• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion

East Coast

Tier 1
wife's family has said the same and i can tell you there are people in washington state who are perfectly happy with athletics taking a step backward
There is no chance the Big 10 takes either Oregon State or Washington State. It's remotely possible the Big 12 would if they could get Oregon and Washington, but I don't see it.

asleep003

There is no chance the Big 10 takes either Oregon State or Washington State. It's remotely possible the Big 12 would if they could get Oregon and Washington, but I don't see it.
Oregon /Washington... yes; but doubt they're available. Can not visualize WSU/OSU, as there are so many other vibrant metro/media markets to fill up a 20 team league.

Nick Danger

Are we really sure this "Meeting" is actually being held tomorrow? There's only been this one report from some recruiting website, :rolleyes: that has generated other "reports" using this same, single original report. There hasn't been any corroborative follow-up reports from any sources representing any of the other participants, or any confirm or denial statement from the Big-12!? Did no real news organizations ask these supposed participants for a comment on this report? Just sayin . . . :confused:

Last edited:

ticketfrog123

Are we really sure this "Meeting" is actually being held tomorrow? There's only been this one report from some recruiting website, :rolleyes:that has generated other "reports" using this same, single original report. There hasn't been any corroborative follow-up reports from any sources representing any of the other participants, or any confirm or denial statement from the Big-12!? Did no real news organizations ask these supposed participants for a comment on this report? Just sayin . . . :confused:
Meeting was for the big 12 to slap the P12 leftovers and see how desperate they are.

They’d take a 50% distribution of a full member at this point

CountryFrog

Are we really sure this "Meeting" is actually being held tomorrow? There's only been this one report from some recruiting website, :rolleyes:that has generated other "reports" using this same, single original report. There hasn't been any corroborative follow-up reports from any sources representing any of the other participants, or any confirm or denial statement from the Big-12!? Did no real news organizations ask these supposed participants for a comment on this report? Just sayin . . . :confused:
Are you doubting the internet? How dare you.

Virginia Frog

I hope that if it's true that the 4 Pac Mountain Time Zone schools /Colo, Utah, Az1 and AZ2 want in to the Twelve, the Big 12 powers take their time in saying yes.

It appears that these schools have no where to go (at best little prospect to join USC/UCLA)...so what's the rush.

I'm assuming that the Golden Domers will hold to their Indy football policy. Then the next shoe to drop concerns the B1G's decision to add 2-4 more West Coast Properties to 4 or 6 in order to minimize the USC/UCLA travel burden, enlarge markets and to lessen the gerrymandered-likeness of their new footprint with this configuration.

The candidates for this B1G promotion are likely to be Stanford/Cal or Oregon/Washington. Market arguments also exist for the inclusion of Colorado and one of the two Arizonas due to Denver and Phoenix eyeballs. As long as any of those six believe they have a shot of making the B1G money, they're not going to push the panic button and join the B12, IMO.

I don't see the B1G blowing up to 20 or 22 teams (18 at most in this iteration), at least in this decade, so it's very possible that in the next year we can take our choice of the "leftovers." We can THEN choose based upon the merits of the schools/their brands/football-basketball prowess/logical geography.

Last edited:

asleep003

Are we really sure this "Meeting" is actually being held tomorrow? There's only been this one report from some recruiting website, :rolleyes: that has generated other "reports" using this same, single original report. There hasn't been any corroborative follow-up reports from any sources representing any of the other participants, or any confirm or denial statement from the Big-12!? Did no real news organizations ask these supposed participants for a comment on this report? Just sayin . . . :confused:
Unable to locate anything besides a Wildcat report ... how understandable politely not bellowing out the meeting. Looks like B12 preference is the MST schools only for now ... if that's all the PAC for BIG, then the NW duo strengthens the B12 and can settle for just 2 ACC instead of 4.

Endless Purple

I hope that if it's true that the 4 Pac Mountain Time Zone schools /Colo, Utah, Az1 and AZ2 want in to the Twelve, the Big 12 powers take their time in saying yes.

It appears that these schools have no where to go (at best little prospect to join USC/UCLA)...so what's the rush.
Disagree. Take the teams and set the Big 12 as the only #3 conference. Otherwise, we risk the PAC settling in and going through this exercise again every couple years. Next time the PAC is told to expand into the CST, they may grab some Big 12 teams leaving us in a potentially bad spot if not one of those teams. End it now.

