• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion Thread

orrwasright

If Fox were truly driving the boat on this thing it would be a reality show for the Fall. 

12 AD's are put in the middle of nowhere like Naked and Afraid and the two that survive might earn entry for their school's into the Big 12.

I say might because if ratings are high enough Fox might bring it back for year 2 just to beat the damn thing to death.

frognutz

orrwasright said:
If Fox were truly driving the boat on this thing it would be a reality show for the Fall. 

12 AD's are put in the middle of nowhere like Naked and Afraid and the two that survive might earn entry for their school's into the Big 12.

I say might because if ratings are high enough Fox might bring it back for year 2 just to beat the damn thing to death.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQ44aQWnH4I

LeagueCityFrog

For academic profile and fan travel, I still like Tulane. Texas and OU could play their games against them at the Superdome. TCU and their fans could enjoy their new on campus stadium and enjoy a fun weekend every other year in New Orleans. Recruiting market is red hot and its an easy to travel to from DFW or Houston by being an adjoining state. Before they had financial issues in the early 1900s, Tulane was named The University of Louisiana. Mr. Tulane and Friends bailed them out. Also Tulane adds another Medical and Law school into the Big XII fold. That's never a bad thing. Cincy seems like a no brainer. Another Law and Medical School, near WVU, good sports, good town, Texas minded politically. See Cleveland for the alternate political mentality. Another for me, again for easy travel, in a historic Big XII footprint is Colorado State. New Stadium. They could easily develop of rivalry with OSU, KSU, and Tech. They also currently seem more committed to making athletics happen than CU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yulman_Stadium 

https://stadium.colostate.edu/ 

Big Frog II

LeagueCityFrog said:

For academic profile and fan travel, I still like Tulane. Texas and OU could play their games against them at the Superdome. TCU and their fans could enjoy their new on campus stadium and enjoy a fun weekend every other year in New Orleans. Recruiting market is red hot and its an easy to travel to from DFW or Houston by being an adjoining state. Before they had financial issues in the early 1900s, Tulane was named The University of Louisiana. Mr. Tulane and Friends bailed them out. Also Tulane adds another Medical and Law school into the Big XII fold. That's never a bad thing. Cincy seems like a no brainer. Another Law and Medical School, near WVU, good sports, good town, Texas minded politically. See Cleveland for the alternate political mentality. Another for me, again for easy travel, in a historic Big XII footprint is Colorado State. New Stadium. They could easily develop of rivalry with OSU, KSU, and Tech. They also currently seem more committed to making athletics happen than CU.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yulman_Stadium 

https://stadium.colostate.edu/ 

Yulman Stadium may have a capacity of 30,000, but only 24,000 are actual seats.  Have you seen their basketball gym.  Wilkensen-Greines holds twice as many.  NOLA would be fun, but I would put them way down on the list.  I just wonder why the Big 12 is wasting their time on some of these schools?  Many of them have a snowballs chance.  

ms19

Slow playing it while they negotiate more money for the existing 10. 

I hope IF we expand it is BYU and CSU

West: Texas TCU Tech Baylor BYU CSU
East: OU OSU WVU KSU KU ISU

or....

CSU and Cincinnati

South: Texas OU OSU TCU Baylor Tech
North: WVU Cincinnati CSU KSU KU ISU  

TCUdirtbag

It's going to be 2 of BYU, Cinci and UH. The rest is a side show to get the last couple ADs and Presidents on board. GOR will be extended 5+ years and we'll get more money from FOX/ESPN to stop at 12.

cdsfrog

TCUdirtbag said:
It's going to be 2 of BYU, Cinci and UH. The rest is a side show to get the last couple ADs and Presidents on board. GOR will be extended 5+ years and we'll get more money from FOX/ESPN to stop at 12.
Hope this happens, otherwise feels like a cash grab before the conference dies

Hell if UH means UT agrees to a GOR extension then I'm rooting for UH to join.

Bizarro Frog

A have a hunch they are not going to expand and might get more money in the process.  The conference then can sit back and wait for the playoff to expand to 6 or 8 and include all Power 5 champs.  If that happens TX and OU would be in a good position in the Big 12 should want to stay.  The conference could drop the crazy title game and crown a champ how they see fit.

If the above happens I think the Frogs will continue to be a rising power that is going to contend to win the Big 12 every year.

Frogs
Best coaches in Big 12 = yes
Direct access to Playoffs = yes
Located in an incredibly fertile recruiting ground = yes
Fantastic facilities = yes
Good in the other main sports (basketball, baseball) = yes (assuming Coach Dixon turns the program around) 
Alumni base with wealth and willing to help out = yes
Easy access for travelling fans and college gameday shows = yes
One of the greatest and most original mascots on the planet = yes
One of only a few teams with the greatest sports color imaginable. PURPLE = yes
Good relationship with industry giant NIKE = yes
Campus and stadiums only a couple of miles from my house = yes

Go Frogs!!!

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
But if they automatically include the P5 champs, OOC games become meaningless. I'd like to play Arky and Ohio State with something at stake rather than a pointless exhibition.

rifram09

RollToad--5 P5 auto bids in an 8 team playoff allows three at large bids.  Why wouldn't the at large bids render the OOC/SOS equally as important as the current 4 at large bids do?

orrwasright

RollToad said:
But if they automatically include the P5 champs, OOC games become meaningless. I'd like to play Arky and Ohio State with something at stake rather than a pointless exhibition.
First get rid of the bowl tie-in. Quite simply the bowls are parasites to the current college play-off system.

First two rounds are played at the home stadium of your top seeds with consideration given to OOC strength of schedule. Punish teams for crap and reward teans for playing quality teams. Championship is at a neutral site.

orrwasright

Just curious but does anyone truly believe if OU, Bama, FSU, or Clemson lose this weekend they are out from the Championship?

If Ohio State gets beat at OU do you believe they are out?

No, if they win their conference it won't matter which in effect makes these ganes exhibitions.

rifram09

Orr--I'm not sure I totally agree.  Sure, those teams can bounce back from that one loss if it was all they suffered.  However, if OU loses to Ohio State and then loses to TCU, the they're in real trouble.  Same for Ohio State.  If they lose to OU and then lose to Michigan State again, they are probably out.  If instead of playing each other, those blue-bloods played Tulsa and App State, they could probably lose a conference game and still make the playoff. 

Frog-in-law1995

Had a very real dream last night that Texas and TCU ended up in the Pac, OU and Ok-State in the SEC, WV and Iowa State in the ACC and Kansas and Notre Dame in the Big.

Of course, this dream also involved Katy Perry, a hot tub, and some flexibility that I haven't possessed in 20 years, so take it FWIW.

Bizarro Frog

RollToad said:
I get your point but the 3 At Large bids should cover that.  It would also mean your season is not ruined by losing 1 non conference and 1 conference game.  You can still bounce back and get in by winning the conference which makes every conference game huge including the ones not involving us.

If the SEC or BIG TEN get left out this will happen sooner than later.