• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

Froginbedford

I don't get the Gonzaga thing, but if you're going to try it and the maths works, I'd get Gonzaga, Creighton, Villanova, and St. John's (or U Conn but not in football). Try to take the Big East's place in the basketball landscape, and basically have a basketball superleague if you end up with several Pac schools joining as well.

But I think we're better off not adding non-football members.

No non-football members....

NORMLFROG

Right, elitist academic types can tell themselves and others whatever they want, but the decisions will always follow the way the money is generated and distributed in the end. So if you want to know what is happening and is likely to happen, it's best to ask people who understand that part of the process.

Right now it doesn't look likely that the Pac will come up with something which satisfies what everyone has said are their non-negotiables. How non-negotiable those things turn out to be, and what, if anything, that means for the Big 12 time will tell.

I'm glad the Big 12 is in the position we're in right now, though. It's remarkable when you think back to how it all felt in the summer of 2021. We were dead and buried, then this happened...

xKWwby.gif

I can just imagine Bruce Pritchard and Vince huddled over a yellow note pad with a pen, passing a joint back and forth saying, "Can we make him levitate?"

NF

82 Frog Fever

Again, I think the Gonzaga deal is contingent upon poaching some PAC teams.
We’ll soon see, if they have an offer, they will likely announce within a week or 10 days after the tournament.
I highly doubt any conference gives an invitation to a team that is contingent on another team accepting first.

LVH

Nick Khan has done a really good job with WWE. The product has been great over the past year, with the Bloodline storyline being the best WWE storyline in a decade, and rivals the nWo storyline from the WCW days. I think what he has to say matters

Limey Frog

wait, wait, wait......this thread has gone from academic and research grant dick measuring among the pac,big10, and big 12 schools to the thoughts of the guy who is running vince mcmahon's company?
Realignment speculation threads are just junior-varsity HASMSP. I assume anyone in this thread by page 56 to be a consenting adult.

Eight

Nick Khan has done a really good job with WWE. The product has been great over the past year, with the Bloodline storyline being the best WWE storyline in a decade, and rivals the nWo storyline from the WCW days. I think what he has to say matters

agree, just find it funny the direction the threads and links have taken

To me it’s simple unless a team any team brings more money to our conference than they cost why add them? Just doing it to kill your competition could increase your money down the road so I respect that argument. Unless each Big 12 member gets more money per year by adding a team I say no thanks.

Limey Frog

agree, just find it funny the direction the threads and links have taken
You're not wrong. We're hunting for scraps in a shroud of ignorance. I'm kind of ashamed of my level of interest in this story at this point.

On the other hand, basketball is over and my soccer team is an epic-scale disaster that I'm actively trying to avoid interest in. The long-term trajectory of the Big 12 as an indirect vector of TCU football's upward march to eternal glory and fame is the main sportsball story of interest in my life right now. Sad, really.

Limey Frog

To me it’s simple unless a team any team brings more money to our conference than they cost why add them? Just doing it to kill your competition could increase your money down the road so I respect that argument. Unless each Big 12 member gets more money per year by adding a team I say no thanks.
Fortunately the conference's leadership works pretty hard to answer those questions: they won't add anyone they don't think adds value. Not that they can't be wrong...

I say this happens all the time, just not publicized.
I keep coming back to the comments that The Athletic's Big 12 beat writer Max Olsen made last week, that people he talked to in the league seem confident of landing some or all of the 'the Four Corner' schools. Maybe they're mistaken; maybe they're "faking it 'til they make it". I don't know. But if they're also talking to Gonzaga and Co., maybe they do know something and they're getting a plan ready and will move on it quickly once the first real domino falls. That would be more consistent with the observable pattern in the Big 12 over the past 18 months than of the Pac 12, wouldn't it?

You're not wrong. We're hunting for scraps in a shroud of ignorance. I'm kind of ashamed of my level of interest in this story at this point.

On the other hand, basketball is over and my soccer team is an epic-scale disaster that I'm actively trying to avoid interest in. The long-term trajectory of the Big 12 as an indirect vector of TCU football's upward march to eternal glory and fame is the main sportsball story of interest in my life right now. Sad, really.
You are consumed by this, but you provide good info and thought that I appreciate. Our resident tracker and expert.

How about somebody begin a 2023 MLB baseball thread, it is Opening Day, and the games will only be about 2.5 hours long.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

Last edited:

Wexahu

Can we take 4 Pac 12 schools and tell UH, UC, UCF and BYU we changed our minds…
Was thinking along those same lines. It'd be better to tell UCF and Cincy sorry, we're changing our minds, and just focus and grabbing a few better options out west. But there's WVU sitting there.

Eight

Was thinking along those same lines. It'd be better to tell UCF and Cincy sorry, we're changing our minds, and just focus and grabbing a few better options out west. But there's WVU sitting there.

there is always hope they get the hint and find their way out