• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Limey Frog

Robbins seems utterly pissed off here. Feels like he's getting sick of the Pac 12 office using their media mouthpieces to put out false narratives to the end of stalling for time.

At this point their false information also seems to be preemptive spin work intended to shift blame to Colorado, which is pretty pathetic, frankly. "Hey, we had a GOR agreed! Colorado bailed right before ten months of public incompetence produced a killer $40M/yr per school deal, damn them."

Last edited:

Limey Frog

USC and UCLA (in collusion with the Big10) destroyed the PAC and everyone will remember that.
Pac working on their next press leak:
iu

82 Frog Fever

USC and UCLA (in collusion with the Big10) destroyed the PAC and everyone will remember that.
The P12 killed themselves when they arrogantly voted NO on 2021 expansion.

If they had added 4 to 6 B12 teams, they’d be the solid #3 conference & the B12 would be dead.
Instead, they moved forward with 1/3 of the entire conference media valuation attributed to one team, USC. …and no plan in place as to how it could be replaced.

USC stopped the leeching by saying yes when opportunity knocked, while the rest of the P12 lemmings said no. A fatal decision.

None of those moves, OUT to the SEC, or USC-UCLA to the B1G, happen without the connivance of the Networks. While there is some blame to be distributed to the greedy bas... Big Programs involved, the main weight should fall on FOX and ESPN. Without their willingness to foot the bill, nothing happens.
We would join sec or big 10 in one second or less if we were offered to join.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
We would join sec or big 10 in one second or less if we were offered to join.
Yes, but the bemoaning of the Fall of the Old Conferences is silly without a proper focus upon the instigator, is it not? We have been here before, and I believe we are in a better position than last time.

Can the Super Conference model work with the fees necessary to sustain it? Or will the costs cause a collapse?

Fred Garvin

I service the entire Quad Cities Area
It sounds to me that the PAC12 schools have agreed to the structure and terms of the grant of rights provided they are OK with the TV contract. However, they have no TV deal that they agree. The reporter implying that by agreeing to the grant of rights, everyone was staying put was engaging in wishful thinking.

They have been promising the new TV deal will be done in 2 weeks for about 22 weeks now. Its pretty clear that their TV deal won't be as good as the Big12's deal. But will it be bad enough that some teams jump ship?

HG73

Yes, but the bemoaning of the Fall of the Old Conferences is silly without a proper focus upon the instigator, is it not? We have been here before, and I believe we are in a better position than last time.

Can the Super Conference model work with the fees necessary to sustain it? Or will the costs cause a collapse?
ESPN? Is that you?

The B1G has always had the $$ advantage but remains the Big3 and little 11.
The SEC will always have the talent because that's where the best (black) players are.

Big Frog II

I think by the end of the month Colorado and Arizona will make up their minds. They are very frustrated with their conference leadership. They pretty much have told them, have a deal by the end of June or we are looking elsewhere.

East Coast

Tier 1
I've decided not to trust what I see on anything P12 as *twice* I've seen clear signs they were trying to close, and nothing happened. That could mean they failed, could mean I'm wrong, or both? Regardless, I'm going to stick to TCU, B12, and industry stuff which I feel I know far better. Much easier when it's 1st hand or 2nd.

When the book is written on the P12 saga, I think it'll be interesting to find out what was really going on behind the scenes. My GUT is telling me that practically nothing was happening, and P12 was stalling because they didn't have a viable path. Maybe they'll find one in the end?
I think you are right. Under normal circumstances, that the PAC 12 doesn't have a deal yet wouldn't be alarming, as they still have close to a year to put one in place before things get dicey. The issue now is BY has been aggressive, and they have already lost their #1 and another of their top 4 value schools.

I don't know how long after June 30 schools could change conferences in time for the 2024 season, but it can't be that much. It seems obvious to me that even Colorado's and Arizona's leadership don't want to move (to the Big12 at least), and will do so only as a last resort.

East Coast

Tier 1
It sounds to me that the PAC12 schools have agreed to the structure and terms of the grant of rights provided they are OK with the TV contract. However, they have no TV deal that they agree. The reporter implying that by agreeing to the grant of rights, everyone was staying put was engaging in wishful thinking.

They have been promising the new TV deal will be done in 2 weeks for about 22 weeks now. Its pretty clear that their TV deal won't be as good as the Big12's deal. But will it be bad enough that some teams jump ship?
Interestingly, they have no changed that narrative to a vague sometime soon.

Limey Frog

I think you are right. Under normal circumstances, that the PAC 12 doesn't have a deal yet wouldn't be alarming, as they still have close to a year to put one in place before things get dicey. The issue now is BY has been aggressive, and they have already lost their #1 and another of their top 4 value schools.

I don't know how long after June 30 schools could change conferences in time for the 2024 season, but it can't be that much. It seems obvious to me that even Colorado's and Arizona's leadership don't want to move (to the Big12 at least), and will do so only as a last resort.
Exactly; I think this is spot on.

From a Big 12 perspective, it sucks that the leadership at CU and 'Zona seem terrified to apply the maxim that "what must be done eventually is best done now," but I understand their position. They'll take public blame if they jump (unjustified though it would be), and they'll be accused of sanctioning a lateral move to a conference that is less "academically prestigious" in that ill-defined and irrelevant way that inevitably appends itself to all such discussions. These are all things college trustees and presidents don't like.

What they do like is comparative anonymity with anyone who isn't also a high-level education industry muckety muck, and the ability to claim credit for very large increases of dollar figures in important spreadsheet columns. A move to the Big 12 doesn't check those boxes.

I think a good summary and my sense is that it unlikely to be "bad" enough for teams to jump, at least in this cycle.