• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 vs SEC bowl season

BABYFACE

What, I thought Georgia deserved to be in the CFB playoff since there were probably the 2nd best team in the country after Alabama. Well, that was the BS floated by ESPN talking heads and believed by a few at this board.

Reality: Alabama is damn good, the rest of the SEC is very solid but overrated. Probably the best conference top to bottom this season, but not by the margin as the media would have us believe.

asleep003

What, I thought Georgia deserved to be in the CFB playoff since there were probably the 2nd best team in the country after Alabama. Well, that was the BS floated by ESPN talking heads and believed by a few at this board.

Reality: Alabama is damn good, the rest of the SEC is very solid but overrated. Probably the best conference top to bottom this season, but not by the margin as the media would have us believe.

And obviously the Big 12 is underrated... as Dogs in all 7 bowl games. Love the 4 wins and especially the 3 against the SEC.

Fosterpark Squatter

Even after the sugar bowl they're still better than Notre Dame, though lots of people can say that.

Chico Dusty

It wasn’t the narrative pushed by ESPN, as much as watching the actual games. Although I do agree ESPN pushes a narrative overall. If Bama is the best team in the country, Georgia had them beat the majority of the game - and didn’t looked outmatched at any point. In fact, the last 2 games (UGA vs. Bama) UGA lead for 119 out of 120 minutes. After watching the SEC game, it would be difficult to say Bama was the clear superior team. UGA losing to UT tonight doesn’t negate the previous game. I’m not sure why they lost - maybe UT is a better team, maybe UGA was overrated, maybe UGA was emotionally tapped from the Bama game, maybe UGA partied all week and didn’t take the game seriously. The answer is - we don’t really know. There are too many variables to just chalk it up to as UGA is overrated and not a great team. They played very poorly tonight - that I do know.

asleep003

It wasn’t the narrative pushed by ESPN, as much as watching the actual games. Although I do agree ESPN pushes a narrative overall. If Bama is the best team in the country, Georgia had them beat the majority of the game - and didn’t looked outmatched at any point. In fact, the last 2 games (UGA vs. Bama) UGA lead for 119 out of 120 minutes. After watching the SEC game, it would be difficult to say Bama was the clear superior team. UGA losing to UT tonight doesn’t negate the previous game. I’m not sure why they lost - maybe UT is a better team, maybe UGA was overrated, maybe UGA was emotionally tapped from the Bama game, maybe UGA partied all week and didn’t take the game seriously. The answer is - we don’t really know. There are too many variables to just chalk it up to as UGA is overrated and not a great team. They played very poorly tonight - that I do know.
Chico, as some of your points could be the case ... GA had a month to get over the Bama loss, just as UT had to get over their CCG loss to OU too. This was an NY6 Bowl game and if a team can't get up and ready for it … they don't belong in it.

TooColdU

It makes sense that Georgia always plays Bama close since their head coach worked for Saban for 10 years, 4 of his 5 national championships.

Kirby Smart coached with Saban at LSU, with the Miami Dolphins, and followed him to Alabama when Saban got hired there. Maybe he knows Saban’s tendencies better than most?

Also, people forget that Tua hurt both ankles in the SEC championship. The first was on Bama’s 1st drive and then the more serious one was in the 4th.

Last edited:

Chico Dusty

Chico, as some of your points could be the case ... GA had a month to get over the Bama loss, just as UT had to get over their CCG loss to OU too. This was an NY6 Bowl game and if a team can't get up and ready for it … they don't belong in it.

Just because they lost the game, doesn’t mean they didn’t belong in it. Anyone can say that after the fact. They earned the right to play in it - no matter what happens in the actual game. That’s like a team going to super bowl and then losing to a better team that night - and saying they don’t belong in it/or deserve to be there. The mere fact that they played in the game means they belonged, as they earned that right. My point is - just because they lost tonight and played poorly, doesn’t mean they are overrated. If you watched their game against Bama - you would say they were anything but the real deal. So which is it? One night against clearly the best team in the country, they aren’t overrated and then another night they clearly didn’t look like a legit contender. Maybe they are overrated - maybe they aren’t...who knows? Texas was the better team tonight - that I do know.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
From reading a lot of the stuff UGA players were saying about UT and the B12, I’m not sure they took this game as seriously as they should. I’m not saying it is like Auburn let down by playing Central Florida or FSU playing UH. But, I think it played into it a bit thinking they were “relegated” to a non final 4 bowl. Texas had the fire in the belly, I’m not sure UGA did.

I just hope the orange plague goes into next year over confident thinking they are the next coming of Street, Koy and Bertelsen.

notyalc

Bama and UT had one thing in common. Jump all over your opponent right out of the gate. You may mount a come back but its likely not a enough against a high quality team. Especially those defenses.

Moose Stuff

The SEC also beat teams ranked 4, 7, 8, and 12 this bowl season. It’s a pretty wide margin IMO.