• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Media Days: Day 1 (TCU, KU, Tech, ISU & OU)

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
Question concerning gambling and injury reports vs HIPAA and FERPA considerations...

ACC has a three tier injury status report, doesn't go into specifics, but I think there is going to be a cry for more injury reports, but a simple system that doesn't go into what medications are being taken or specifics might work.

TxFrog1999

"Thoughts on alcohol sales"

Conference doesn't have a dog in the fight. Institutions have their own discretion on that point. Personally, selling Alcohol in the stadium is better than allowing fans out at half where they can binge before re-entering.

SuperBarrFrog

interesting. start-up out of seattle and until recently their helmets were ~$1,500 apiece. dropped that to $950 and curious if the big 12 deal drops that price anymore.

interesting articles about the company and curious if the price limits the number of game day helmet options for teams.

https://www.inc.com/magazine/201710/kevin-j-ryan/vicis-football-helmet.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-vicis-football-helmet/
I posted about these helmets long ago; glad they are gonna make their debut. It always seemed pretty obvious to me that if Put a softer layer around the outside of a helmet it would greatly reduce impacts. Not sure why it took so long to make it a reality.

TxFrog1999

"Any feedback on the early signing period?"

We had 70% sign in December. Most of the kids wanted to make their decision by October 1, coaches weren't enthusiastic about it, but players and parents are happy with it.

TxFrog1999

"How is Big XII adapting to lower TV viewership?"

Mobile consumption is higher now, Neilson is now tracking that for the first time, but we're [content owners] in a good position. I suspect that cable will decline but never go away, it's too big. Mobile will grow, but no one knows what it's going to be like in three years.

jake102

"Thoughts on alcohol sales"

Conference doesn't have a dog in the fight. Institutions have their own discretion on that point. Personally, selling Alcohol in the stadium is better than allowing fans out at half where they can binge before re-entering.

Yep. Everyone will go to no re-entry and alcohol sales.

TxFrog1999

"State of the Baylor Athletic Program... Concern about losing membership in the BXII, was that ever a topic of discussion?"

I'm not going to get into the specifics of the Baylor situation, we're doing a verification, but not an investigation. We've already said publicly that we'll submit a written report when we're done.

-- I don't think he liked that question.

TxFrog1999

"Concern about game time regarding reply?"

We're very conscious of game time, we need to make games shorter, but don't want to do anything concerning the rules to make them shorter, but replay helps us get decisions right. However, remote reply hasn't added any time by our measurements.

TxFrog1999

"Basketball one and done?"

We'd like to see players that don't want to pursue a college degree to go develop their skills professionally, and would like to see that rule go away.

MTfrog5

"State of the Baylor Athletic Program... Concern about losing membership in the BXII, was that ever a topic of discussion?"

I'm not going to get into the specifics of the Baylor situation, we're doing a verification, but not an investigation. We've already said publicly that we'll submit a written report when we're done.

-- I don't think he liked that question.
Screw that. If he doesn’t like it then do something about that program. He knows the conference won’t report anything new

TxFrog1999

Coach no on the stage

"Thoughts about the upcoming season...?"

People say coaches don't like Media Days, but I love them. It gives me a chance to be Gary.

Coming off a 11-3 season playing in the championship game and winning a bowl. I'm looking forward learning everything from reading the magazines like y'all.

TxFrog1999

We were thought of as being young on defense but we grew up, and this year we're young on offense. We have a strong schedule/ Everyone wants to talk about Ohio State, but we're going to worry about TCU and Southern.