• The KillerFrogs

BIG mulling no divisions and 8 game conference schedule

Endless Purple

The conference game set up depends on if you are trying to get your 1st team in a playoff or your 2nd team. If it stays at 4 teams, then top 2 need to be in CCG.

12 teams - 2 divisions works best with 5 division games and 3 cross-division, that gives a chance to play every team every other year. IT also gives 4 home/4 away for balanced scheduling. Also, no one says the 4th OOC game has to be FCS or bottom G5 teams, it can be a team where you can win but still have competition. A chance for the conference to go better than 5-5 for that game slot.

14 or 16 teams can work fine with no divisions and a few permanent rivals. Pods also for 16. Pods with 14 teams is stupid unless it is two "pods" of 7.

PS. Until someone explains the details of what the scheduling alliance actually is, I wont lose sleep over it.

asleep003

I believe if BYU was not been invited to the Big 12, the #12 slot would have gone to UMemphis not USF. It would have enlarged the B12 footprint.
Would disagree with the Memphis opinion, ba$ed $imply on the M$A of Tampa is well over 2 times that of Memphis'... secondly a regional Big12
partner member near by. Actually pulled for USFL over BYU.

Virginia Frog

Would disagree with the Memphis opinion, ba$ed $imply on the M$A of Tampa is well over 2 times that of Memphis'... secondly a regional Big12
partner member near by. Actually pulled for USFL over BYU.
It could have been a "jump ball" between the two.

Tampa/Fla Gulf Coast a fertile area for fans and recruits. Memphis geographically fits the "new" B12 with sheer proximity with a one day drivable distance - for Cinci, TCU, BU, OkSt, Houston, KU, even IowaSt) and it puts us in the "Mid South" and TV/fan interests in north Miss/eastern Arky and maybe Nashville too. (It's 15.5 hrs to Memphis and 17.5 to Tampa for me in WDC so neither one is a weekend road trip for me.)

If I was voting, I'd go Memphis. USF would be a solid addition. It's possible they'll both join us at some future point.

Last edited:

HG73

Given the ability to choose, I would have taken either over Brigham Young....Only a two-time zone conference that way instead of the three-zone unweildy concoction Big 12 will become....
I wasn't for BYU either, but they were the only school that added value.

Are three time zones good for TV? Or bad?

Froginbedford

I wasn't for BYU either, but they were the only school that added value.

Are three time zones good for TV? Or bad?
I think it's bad for TV night games and it's bad for reporting game results from either MST or EST for those who (unbelievable in today's world) may not have webnetwideinterworld access....And BYU's value will follow the BYU's administration when it bolts for the door if BYU can't doesn't dominate the conference (see WAC and MWC)....

HG73

BYU will be just another member. And where would they bolt to? Nobody else wants them except the Independent Conference.

I agree that they are toxic as hell but I also don't know who they could push around. They realize just how fortunate they are right now.