• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Revenue Update

Wexahu

Paging Arizona and Arizona State. COME ON DOWN....You are the next contestants in THE BIG XII IS RIGHT! That would be great and easy flight trips for TCU fans out of DFW and Houston.

Seriously, Big XII can go back to 12, Pac 10 can go back to being 10 and TCU is good for damn near ever! The two Arizona schools can join their fellow conservative state institutions in Texas to form the Big 12's Southwest division, the others form the north division and we are GOOD! Future will be secured. Then all TCU has to do is keep winning on the field and keep up in the building arms race, which I think both are definite.

Option 2, Gary wins a national championship this coming season and we are also good for a long time.

It really would work well. The divisions are even very evenly matched, on paper at least. Our division would maybe be a bit tougher but not by much.

Arizona
Arizona State
Texas
TCU
Texas Tech
Baylor

Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
West Virginia

MAcFroggy

One tidbit from the article about the big 12 ""Now? It's hard envisioning Texas and Oklahoma from the Big 12 placing their futures with the Pac-12. In two years, both schools will be earning approximately $50 million each in annual media rights."

I am not 100% sure how much OU makes from their tier 3 rights, but I believe it is in the $6M-$8M range. If that is the case then Dennis Dodd (who is one of the best reporters in regards to college football revenue, conferences, etc) expects the big 12 to be dishing out over $40M per school in two years.

Wexahu

I think this tweet is a little extreme. I do not really think the PAC-12 is going to no longer be a power conference. They are only slightly behind the ACC and Big 12 in terms of revenue.

I also do not really see any programs leaving the PAC 12 because it is more than just athletics to a lot of those schools. They all have massive alumni bases in CA and have tons of students attend their schools out of CA (particularly southern CA). On top of that they get to associate with Cal, UCLA, USC, and Stanford which are some of the premier universities in the world. I do not any of the PAC-12 schools would give all that up for an additional $5M-$10M for athletics.

The Arizona schools are a little different though. There are a ton of people that came from the midwest in Arizona. UA/ASU have virtually nothing in common with Stanford, Cal, or the Oregon or Washington schools (who cares about OSU and WSU anyway, they are just riding coattails).

Salfrog

Tier 1
From what I've heard from family in Arizona, neither Arizone school has been very happy with the PAC-12 since they went to 12 teams. It hasn't been that big of a secret. I think they would both be very interested in the BIG12. Not saying it will happen because I don't think the BIG12 is that interested.

HG73

Would the Arizonas view a schedule of the Texas schools as better than playing the two LA teams, Colorado and Utah?

When does the PAC GOR expire? If it expires before the Big12 then we will find out their plans at that time.

Would another time zone benefit the Big12? Or would it be better to get ACC teams?

Would the Arizonas bring enough to raise everybody's revenue?

What does it all mean?

Wexahu

I’d rather have Colorado and Utah then this Arizona schools.

I’d take either pair but I think there’s at least an outside chance we get UA and ASU (if expanding is still in the cards). Utah and Colorado seem like more natural fits for the P12 too, I wouldn't think they'd have any interest in leaving. The division splits would make less sense too.

TCUdirtbag

I’d take either pair but I think there’s at least an outside chance we get UA and ASU (if expanding is still in the cards). Utah and Colorado seem like more natural fits for the P12 too, I wouldn't think they'd have any interest in leaving. The division splits would make less sense too.

Sure, I don’t play golf but I love the mountains, so I just like the thought of having salt lake and the Denver area as travel destinations rather than Phoenix.

Big Frog II

Having Arizona and ASU in the league means no playing football in the snow compared to Utah and Colorado. The U of A and ASU also have better basketball and baseball.

Eight

curious if the $7M increase would offset the increased travel costs for all sports and the increased difference to travel for recruiting.

phoenix is ~ 400 miles from southern california and tucson is just under 500 as opposed to over 1,000 miles to the metroplex.

both have some texas kids on their football rosters, but if i had to bet i would guess the breakdown for all sports is a heavy split of az and so cal kids. remove the chance to play at home on an annual basis as well as play in those markets and they may have a negative impact on recruiting. it damn sure hurt nebraska