• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 votes no on adding 3rd baseball coach

Pharm Frog

Likely unpopular opinion on this but I have no problem with the way anyone has voted on this given the connection between softball and baseball. Had a conversation last night with someone who has a daughter playing softball in the Big12 and he told me that some of the softball head coaches do not want an additional coach on their staff. And he said that they don't want to be forced to hire one and feel like they would be by internal and external pressure. The conversation altered the way I had viewed this. With TCU not having a softball program it makes complete sense to vote in favor. Others may have to think about it a bit more. Wonder what a straight up or down vote on simply the third baseball coach would have yielded? That said, this is going to pass.

MTfrog5

Likely unpopular opinion on this but I have no problem with the way anyone has voted on this given the connection between softball and baseball. Had a conversation last night with someone who has a daughter playing softball in the Big12 and he told me that some of the softball head coaches do not want an additional coach on their staff. And he said that they don't want to be forced to hire one and feel like they would be by internal and external pressure. The conversation altered the way I had viewed this. With TCU not having a softball program it makes complete sense to vote in favor. Others may have to think about it a bit more. Wonder what a straight up or down vote on simply the third baseball coach would have yielded? That said, this is going to pass.
All they have to do is come out and say they don’t want the extra coach. Nobody is forcing them to add another coach so if they don’t want it then move on

MTfrog5

Really...that's how you think it would work on a college campus in 2019?
Since there is a choice it should, and softball coaches should not just vote no because they don’t want it at this time. They also need to realize they have less players so the need for another coach isn’t the same as baseball. Another example of Title IX punishing men sports with unintended consequences.

flyfishingfrog

this is the point where I admit I obviously don't understand the overall problem or the objection in detail - because it seems like a no brainer to me to approve this but evidently it is far from it.

Pharm Frog

We have no way of knowing if any Yes votes would have turned to No votes but I do find it interesting that the death of this proposal appears to be its softball link which was presented as having to be included to get to Yes on the baseball issue.

BABYFACE

I could be wrong, but I doubt AD’s are going to force a HC to hire a 3rd assistant. The only way I could see it forced is Title IX. I am not sure if that is in play.

When the NCAA increased paid FB positions for D1 staffs, no one forced to fill the newly created positions. Just an option for programs that choose to staff those positions.

jake102

We have no way of knowing if any Yes votes would have turned to No votes but I do find it interesting that the death of this proposal appears to be its softball link which was presented as having to be included to get to Yes on the baseball issue.

The same reason why football players (and potentially basketball) don't get paid.

Pharm Frog

I could be wrong, but I doubt AD’s are going to force a HC to hire a 3rd assistant. The only way I could see it forced is Title IX. I am not sure if that is in play.

When the NCAA increased paid FB positions for D1 staffs, no one forced to fill the newly created positions. Just an option for programs that choose to staff those positions.

AD's wouldn't be the ones "forcing" a hire nor the ones mandating that any hire fits the school's preferred profile for hiring. But can you imagine a scenario where a baseball program decides to add a third paid assistant coach and the softball does not? Do you think that would stand up under campus and media pressure? When it comes to Title IX issues, there's really quite little "choice".

BABYFACE

AD's wouldn't be the ones "forcing" a hire nor the ones mandating that any hire fits the school's preferred profile for hiring. But can you imagine a scenario where a baseball program decides to add a third paid assistant coach and the softball does not? Do you think that would stand up under campus and media pressure? When it comes to Title IX issues, there's really quite little "choice".
I don’t think it would be an issue unless softball HC wants 3rd assistant and AD says no, and baseball has a 3rd assistant. Then, it could be problem.

Pharm Frog

I don’t think it would be an issue unless softball HC wants 3rd assistant and AD says no, and baseball has a 3rd assistant. Then, it could be problem.

Okay. I don't agree with you that this would be the only problematic scenario but not worth arguing about.