• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

asleep003

Ain't History grand... But if the horns can't still get over the hump by now, with by far the highest Nil in college ball... god bless'em .

Last edited:

Ron Swanson

Pieceofcake.png

SEC3.png
The embarrassing record against Vanderbilt is what stands out to me on that graphic

westoverhillbilly

I’ve followed Arkansas for many years as my son and an aunt went there. They were pretty isolated in the SEC and more than doubled that isolation when they went to the SEC. Same with A&M. Also, neither of those once proud programs have done anything significant since pointing east..

OU and Texas are taking on a huge gambit- one which will make one or both insignificant- a la current day Tennessee. I think OU is more likely to be the victim of insignificance but it very well could occur to Texas also. CFB is a zero sum game- rising waters don’t lift all boats.

LisaLT

Newsome is blowing smoke in California about UCLA. If he had an actual vote or a decision making role he would be making more definitive statements like "I am going to put a stop to this!" Right now he is posturing for the electorate. The fact that the school can make more cash in the B10 than the PAC pays, makes any move on his part draw him into a quagmire of pro and against people. Just sounding off is the safe way of saving face.
Would that be pot smoke, perhaps?

asleep003

The TV suits know the value of every school. Keep adding until the next one doesn't add anything to the TV deal.
I'm a firm believer in taking the bird in the hand. Would we have offered UH, CINN, UCF AND BYU if we knew we could get the 4 mountain teams? I don't know, but without the first 4 we may not be viewed as stable enough for the PAC teams... We must kill the PAC now while it is vulnerable. Less competition.
Doubt UA adds to any TV deal in the B12, it would take away. Utah would be splitting 3.3 mil pop with BYU... not another boost to a TV deal. ASU and Colorado, yes. MSA wise, Stanford/Cal, yes... but unlikely hopefuls waiting on a BIG invite. UO/UW, yes... but more likely BIG invites.

So, does that bring us back to your "adding until the next one doesn't add anything to the TV deal"... mean bringing in UA anyway and then possibly Utah.?.

Last edited:
Texas historic rivals are OU, A&M, and Piggy in that order. Going by this guy's argument, Texas should have been in the SEC a decade ago. TCU's historical rivals are SMU and Baylor. The B12 should add SMU.
Jeepers—the Longhorns had the rival Aggies and Sooners in the Big 12, and Arkansas in the previous SWC. You didn’t value that then, and displaced the Aggies, Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado, destroying a bunch of rivalries for the entire Big 12—it was stupid and RECKLESS. Can you agree to that? It is logical. Having a strong middle of the country conference of state flagships and a few others with its old rivalries would be good, correct? And when the Big 12 originated in 1994, maybe the Longhorns could have also done what it takes to bring Arkansas back to the Big 12, and maybe TCU eventually would have been added as the 14th school. The Longhorns needlessly tore apart what should be a great stable conference.

Last edited:
TCU's historical rivals are SMU and Baylor. The B12 should add SMU.
To SMU’s credit, they don’t appear to need P5 football—seems they are a self-reliant academic institution that draws top students on academic prestige alone. Sources show that their average incoming freshman SAT score is 1350 or 1390 and average ACT is 31.

TCU carries on with play versus their rival Mustangs. Horns Down didn’t continue their play with the Aggies and Piggys—and why is that, Longhorn, if you fans value those rivals as you claim?

Last edited:

asleep003

To SMU’s credit, they don’t appear to need P5 football—seems they have become a self-reliant academic institution that draws top students on academic prestige alone. Sources show that their average incoming freshman SAT score is 1350 or 1390, and ACT is 31.

TCU carries on with play versus their rival Mustangs. Horns Down didn’t continue their play with the Aggies and Piggys—and why is that Longhorn, if you fans value those rivals as you claim?
Because they couldn't ... neither program wanted anything to do with Bevo, as soon as they could get out.

HG73

Doubt UA adds to any TV deal in the B12, it would take away. Utah would be splitting 3.3 mil pop with BYU... not another boost to a TV deal. ASU and Colorado, yes. MSA wise, Stanford/Cal, yes... but unlikely hopefuls waiting on a BIG invite. UO/UW, yes... but more likely BIG invites.

So, does that bring us back to your "adding until the next one doesn't add anything to the TV deal"... mean bringing in UA anyway and then possibly Utah.?.
You know how much UA adds? Utah? It's more about killing the PAC. The new commissioner says "additive not dilutive." I trust he knows whether each team adds or dilutes.

Froginbedford

ut will never play TCU in any sport again if they can help it.
I remember when the SWC broke up and Texas said it would like to continue playing TCU...of course, that was before the arrival of GP and the Frogs had only that bizarre 23-14 win at ACS in 1992....TCU AD Frank Windegger said there would be no games with UT since the Horns were the ones who left....That lasted until 2007 when UT embarrassed the Frogs on TV 34-13 in Austin....Then came the Big 12 membership and the 7-3 record in TCU's favor....Texas may clamor for a game against TCU if the New Big 12 proves to bury the Frogs in another ice age like 1968-1994 and UT needs some wins for bowl eligibility....Object: Never say never.....