• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

Virginia Frog

Fair enough on UCLA vs Purdue. Do you think the general public really gives a crap about TCU vs any one of about 7-8 other teams in the Big 12?
Maybe TCU is NOT in the Top 40/48/etc. If that is the case, I can live with that. But I, like many others, "don't give a crap about" this new horsehockey college football that FOX/ESPN is engineering. Their general assertion will be that the Big 2 conferences (and their teams) are the only worthwhile viewing of the sport. Hey, it's a few (10/12/15) good teams and the rest are fodder. Spare me FOX/ESPN. I know good teams and bad teams when I seem them. And I'm not the only one. I am now tilting at windmills! Sorry readers.

As for the general public and TCU, hey friends I've seen the bottom of the cauldron: I have the distinction of sitting through the Jim Shofner led 0-11 masterpiece of a season in 1976. I should have some sort of merit badge for that!

But this is not 1976 and TCU football the past two decades is a winner and worthwhile in the viewing marketplace.

To be cut-out, with no method to PROVE our worthiness, while these fodder Big 2 teams play for the big money is sickening.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
maybe not, but doesn't mean their numbers are wrong and we all know forbes has something at stake right?
Actually, it means that their numbers aren't, like so many other things ESPN, trustworthy. Grain of salt, all that...

I didn't bother to read the Forbes link. I am aware that the NFL boasted of "great" numbers last season, and that's fine. I don't think they were what they once were (Say, as a share of the total viewership, in the way they were in the 90's or the 00's.), but they were better than the nadir of the previous few years. What could those numbers have been had they not set out to deliberately enrage and alienate much of their core audience?

As to College/Pro Sports, there is a different kind of loyalty one feels towards a College vs a Pro Franchise. At one time, people felt that there was a two-way relationship between their Alma Mater and themselves, a bond of trust and respect. That has been shattered by the relentless pursuit of the dollar to the exclusion of all else, turning these once humble institutions into little Pro Franchises of their own. And they adopted the Pro Franchises attitude towards their fanbases: "Screw you! Give us your money!"

Nick Danger

Looks like the SEC is going to call a halt to expansion and remain at 16 teams, regardless of what Notre Dame does (which is expected to stand pat and remain Independent). The Big 10 is expected to remain at 16 as well. The SEC is also going to resume it's support of the previously announced 12 team College Football Playoff format that will start in 2026 and support the inclusion of all 10 FBS conferences in the future playoff!.

SEC to remain at 16 teams!

dawg

Looks like the SEC is going to call a halt to expansion and remain at 16 teams, regardless of what Notre Dame does

Suspicious Eva Green GIF by James Bond 007

Prime BEEF

Looks like the SEC is going to call a halt to expansion and remain at 16 teams, regardless of what Notre Dame does (which is expected to stand pat and remain Independent). The Big 10 is expected to remain at 16 as well. The SEC is also going to resume it's support of the previously announced 12 team College Football Playoff format that will start in 2026 and support the inclusion of all 10 FBS conferences in the future playoff!.

Doubt this happens

froginaustin

What a nothingburger article.

. . .
“We’re positioned at 16 (teams) for a robust future,” an SEC athletic director told SDS. “The need just isn’t there.”

Potential future moves on the expansion front could change that “need,” two SEC sources say, but conference presidents believe the SEC is positioned well for the future growth of college football. . . ..

Etc., etc.