• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Media Days: Day 2 (WVU, Texas, Baylor, KSU & OSU) - LIVE BLOG

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Waco Trib - "Who do you think will be defensive playmakers?"

I think TCU and ISU proved you can play defense in the Big XII. We have to create turnovers, it starts up front, Ira Lewis, it's those guys time.

TxFrog1999

"What are your thoughts on the transfer rule?"

I don't have an issue with that, I've never blocked a kid from transferring. Our coaches wake up every day to make sure our kids are the best they can be, to be successful. So, if a player isn't right for our environment they should have a right to go.

TxFrog1999

Waco Trib - "Where do you expect development at QB in year 2?"

June Jones taught me when you play a True Freshman at QB they tend to throw it around and in the second year they dip a bit. During games last year he was telling me to calm down, he needs to grow, but keep that confidence.

TxFrog1999

"How close is the QB race?"

We knew we needed a graduate transfer. QB position has been hard. Jalen is a young man of faith and knew Baylor would be a good fit for him. As for the race I haven't done anything with him yet.

TxFrog1999

24/7 - "Reflection on the Baylor Phrase 'to you I hand the torch'?"

I spoke to our alumni yesterday and told them that these 4 guys I brought graduated and decided to come back, these guys will be pro players, but they chose to come back. Those guys understand that it's not just about stats but how you lead the young guys, how we move the program forward and stand for something.

TxFrog1999

Reddit - "How close is this team to where you want to get it?"

It's all a process. If we stayed healthy we would be a pretty good football team, but we played a lot of guys that weren't ready for college football yet. The roster is coming around, but it's youthful experience.

netty2424

Okay, further explanation on this rule change.

Situation - 4th quarter 17 seconds left, QB rolling out and as he's being tackled he gets the ball off and it's incomplete. On replay his knee was down before releasing the ball. The clock should not have stopped and it is reversed as a sack. Since the clock did stop (incomplete) the clock will be reset to the time his knee was down then a 10 second run off will occur. They explained it as 10 seconds is the average amount of time a team would take to reset. He did not mention if a time out could be used to save the runoff, but given how other run off rules work I think that is the case.
This is going to be a disaster of a rule. Imo if an official misses the call or it takes a review to be sure the call is correct, then stop the clock, review it, get it right. No need to penalize a team by an officials need to review. Maybe I'm not fully understanding the point, but for me, this is something derived in a room full of job justifiers.

TxFrog1999

This is going to be a disaster of a rule. Imo if an official misses the call or it takes a review to be sure the call is correct, then stop the clock, review it, get it right. No need to penalize a team by an officials need to review. Maybe I'm not fully understanding the point, but for me, this is something derived in a room full of job justifiers.
Burks was pretty clear that they'd rather let a play continue than prematurely or wrongly call a player down when replay can reverse it and get it right. The issue here is in the case where a call was wrong and overturned that results in what would have been a running clock is now stopped the offense will keep the stopped clock but incur a 10 second run off to represent the time it would take for the team to reset before the next snap. Again, I'm assuming a timeout could be used to preserve the 10 second run off, but he didn't go into that.

netty2424

Burks was pretty clear that they'd rather let a play continue than prematurely or wrongly call a player down when replay can reverse it and get it right. The issue here is in the case where a call was wrong and overturned that results in what would have been a running clock is now stopped the offense will keep the stopped clock but incur a 10 second run off to represent the time it would take for the team to reset before the next snap. Again, I'm assuming a timeout could be used to preserve the 10 second run off, but he didn't go into that.
Gotcha. Obviously they've done their research on the :10 time, and it makes sense I suppose. Just know how shippy that's going to be when that runoff kills a half or worse, ends the game if no timeouts are left to be offered up.

TxFrog1999

Gotcha. Obviously they've done their research on the :10 time, and it makes sense I suppose. Just know how shippy that's going to be when that runoff kills a half or worse, ends the game if no timeouts are left to be offered up.
Completely agree.

TxFrog1999

Kansas State - Bill Snyder

Right into questions for Snyder...

"How will you attack the new kickoff rule?"

We have been thinking about it, don't know if we have the best answer yet. Need to experience it during practice.

TxFrog1999

"What tactical changes has your new coordinator brought?"

Nothing really, we have a system that has been in place for a long time. We have a big notebook that pretty much covers everything in college football.

TxFrog1999

-- Snyder doesn't like the keeping up with the jonses mentality with facilities arms race, explains that if he was an academic professor sitting in an office the size of a closet at a school spending multi millions on a new stadium I'd be asking what is more important, education or football?

TxFrog1999

"How do you feel about the new transfer rule?"

I can't tell you that I have the answer, we just do what we're directed to do. I personally don't like it, there is a perception that if you're in that age group that you're identified across the nation that is in the group of instant self-gratification. I think we open the doors to that, and if I were a player that wanted on the field to play and couldn't do it I would think I should be at a different place, and I think we're teaching lessons contrary to how we were raised, that if you want something you work hard at it and continue to complete to make it happen. Some of the rules bypass that.