YA

Disagree. Take the teams and set the Big 12 as the only #3 conference. Otherwise, we risk the PAC settling in and going through this exercise again every couple years. Next time the PAC is told to expand into the CST, they may grab some Big 12 teams leaving us in a potentially bad spot if not one of those teams. End it now.
What would be the urgency for the 4 pac schools to come to the big 12 without Oregon & Washington leaving? I bet they wait to hear from their tv partners first before agreeing to move. Meeting with the Big 12 now is just a meet and greet in case it goes further south with more schools leaving.

Virginia Frog

I'll go along.

I believe it is more likely this is academic since the PAC10 will go forward with the remaining 10 for 2024-25 so the B12 won't have the option to get 2-4 PAC teams at this point.

If I'm wrong and the PAC10 doesn't hang together in the short term, it will be because the insiders know that there's another shoe dropping before 6/30/23 and 2-4 additional schools will be "in the B1G money." In this scenario, the leftover pool of B12 candidates will be everyone but OreSt and WashSt.

Maybe the B12's goal should be to bring in two of the MountainTZ four. I say: Colorado & Arizona.
Why bring in more mouths to feed by taking all four? (AzSt and Utah - we'd have those that states covered with AzU and BYU.)

1) it lessens the PAC 10 down to 8 and further weakens them so the newPAC is marginally viable.
2) a side benefit would be so they later won't have the strength to "take" any B12 teams.
3) this economy of choices maximizes the B12 future options in other areas of the country down the line (with the goal of being Conference #3 after the SEC/B1G.)

HG73

I'm assuming that the Golden Domers will hold to their Indy football policy. Then the next shoe to drop concerns the B1G's decision to add 2-4 more West Coast Properties to 4 or 6 in order to minimize the USC/UCLA travel burden, enlarge markets and to lessen the gerrymandered-likeness of their new footprint with this configuration.

The candidates for this B1G promotion are likely to be Stanford/Cal or Oregon/Washington. Market arguments also exist for the inclusion of Colorado and one of the two Arizonas due to Denver and Phoenix eyeballs. As long as any of those six believe they have a shot of making the B1G money, they're not going to push the panic button and join the B12, IMO.

I don't see the B1G blowing up to 20 or 22 teams (18 at most in this iteration), at least in this decade, so it's very possible that in the next year we can take our choice of the "leftovers." We can THEN choose based upon the merits of the schools/their brands/football-basketball prowess/logical geography.
The PAC leftovers know that without USC & UCLA their upcoming TV deal will blow. They need a new home. The B1G may take a couple more teams, maybe not. So for everyone not named UO or UW there's some urgency. Take the bird in the hand, add the mountain teams and kill the PAC. UO and UW may be available later.

McFroggin

I heard a report that the legislatures in Washington and Oregon said U can’t go without state.

That’s what was said in Texas about A&M bolting to the SEC. Money talks. Of course they want both teams in, but when it comes down to it, beggars can’t be choosers.

Endless Purple

What would be the urgency for the 4 pac schools to come to the big 12 without Oregon & Washington leaving? I bet they wait to hear from their tv partners first before agreeing to move. Meeting with the Big 12 now is just a meet and greet in case it goes further south with more schools leaving.
If Oregon and Washington don't leave right away, the PAC may stabilize by adding 2 schools. Now let's say a year passes and next summer the PAC finally gets their new deal nearly finalized but a new player, lets say CBS, says we want to compete with FOX and ESPN so we will pay a large amount if you get in the Central Time Zone. Boom, now the PAC has leverage over the Big 12 members and grabs Tech, UH, Ok St and Kansas.

The point being power can shift back to the PAC like it was last summer. We do not know what will happen in the next 12 months.

If the Big 12 can get the 4 corners schools to commit now while there is massive uncertainty (lawyers may find a way to break the ACC GoR giving the Big 12 eastern options, or a media partner may say that those 4 will not add enough value anymore with the B1Gs western presence, or some other unknown) and by getting them to commit now, we remove the possibility of the power shifting back to the west and build what can be a solid #3 conference. Sell them on the urgency of the unknown future.

Limey Frog

Yes, you have to establish the reality that if a school has good programs and decent market draw but not the mega millions in TV appeal that get the SEC and Big Ten to destroy worlds for you then you call the Big 12 (new name TBD).

I've got the same doubts about these "reports" though. 'Zona 247 website isn't exactly the place I'd expect this to break.