• The KillerFrogs

[big steaming pile] favors moving Rangers to Dallas!

2314@work

Contributor
Brog said:

Amazed to read Mac's column in the Startlegram today saying the not full stadium at the game yesterday shows the Rangers should be moved to downtown Dallas.    Here's his conclusion:

Maybe it is the heat. Or maybe it’s the electronic age where watching a game at home is not only cheaper, but with HDTV often just as good. Or maybe the thing just needs to be in downtown Dallas.

He ignores the fact that the game was a sellout (that means all seats sold), that the game began at noon on a working day when lots of ticket holders just couldn't get off work.  He could, of course, because he's a sports writer.  Strange for a Startlegram writer to push this kind of agenda in front of the Arlington vote a month from now on whether to approve the new Ranger building program.  

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article106811042.html#storylink=cpy

I think you need to learn how to read. It wasn't exactly his personal endorsement (see: or, maybe). But I bet everyone liked the column on Baylor Rape he did on Sunday. But in keeping on topic, my beef isn't what you thought you read - or rather, what you wanted to read - but why in the world did he write about this subject matter? Good gosh Mac the Rangers are fighting for their playoff lives and you write an attendance-smack column? Huh? Dozens of other pertinent subjects involving Rangers to write at this time. If I was editor I would have handed that copy back. Bad timing, to say the least. Puzzling. But he rebounded on Sunday! Mac seems to be the lone reporter making sure Baylor and its problems and its failure to properly address its problems are staying in the news. Good job there, Big Mac.

MAcFroggy

The Rangers are probably my second favorite professional sports team behind the Mavericks, but I usually only make one or two games a year.  I try to make a game or two during April before it starts to warm up, but once June rolls around I pretty much don't even think about going to games.  It is just so much easier and comfortable to watch at home.  Paying for parking, walking into the stadium, sitting in 90+ degree heat, dealing with traffic leaving, etc.  Just not really worth it for me.  I think having the option of indoor games will benefit the rangers and definitely increase the probability of me going to games.

However, I think having the team in downtown Dallas would be a much much better fan experience.  (Might not be as profitable for the Rangers due to parking revenue, though).  Downtown ballparks are just a much more enjoyable baseball experience IMO.  Having the option of riding the TRE, trolley, or DART in and out of downtown would be great.  There are way more places to park which would decrease parking costs for a lot of fans.  I know downtown Dallas is not an oasis of bars and restaurants but it would be much better than Arlington.  However, as a Dallas taxpayer I do not really want to be wasting tax dollars on a stadium.  I will let another city handle that. 

IMO having the stadium in or near downtown Fort Worth would be the absolute best case scenario in terms of fan experience, but I doubt that happens.