• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 in position to poach Pac 12 schools?

82 Frog Fever

Just that in your scenario, they will base their decision on the net $22 Million, as the other money is already gone.

Wilner has good sources within the PAC12, but they could easily be pumping sunshine to him, and he wants the PAC to survive. Of all the people saying anything, Marchand has the best media sources and as far as I know hasn't favored one side over the other. The PAC could easily be looking at a totally streaming deal, or one with 1 late game a week on ESPN on Friday/Saturday night. Marchand is stating the PAC and ESPN don't have an imminent deal, and knowing how Apple works he is doubtful they are close there either. The popcorn is popping, and if the PAC can't come up with something reasonable in the next 2 to 3 weeks the natives may get restless enough to grab a lifeboat.
Yes, the $50m is a one time thing. Unless it happens again.
To my knowledge, ESPN hasnt had any talks with the PAC12 in nearly 6 weeks. They are nowhere close.

Even Utah‘s President Randall today on ESPN 700 was hedging his bets. His statements were an indication of his loyalty to the Pac12, unless George doesn’t deliver a good contract.
Now Randall sounds just like Robbins at Arizona. They are both loyal until George fails to deliver.

The 4 corner schools are all in the very second George doesn’t delivery a competitive contract.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
To my knowledge, ESPN hasnt had any talks with the PAC12 in nearly 6 weeks. They are nowhere close.

Even Utah‘s President Randall today on ESPN 700 was hedging his bets. His statements were an indication of his loyalty to the Pac12, unless George doesn’t deliver a good contract.
Now Randall sounds just like Robbins at Arizona. They are both loyal until George fails to deliver.

The 4 corner schools are all in the very second George doesn’t delivery a competitive contract.
There is a rather deafening silence on this emanating from the BIGXII offices, eh?

hometown frog

I think BY has earned some space and trust on this topic from my perspective. We’ve certainly had other commissioners I would have been scared to death they were asleep at the wheel while other conf commissioners were running circles around us. But so far BY seems to be a step or two ahead of the others in the media market space.

82 Frog Fever

I think BY has earned some space and trust on this topic from my perspective. We’ve certainly had other commissioners I would have been scared to death they were asleep at the wheel while other conf commissioners were running circles around us. But so far BY seems to be a step or two ahead of the others in the media market space.
I think that guy is a brilliant business tactician. I’d certainly trust him before anyone else.

Not sure what he’s doing with Gonzaga though. If true that it’s all sports, that seems like a poor move.
Just for grins, I wonder what would happen if Gonzaga wanted to field a football team 5 years from now.

Last edited:

Limey Frog

This Forbes writer thinks the package offered will look roughly like this:

Let's begin with Apple TV+ they find a liner partner to sublease some games I still think Fox, CBS, or even the CW would be willing to listen to package for the right price. There could still be place for ESPN to have their Pac-12 After Dark package.

Amazon gets a Friday Night Game of the week meanwhile ESPN airs two Saturday with the rest airing on ESPN+ that would solve the liner issue but would the Worldwide Leader in Sports put up the cash to make everyone happy remains the issue.

Apple TV+ gets the whole package and ESPN gets two games one Friday and the other Saturday.

The number to beat or match is $31 million per member per year and everyone knows that anything less than $28 million is likely to cause some schools to at least consider a move to the Big 12....

I would assume his source here is the Pac 12 office. I still think it's likely that they pull this off, if only because moving conferences is such an institutional headache that you just don't do it unless it's for an obvious move up or to escape an untenable situation. I still don't think either of those applies to Arizona or Colorado right now. But this situation with Apple trying to sub-lease tier 1 rights and the whole thing being barely worth what the Big XII is getting would be a duct-tape job, meanwhile Oregon is just waiting their their phone to ring...

McFroggin

I would assume his source here is the Pac 12 office. I still think it's likely that they pull this off, if only because moving conferences is such an institutional headache that you just don't do it unless it's for an obvious move up or to escape an untenable situation. I still don't think either of those applies to Arizona or Colorado right now. But this situation with Apple trying to sub-lease tier 1 rights and the whole thing being barely worth what the Big XII is getting would be a duct-tape job, meanwhile Oregon is just waiting their their phone to ring...

Weak article. Streaming plus less $ than Big 12 should have everyone looking. The academics there have taken a major hit with UCLA and USC leaving. They were easily 2 of the top 4 in academics. Now it’s essentially Stanford and Cal with everyone else way below.

HG73

I think that guy is a brilliant business tactician. I’d certainly trust him before anyone else.

