• The KillerFrogs

[big steaming pile] favors moving Rangers to Dallas!

Brog

Amazed to read Mac's column in the Startlegram today saying the not full stadium at the game yesterday shows the Rangers should be moved to downtown Dallas.    Here's his conclusion:

Maybe it is the heat. Or maybe it’s the electronic age where watching a game at home is not only cheaper, but with HDTV often just as good. Or maybe the thing just needs to be in downtown Dallas.

He ignores the fact that the game was a sellout (that means all seats sold), that the game began at noon on a working day when lots of ticket holders just couldn't get off work.  He could, of course, because he's a sports writer.  Strange for a Startlegram writer to push this kind of agenda in front of the Arlington vote a month from now on whether to approve the new Ranger building program.  

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article106811042.html#storylink=cpy

Pharm Frog

I think they should move to Waco along with the Dallas Cowboys. I would enjoy having a growing percentage of my sports' hate centrally located.

frognutz

How many other teams are building brand new baseball parks in the middle of nowhere?  I'll hang up and listen.

Klaw

Arlington is honestly the worst place to put a stadium. No mass transit and it sucks driving there.

I think it should be moved to the former reunion arena property. Easy access by Dart and TRE and the majority of the metro area lives on the Dallas side.

The AA has done well because of this.

Tarrant county just doesn't deserve it

Brog

Klaw said:
Arlington is honestly the worst place to put a stadium. No mass transit and it sucks driving there.

I think it should be moved to the former reunion arena property. Easy access by Dart and TRE and the majority of the metro area lives on the Dallas side.

I forget.  Where in Rockwall do you live?

DeuceBoogieNights

Klaw said:

If anybody doesn't deserve it, it's the [ Finebaum ]ty city of Dallas.

Big Frog II

All of these Ranger fans snapped up these tickets before they knew what time the games were.  Then we get the 3 and noon start.  They probably screwed up a whole bunch of plans.

Frozen Frog

There are several problems with building the new stadium in Arlington.  It is a pain to get to Arlington.  There is no mass transit, and the traffic is horrible.  There are also not large groups of people directly around the stadium from which to draw.  The business community in Arlington isn't able to properly support the stadium.  These issues lead to a lack of a walk up crowd.  With stadium being an hour away from many fans it forces many fans to take nearly a full day off from work to attend day games.

Building it in one of the two downtown areas allows for the stadium to take advantage of those areas.  There is already a large group of people in the area that can walk up to games.  The mass transit system allows those who are not in the immediate are to find alternate ways to get to games.  People who choose to drive to games can take advantage of the hub and spoke freeway systems.  Afternoon games become less of an issue as people are already in the area for work.  It allows people to take half days or even return to work after the game.

FrogFrog

dkfrog said:
I agree with him...

I'd also accept a move to FW, but get them to a downtown stadium.
Agree with this and Mac. It should be moved to Dallas or FW.

Minute Maid was awesome to get off work and walk to the game. Then when you leave, downtowns are designed to dissipate traffic in a hurry.

Frozen Frog

dkfrog said:
I agree with him...

I'd also accept a move to FW, but get them to a downtown stadium.

There are a few areas of downtown Dallas, but downtown FTW near one of the TRE stops would also be awesome.

dkfrog

3rd option: high speed rail line between downtowns with one stop near stadiums in Arlington.

Would never happen though bc they need parking revenue to cover obligations...

MTfrog5

I'm confused but have any of y'all driven in Dallas? I understand Arlington is a pain at times but holy hell Dallas is the biggest cluster in the metroplex.

Realtorfrog

I don't want a new stadium, don't think baseball should be played indoors but if they did move I wouldn't renew my season tickets.

Frozen Frog

MTfrog5 said:
I'm confused but have any of y'all driven in Dallas? I understand Arlington is a pain at times but holy hell Dallas is the biggest cluster in the metroplex.

Dallas traffic can be horrid, but I will take it over Arlington.  The biggest traffic issues in Dallas are largely a result of some of the newer suburbs fighting mass transit.  They are afraid of becoming low income commuter suburbs.  Frisco and Allen are the biggest ones fighting it.

Volare

Klaw said:

Give me a break. There are more season ticket holders in Tarrant County than Dallas County.