• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion Thread

Dogfrog

RollToad said:
But if they automatically include the P5 champs, OOC games become meaningless. I'd like to play Arky and Ohio State with something at stake rather than a pointless exhibition.
If it increases our chances for the playoff I'll take the pointless exhibition.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
gohornedfrogs said:
SiriusXM college is reporting that Boise and BYU were among those eliminated from consideration. I think they got some bad info.
They also said we should go to the Big 10 and negotiate a north south mega conference. Another "expert" suggested going to the networks and negotiate a deal (since he believes it's all bout dinero) and tell them we won't expand if you give us 60 or 70 percent of what you'd pay for 4 teams. One guy that does Rutgers games had the cajoles to say "what do Cincy or BYU or Houston do for the B12? Really? Tell us what Rutgers brought to the B10? This was right after saying TV markets any team brings is over blown. He said there is no reason for expansion except money. Again, really, after the committee all but said if you don't have a playoff you don't get in?

The more I listen to these guys, the less I think they pay attention. Rick Neuheisel is the only one on there I respect.

BoydAveFrogFan

Despite the odds Frog said:
Don't shoot the messenger.
They have plans and funding for a $90 to $150 million football IPF. They have plans to expand Ford stadium. Closing the "horseshoe", etc. Again plans...Big 12 helping them. It's more about the money and UT/OU for the short term getting more of it before they bolt after contract ends.

Adding SMU is a play to get the most money before GoR ends. SMU taking no revenue and giving Big 12 money and sponsorships is just that. Conference end. But helps SMU. Helps UT/OU and boosters. Hurts the fans who like Big 12. But this is not about fans and Big 12. Its about the rich getting richer.
I've got plans to build a 10,000 sq foot house that will cost about $5,000,000. however it's on a bar napkin in my used wad drawer

stbrab

Frog-in-law1995 said:
Had a very real dream last night that Texas and TCU ended up in the Pac, OU and Ok-State in the SEC, WV and Iowa State in the ACC and Kansas and Notre Dame in the Big.

Of course, this dream also involved Katy Perry, a hot tub, and some flexibility that I haven't possessed in 20 years, so take it FWIW.
Ha! I bet you didn't tell Mrs. FIL about that dream, did you?

orrwasright

Rifram09 said:
Orr--I'm not sure I totally agree.  Sure, those teams can bounce back from that one loss if it was all they suffered.  However, if OU loses to Ohio State and then loses to TCU, the they're in real trouble.  Same for Ohio State.  If they lose to OU and then lose to Michigan State again, they are probably out.  If instead of playing each other, those blue-bloods played Tulsa and App State, they could probably lose a conference game and still make the playoff. 

I am not sure I understand your point. Under the current system there is absolutely no reason for teams to play anyone worth a crap in pre-season.  Name one team that has gotten excluded solely on the basis of their non-conference schedule.

What we have seen teams not get punished for losses even bad losses if they won their conference. 

As I said, P-5 champions are automatically in, I don't mind a BCS style computer formula because I trust that far more than this [ deposit from a bull that looks like Art Briles ] committee. Factor in a formula that rewards teams for playing quality non-conference opponents and punishes schools for playing FCS teams.  Top four ranked conference champs host.

asleep003

No reason to have a CCG at 10 teams! In a round robin, the championship game has already been played. Why would anyone want to give the team that lost the 1st head to head(or 2nd best league record) a second chance on the best team in the league... as that would be the scenario 80-90% of the time. It's craziness.

Still prefer the 11+1 formula for the Big12. We can have more league games(10 ea.) than any other league and not get punished by getting our highest ranked team possibly knocked out of the CFP or the 2nd best team even possibly eliminated from a NY6 invite. 

Cheers !

rifram09

orrwasright said:

I am not sure I understand your point. Under the current system there is absolutely no reason for teams to play anyone worth a crap in pre-season.  Name one team that has gotten excluded solely on the basis of their non-conference schedule.

What we have seen teams not get punished for losses even bad losses if they won their conference. 

As I said, P-5 champions are automatically in, I don't mind a BCS style computer formula because I trust that far more than this (El Toro Waste) committee. Factor in a formula that rewards teams for playing quality non-conference opponents and punishes schools for playing FCS teams.  Top four ranked conference champs host.
Well, I'm not sure there is a "sole" reason for anything the committee does. It's all a factors analysis. However, in 2014 I think OOC scheduling was the major factor holding Baylor back. If they had just played one decent P5 team OOC, they may have held off Ohio State.

But that wasn't really my point. My point is better illustrated by Stanford last year. But for their loss to Northwestern in week one, they may have gotten in the playoffs instead of OU. Northwestern is no Alabama, but they were a decent enough team to beat you if you have an off night. If Stanford scheduled line Baylor, their record would have had them in the thick of the conversation.