Not sure what he’s doing with Gonzaga though. If true that it’s all sports, that seems like a poor move.
Just for grins, I wonder what would happen if Gonzaga wanted to field a football team 5 years from now.
I bet Gonzaga invite is contingent on adding PAC teams. Crazy to add the Zags with only BYU between them and the rest of the Big12.

Regarding George, I wouldn't be too hard on him. He has a lowball offer and at least two (maybe four) teams that won't sign a GOR.

Hemingway

I just think at the end of the day that espn doesn’t want apple in college football. They’ll peel off the four corners out of the Pac somehow and let apple have the new mwc.

hometown frog

I just think at the end of the day that espn doesn’t want apple in college football. They’ll peel off the four corners out of the Pac somehow and let apple have the new mwc.
Brings up an interesting question. I agree that I don’t think ESPN wants Apple to really get into the sports broadcasting world. So for football what would they do to try and pay for that blockage? Assume that means pay a bit more to make sure apple doesnt get the content they want, but exactly how best would ESPN make that move? go ahead and pay more to keep the PAC in place and keep the status quo? Pay over value for certain schools to be incentivized to jump into one of their existing contacts (Ala Big XII) and let Apple decide if the remaining schools are worth paying for?

Limey Frog

Brings up an interesting question. I agree that I don’t think ESPN wants Apple to really get into the sports broadcasting world. So for football what would they do to try and pay for that blockage? Assume that means pay a bit more to make sure apple doesnt get the content they want, but exactly how best would ESPN make that move? go ahead and pay more to keep the PAC in place and keep the status quo? Pay over value for certain schools to be incentivized to jump into one of their existing contacts (Ala Big XII) and let Apple decide if the remaining schools are worth paying for?
I could definitely see ESPN deciding that if all they need is to have a Friday and Saturday late night slot, and their price is around $120M, that they're as well to throw that money at four new members of the Big XII as to try and deal with the headache of trying to make ten schools happy as members of an unstable Pac [N]. That said, it's hard enough to parse out any meaning from direct reports with sources on the record in this saga. Guess work based on multiple steps of conjecture are very likely to be off-base. I have no idea what anyone at ESPN thinks about Apple and college football.

Hemingway

I believe that @Gary's Shirtless Revenge said espn had 200 million for a part of the package. That’s not enough for a whole conference but the 4 corners could go to the big12 and get a large chunk of that 200 million.

82 Frog Fever

Limey touched on it the other day. It’s all about the give and take between % Streaming Vs Money.
Apple probably could get the PAC to $30m, but not without a HUGE streaming portion.
ESPN definitely could provide the linear coverage needed, but at a greatly reduced $$$ value.
Too much streaming or not enough money, pick your poison.

Presidents meet today and they want answers. It could be an interesting day.

jack the frog

Must the PAC “12” invite more members now or can they exist at 10 teams for a period? Is there an impossible scheduling or conference bylaw issue to overcome? All things being equal might a TV partner prefer 10 teams over adding a couple of no eyeball spare tires on an emergency basis.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Limey touched on it the other day. It’s all about the give and take between % Streaming Vs Money.
Apple probably could get the PAC to $30m, but not without a HUGE streaming portion.
ESPN definitely could provide the linear coverage needed, but at a greatly reduced $$$ value.
Too much streaming or not enough money, pick your poison.

Presidents meet today and they want answers. It could be an interesting day.
Remember: The streamers reportedly want the Universities to pick up the costs of production. Not at all inexpensive.

The meetings should be fun. The truth might be painful.

82 Frog Fever

Must the PAC “12” invite more members now or can they exist at 10 teams for a period? Is there an impossible scheduling or conference bylaw issue to overcome? All things being equal might a TV partner prefer 10 teams over adding a couple of no eyeball spare tires on an emergency basis.
It depends.
- If all 10 teams are delighted with the new contract and readily sign on; then staying at 10 might be doable and adding two Group teams wouldn’t be much of a benefit. SMU & SDSU will always be there for the taking.
- If the contract is seen as the bare minimum needed to hold the conference together; then SMU & SDSU would provide some insurance against any possible raid.
- If the contract is crap, Arizona & Colorado at a minimum will likely leave. SMU & SDSU would be must haves, and possibly a couple more Mtn West teams might be needed to stabilize the PAC.

hometown frog

Sounds like Pac presidents rejected the current offer today. (ESPN 1/2 key games, w the rest on Apple TV). Don’t think that’s surprising based upon several reports. So now what does PAC commish do for a next step or what does any one PAC school do in reaction….

(credit to MHver3 on the bird app for that intel. I tried to paste that tweet but it’s protected or something)