would import a bunch of Canadians and pay them millions to play a sport on ice in Texas. That's just crazy talk...

Frozen Frog

The Stars face a litany of problems.  Injuries have been an issue this year.  They might be a playoff team without them.  The Stars really need to address issues from the back to the forwards.  Kari is one of the quickest goalies in the NHL, but his body position is terrible.  He doesn't play angles which kills him.  Enroth plays great angles, but gives up juicy rebounds.  I could score on some of the ones he gives up which says a lot.  The D needs to learn to play within themselves and not let people build a house in front of the crease.  I am thinking that might be in need of a complete overhaul.  I might look to add a few forwards especially a big power forward and a defensive one, but overall that is fine.  The Stars have scored the second most goals in the NHL this season and they still have a negative differential.  That is a telling stat.

2314@work

Contributor
jewstfrogit said:
don't post about no yankee sports
You just showed your ignorance. Why don't you just run along to your KKK meeting and quit dissing a great sport. Seriously, go to a game in person ONCE and you will be hooked. And if worse comes to worse there are always the thousands of hotties who attend Stars games you can drool over.

2314@work

Contributor
Frozen Frog said:
The Stars face a litany of problems.  Injuries have been an issue this year.  They might be a playoff team without them.  The Stars really need to address issues from the back to the forwards.  Kari is one of the quickest goalies in the NHL, but his body position is terrible.  He doesn't play angles which kills him.  Enroth plays great angles, but gives up juicy rebounds.  I could score on some of the ones he gives up which says a lot.  The D needs to learn to play within themselves and not let people build a house in front of the crease.  I am thinking that might be in need of a complete overhaul.  I might look to add a few forwards especially a big power forward and a defensive one, but overall that is fine.  The Stars have scored the second most goals in the NHL this season and they still have a negative differential.  That is a telling stat.
Until the Stars get another Derion Hatcher or the like (muscle in front of the net) crap like this year and three years before last year will continue to happen. I have no problem with Lindy as coach. Also, I agree with you about Kari. But I will still believe he can fix it and be a top-notch goalie.

illini_frog

PhormerPhrog said:

That's the dumbest thing I've read all day. Look deeper, we brought in brand new Stars (pun absolutely intended) like Seguin or Spezza, a new GM, a new owner, and a new coach 2 years ago. Hell they even changed the logo and adjusted the colors. This team is on the rise. 

steelfrog said:
More importantly, how's ur job coming along Illini?

On pause for now actually. I got active duty orders from the National Guard (i'm a 2LT) and am currently loving life (not) at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. 

Frognosticator said:
Mac's article sure will piss off the 20 or so fans in the metroplex who still care about hockey.

Go to a game. And this city was loving it when they made playoff runs, with the wins that are coming, a lot of bandwagoners will jump back on.