• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

Virginia Frog

would say that yes they believe that based upon the success of the nfl.

every match up isn't a good one each sunday, heck a number of clunkers and yet the nfl ratings continues to crush other sports

no different than what they have done in european soccer with the champions league
I'm not in love with the NFL product and have watched less and less each season for probably 10 years. Not deliberately, it just doesn't give me the proper stimulation.

When I start watching European Football, I'll know it's time to go the the nursing home.

Eight

I'm not in love with the NFL product and have watched less and less each season for probably 10 years. Not deliberately, it just doesn't give me the proper stimulation.

When I start watching European Football, I'll know it's time to go the the nursing home.

great you don't watch the nfl, i don't either a great deal, but the point was that when you look at the ratings they are THE cash cow and it isn't even close to any other pro sport in the us

don't expect you to watch european football, but guess what. leagues with decades and decades of fan loyalty that stretch across multiple family generations come in second behind the champions league matches

if you are espn and fox why pay for product that doesn't generate the same amount of revenue

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
would say that yes they believe that based upon the success of the nfl.

every match up isn't a good on each sunday, heck a number of clunkers and yet the nfl ratings continues to crush other sports
There's just one problem: College Football isn't the NFL. They're trying to turn it into a mini-NFL, but there already is an NFL.

Many hardcore football fans have quit the NFL, mainly because they've strayed from simply being a sports league, some because they have debased the game by making it illegal to play defense, but those who left aren't coming back. Turning College Football into the same thing will simply kill it off, too.

Dman890

people that didn’t go to college will watch the big brands play at a higher rate than a bunch of college football fans care to admit

This is all going down to the capitalist logical conclusion versus seeing value in things beyond profit max

Eight

There's just one problem: College Football isn't the NFL. They're trying to turn it into a mini-NFL, but there already is an NFL.

Many hardcore football fans have quit the NFL, mainly because they've strayed from simply being a sports league, some because they have debased the game by making it illegal to play defense, but those who left aren't coming back. Turning College Football into the same thing will simply kill it off, too.

others would disagree such as this sports rag, fortune magazine

https://fortune.com/2022/01/24/amer...ing-better-as-the-sports-scandals-get-bigger/

then there is this from the mouse network

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...eason-ratings-increase-10-percent-last-season

understand you and others have stopped watching, great, the reality though is that america hasn't and while college football isn't the nfl it is the substitute on saturdays and the ratings numbers are there to show certain conferences draw eyeballs and others don't

we are in a world where the idea of a loss leader isn't practical and the conferences don't want to pay for content that doesn't bring in revenue

Virginia Frog

They aren't trying to get the best teams, they are trying to get the teams that will result in the highest number of whatever to sell to TV networks and advertisers. That's about all there is to it.
It is obvious to us all that they (TV people and the Big 2 conferences) aren't trying to promote and show to America the best teams/matchups, unfortunately.

If it was an election, I'd vote against them. It's not so I (like thousands of others of a like mind) will just have to do the best with what's left of college football. It's entertainment at the basic level and if's a bad movie one doesn't buy a ticket. I'm not wasting my time on Purdue vs UCLA - as bad as they've been in the recent past.

(The Big 2 conference teams/tv talking heads will be sickening. If the teams you root for (who are not in their fraternity), they will be called second-rate, and "not good enough" etc. Hey, remember when TCU regularly beat BCS teams - we were lowly MWC or C-USA. If given the opportunity I bet we would do so in the future.)

Wexahu

If you want higher number make more teams eligible for post season play offs. This what their beloved NFL did.
The NFL has rules that ensure parity. Playoff game point spreads are generally just a few points, maybe a TD for the more lopsided games. They have a hard enough time coming up with a competitive 4-team playoff in college.

And if you say making a playoff will catapult a team into the upper upper echelon, I give you Washington and Michigan State.

Wexahu

It is obvious to us all that they (TV people and the Big 2 conferences) aren't trying to promote and show to America the best teams/matchups, unfortunately.

If it was an election, I'd vote against them. It's not so I (like thousands of others of a like mind) will just have to do the best with what's left of college football. It's entertainment at the basic level and if's a bad movie one doesn't buy a ticket. I'm not wasting my time on Purdue vs UCLA - as bad as they've been in the recent past.

(The Big 2 conference teams/tv talking heads will be sickening. If the teams you root for (who are not in their fraternity), they will be called second-rate, and "not good enough" etc. Hey, remember when TCU regularly beat BCS teams - we were lowly MWC or C-USA. If given the opportunity I bet we would do so in the future.)
Fair enough on UCLA vs Purdue. Do you think the general public really gives a crap about TCU vs any one of about 7-8 other teams in the Big 12?

Virginia Frog

great you don't watch the nfl, i don't either a great deal, but the point was that when you look at the ratings they are THE cash cow and it isn't even close to any other pro sport in the us

don't expect you to watch european football, but guess what. leagues with decades and decades of fan loyalty that stretch across multiple family generations come in second behind the champions league matches

if you are espn and fox why pay for product that doesn't generate the same amount of revenue
All that is true.

It's doesn't satisfy me as a watcher of college football. It will likely lessen my engagement if this comes to pass. I imagine many others out there in TV land would agree.

But, yep it's all about the money. This won't be the end. They'll figure a way to cut-out the Vandys, NWs, Rutgers and other underachieving brands that they are paying the big money. Give them 15-20-25 years. I hope I'll be around to see it!

Wexahu

All that is true.

It's doesn't satisfy me as a watcher of college football. It will likely lessen my engagement if this comes to pass. I imagine many others out there in TV land would agree.

But, yep it's all about the money. This won't be the end. They'll figure a way to cut-out the Vandys, NWs, Rutgers and other underachieving brands that they are paying the big money. Give them 15-20-25 years. I hope I'll be around to see it!
It’ll be interesting what the product will be like. May be wrong, but I think NIL + free transfers + no regulations sets the table for a damn near awful product. Wouldn’t surprise me if the second half of the season is a comedy of players holding out, faking injuries, etc.

Huge marketing efforts and media hype can work wonders though.

Eight

It’ll be interesting what the product will be like. May be wrong, but I think NIL + free transfers + no regulations sets the table for a damn near awful product. Wouldn’t surprise me if the second half of the season is a comedy of players holding out, faking injuries, etc.

Huge marketing efforts and media hype can work wonders though.

sounds like a normal nba season

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
others would disagree such as this sports rag, fortune magazine

https://fortune.com/2022/01/24/amer...ing-better-as-the-sports-scandals-get-bigger/

then there is this from the mouse network

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...eason-ratings-increase-10-percent-last-season

understand you and others have stopped watching, great, the reality though is that america hasn't and while college football isn't the nfl it is the substitute on saturdays and the ratings numbers are there to show certain conferences draw eyeballs and others don't

we are in a world where the idea of a loss leader isn't practical and the conferences don't want to pay for content that doesn't bring in revenue
ESPN is hardly a disinterested source...

Chongo94

people that didn’t go to college will watch the big brands play at a higher rate than a bunch of college football fans care to admit

This is all going down to the capitalist logical conclusion versus seeing value in things beyond profit max
Truly. Every time I go to a cowboys game, which isn’t often unless someone else drags me, I’m reminded of this. Talk about the unwashed masses…

LVH

Truly. Every time I go to a cowboys game, which isn’t often unless someone else drags me, I’m reminded of this. Talk about the unwashed masses…
If you blindfolded me and dropped me smack dab into the middle of Cowboys fans at AT&T Stadium during a Cowboys game I'd think I was in Mexico