• The KillerFrogs

Big East might still come after TCU?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Not sure what sports talk show a friend was listening to, but said it was mentioned that the Big East could try to take TCU to replace anything they lose and to get in Texas market ... thoughts on that? I don't like it, personally. Don't think it would be a good move for us.

NativeFrog

Would prefer the MWC over the Big East. We need to stay in the MWC, unless the SEC or the Big 10 (or the Big 11 or whatever it ends up as) come calling.

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 10 2010, 01:27 PM) [snapback]573801[/snapback]
Not sure what sports talk show a friend was listening to, but said it was mentioned that the Big East could try to take TCU to replace anything they lose and to get in Texas market ... thoughts on that? I don't like it, personally. Don't think it would be a good move for us.

I've heard no rumor of the like here. Obviously I'd like it for very selfish reasons, but I'm not sure its all that probable nor particularly beneficial given the continued instablility of that conference. We might get a BCS autobid for a few years, but if the SEC raids the ACC? The ACC raids the BE again? With the Big 12 gone and a Pac 16 seemingly maxed out, the MWC could be a pretty stable conference.

But that auto-bid would be awfully enticing ...

QUOTE(Fred Garvin @ Jun 10 2010, 01:30 PM) [snapback]573813[/snapback]
Why don't we just join a European soccer league? They have more in common with us than the Big Least.

We used to be in the same conference as 3 BE members. And our '38 MNC came at the defeat of Carnegie Tech, which is a short 5 minute walk from the Pitt campus ...

And we lost to WVU in the '84 Bluebonnet!

Plus everybody can stay at my house and gohorned's house when we play Pitt ...

Come on, we have tons in common.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Duquesne Frog @ Jun 10 2010, 12:35 PM) [snapback]573823[/snapback]
Come on, we have tons in common.

Don't forget basketball......

BABYFACE

QUOTE(StealthFrog @ Jun 10 2010, 12:28 PM) [snapback]573806[/snapback]
if they keep their AQ status...........then we have to jump on it

Not, if the MWC absorbs a few of the big 12 leftovers and gets an autobid. There would be no advantage to the BE at that point. Plus, BE is future ACC raid from becoming a basketball conference.

halfwaytoheaven

QUOTE(TopFrog @ Jun 10 2010, 12:27 PM) [snapback]573801[/snapback]

I don't care for it, but it would bring us a bit more money, and regardless of who they lose to expansion, the Big East would be a step up for basketball, and it could provide a shot of life to our men's program. I'm thinking the Big East might try to snatch up some Big 12 leftovers. Missouri and Kansas could be good additions to that conference. I think we might just see how some of this shakes out before we make a move to the Big East.

HUT-Frog

Even if the Big East called right now, TCU could NOT accept it. The Big East at this moment is sitting in fear of the ACC. The ACC could pull as many as five -- UConn, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Louisville -- if it wanted to.

Until the Big East football conference is assured that the ACC doesn't come calling, there is no reason for anybody to join. It might not be a conference by the end of the summer.

Same reason Utah and BYU can't accept a Big XII invite right now.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Jun 10 2010, 12:36 PM) [snapback]573827[/snapback]
Not, if the MWC absorbs a few of the big 12 leftovers and gets an autobid. There would be no advantage to the BE at that point. Plus, BE is future ACC raid from becoming a basketball conference.

Agree.

JugbandFrog

1) More money
2) more national media exposure. Not only would we have our Texas writers rooting for us, but the East Coast writers. There are a lot in a compact space out there and that makes a difference when it comes to what people think of you.

Of course, we need to see what happens in the next few weeks.

QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Jun 10 2010, 01:36 PM) [snapback]573827[/snapback]

I think we do have to be concerned about a Big East only losing Rutgers and competing with the MWC for the Big 12 left overs. That basketball conference would be awfully enticing to Kansas and Missouri ...

Limey Frog

This is crazy talk. I am getting very frustrated with the MWC delay on adding Boise and worried that we're going to invite some detritus like Iowa State.

If the Big XII's impending disintegration teaches anything it is that a conference needs cohesion and unity to survive. It needs a unifying ethos and some integrity of geography and history. For the SEC that ethos is hardcore, big time football. For the ACC it's basketball. For the Pac-10 it has always been the very separate history of the eight major coastal institutions. For the Big Ten it's being a bunch of snotty northern douchbags who think it's still 1970.

The Big East has no unity, no cohesion and is even more unstable than the Big XII. The MWC, on the other hand, is built around a core of six institutions with historic and geographic ties that provide real cohesion. The guiding ethos is the quest for AQ status through improved football. BYU, Utah, TCU, and Boise constitute a group of four very strong football programs around which the conference can build. This group can remain stable while everything else is going to utter madness.

We need to add Boise now and cast our football lot in permanently with these three other top 25 programs. Any other move would be suicide. Adding anyone but the Kansas schools and Boise would be a backward step for our conference.

StealthFrog

QUOTE(BABYFACE @ Jun 10 2010, 05:36 PM) [snapback]573827[/snapback]
Not, if the MWC absorbs a few of the big 12 leftovers and gets an autobid.

if that were to happen then yes, but if it doesn't........

BABYFACE

QUOTE(HUT-Frog @ Jun 10 2010, 12:38 PM) [snapback]573832[/snapback]
Even if the Big East called right now, TCU could NOT accept it. The Big East at this moment is sitting in fear of the ACC. The ACC could pull as many as five -- UConn, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, West Virginia and Louisville -- if it wanted to.

Until the Big East football conference is assured that the ACC doesn't come calling, there is no reason for anybody to join. It might not be a conference by the end of the summer.

Same reason Utah and BYU can't accept a Big XII invite right now.

Yessiree!

QUOTE(Limey Frog @ Jun 10 2010, 01:44 PM) [snapback]573852[/snapback]
The Big East has no unity, no cohesion and is even more unstable than the Big XII. The MWC, on the other hand, is built around a core of six institutions with historic and geographic ties that provide real cohesion. The guiding ethos is the quest for AQ status through improved football. BYU, Utah, TCU, and Boise constitute a group of four very strong football programs around which the conference can build. This group can remain stable while everything else is going to utter madness.

See the Pac 16 fall through and Utah get an invite West and how far that cohesion and loyalty lasts. As things stand now, I'd be generally opposed to jumping to the Big East. But loyalty is for suckers when it comes to college football. We should have learned that lesson well by now.

We need to add Boise now and cast our football lot in permanently with these three other top 25 programs. Any other move would be suicide. Adding anyone but the Kansas schools and Boise would be a backward step for our conference.

I'm not opposed to adding ISU. I am opposed to adding Baylor. Call me a hypocrite ...

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
QUOTE(Duquesne Frog @ Jun 10 2010, 12:43 PM) [snapback]573851[/snapback]
That basketball conference would be awfully enticing to Kansas and Missouri ...

No doubt.