• The KillerFrogs

Big 12 Expansion Now

Eight

i like the idea of the two arizonia schools. growing area and close enough to so cal to expand the conference base for recruiting

. big key is getting texas to buy into the new conference and the big 12 is the one conference texas can be assured they are THE big fish in the pond.

big question is do their egos accept being in the big 12 where they can be that big fish or do they looking for what they most likely can't find anywhere else.

LeagueCityFrog

i like the idea of the two arizonia schools. growing area and close enough to so cal to expand the conference base for recruiting

. big key is getting texas to buy into the new conference and the big 12 is the one conference texas can be assured they are THE big fish in the pond.

big question is do their egos accept being in the big 12 where they can be that big fish or do they looking for what they most likely can't find anywhere else.

Key piece of course is Chris Del Conte at Texas. He came from the University of Arizona before he moved to the Lone Star State.....Just sayin'.... I would not be shocked if those schools came our way and we, TCU, with our 3 big sports humming along and our expanded east side football stadium, and shiny new Medical School are good to go for the foreseeable decades to come at the way money is pouring into the school.

H0RNEDFR0G

first, mormonism meets the definition of a cult so scheiss no. notre dame is headed to the acc. northwestern? syracuse? so private schools in the northeast and midwest?

tulsa? seriously, why don't you add rice so you can have 3 of the smallest almuni footprints in the county.

I hope you know I was kidding, it would be the worst conference realignment suggestion in the thread...and that's saying something.

Froginbedford

That, or form the all new Lord's Service Conference: TCU, SMU, BYU, Notre Dame, Duke, Boston College, Northwestern, Syracuse, Tulsa, Wake, Army, Navy, & Air Force.

Baylor is disqualified for obvious reasons.

Northwestern and Syracuse are not divinely affiliated, I don't believe...and technically nor are Air Force, Army, or Navy...although Lyle Lovett sang "Soldier in the army of the Lord" on the soundtrack for "The Apostle" with Robert Duvall....

Mean Purple

Pass and hard pass.
Think it would need to be schools with a little more regional connection. Give WVU, I'd say add Cincy and, ugh, Memphis if they can turn it up. Both have shown they can get it going and get crowds. And they build the conference out towards WVU.

It other schools with that approach.

working backwards. you don't add teams to your conference to reduce your payouts and help them grow bigger.

you don't add teams to your conference because they are nice places to visit. this isn't a bowl game and you aren't talking about vacation destinations.

you add teams that would expand your broadcast markets, hopefully make geographic sense, and have some regional interests.

the big 10 is made up of a bunch of schools in large part in locations no one is circling as must visit places especially from october. large fan bases and a big enough regional connection to generate interest.

same with the sec though reverse the best time to visit and once again you have large fans bases with a regional connection.

Agree completely. If gou can't grab the ASU/AU from Pac 12. Or any other from a conference then you have to look at potential and viewership.

That is why BYU is very attractive. They bring in big TV, they travel very well, they have 65k at games, they are a national known name. 30k undergrads and huge following. They bring in a new state and area. They travel well because of the mass Mormon support. But people have a hissy fit with them joining.

UCF is prime too .Huge potential. Sold out crowds. Bigger crowds at home games than TCU. Big TV market, new area. Florida recruiting. Take a piece of the SEC like SEC did with Texas taking A&M. Could easily become the next Florida State. 2nd largest school in the nation. Has two NY6 bowl wins and a fake national championship in 2017/18.

For San Diego State it is the 28th largest media market and the only top 30 market not currently controlled by a P5 conference. So it is a new big-time viewership area that the Big 12 can control.
San Diego is the 8th largest city in America. Gives Big 12 California access and gives Big 12 the Pacific time zone. Big university that gets 85k applications a year with west side it will become one of the largest universities in the country. San Diego State football has 7 to 8 straight bowl appearances. Heck of a team. And yes , it is a fantastic vacation destination that all of the Big 12 would enjoy visiting.

westoverhillbilly

I think B12 officials could consider temporary membership where two G5 schools (or BYU) could take spots and if they impress, then they may be voted inclusion in 8-10 years.. TCU funded its football program like a major and we would expect the temporary members to do the same- perhaps they get 1.5 times the tv money they were getting in their old conference while we existing members get full shares.. If any P5 school wanted to bolt for the B12, then the temporary schools would agree to step aside with a 1 year tv revenue payout unless they are voted not to be set aside..

Moose Stuff

No clue if there is a greater than zero percent chance this is even possible but UA and ASU strike me as the least ridiculous options that are currently in a P5 conference.

LeagueCityFrog

I think B12 officials could consider temporary membership where two G5 schools (or BYU) could take spots and if they impress, then they may be voted inclusion in 8-10 years.. TCU funded its football program like a major and we would expect the temporary members to do the same- perhaps they get 1.5 times the tv money they were getting in their old conference while we existing members get full shares.. If any P5 school wanted to bolt for the B12, then the temporary schools would agree to step aside with a 1 year tv revenue payout unless they are voted not to be set aside..

Under this model, I like BYU and Boise State, football only, for a 5 year provisional membership.

Eight

Under this model, I like BYU and Boise State, football only, for a 5 year provisional membership.

sounds as if you want to go back to the mwc.

you bring to the big 12 table you want to add byu and boise you better bring along some boxes to help texas and out get ready to pack on their way out of the big 12.