• The KillerFrogs

Big 10 offenses vs. the 3-3-5

JogginFrog

Conventional wisdom among those who follow Big 10 football has been that the 3-3-5 defense is poorly equipped to handle power rushing attacks with leading fullbacks. There's an analysis from back in 2010 studying West Virginia's 3-3-5 performance against power rushing teams looking to see how it could do vs. the Big 10. It concluded that the 3-3-5 could be effective, but I haven't found evidence of any Big 10 team running it.

Last year, Gillespie's Tulsa team played at Ohio State, and OSU site Eleven Warriors did a nice analysis of the defense, which still appeared as a "unique challenge" for a Big 10 team.

How did it do in that instance? OSU's RB TreyVeyon Henderson broke a 49-year freshman rushing record with 277 yards on 24 carries, including second-half runs of 52, 48 & 31. But Tulsa, 25.5-point underdogs, were within a TD with 12 minutes left (27-20) and the ESPN game story expressed predictable surprise at how Ohio State struggled.

I suspect Gillespie learned a thing or two from that game that he can apply later this month.

Palliative Care

If we had to play them in the next two weeks it would be tough. The key to stopping the run is coordination of lineman and backers. You stop power runs by hitting the gaps and tackling behind the big offensive line. I am sure that Michigan will not be reinventing itself in this game. They will go with their strength and try and knock us off the ball. We need to get to the back before he hits the gaps. In the open field they can run us over. It will have to be team tackling, the use of many defensive linemen and our quick linebackers finding the ball in order to stop them.

Frogfam4

I think that this game will be very similar to the Texas game. Stop the run and trust the back end to control the passing game.

froginmn

Conventional wisdom among those who follow Big 10 football has been that the 3-3-5 defense is poorly equipped to handle power rushing attacks with leading fullbacks. There's an analysis from back in 2010 studying West Virginia's 3-3-5 performance against power rushing teams looking to see how it could do vs. the Big 10. It concluded that the 3-3-5 could be effective, but I haven't found evidence of any Big 10 team running it.
They were a little too early to see us against Wisconsin, trying to hold off the rushing attack and that massive OL.

Planks

It will be interesting to see how this staff is able to take advantage of the time off before the bowl game. I’m not sure what to expect.

Say what you will about Patterson at the end, but his defenses were pretty much always great in bowl games.

hfhmilkman

Rich Rodriguez attempted a 3-3-5 at Michigan. It never had a chance because R^2 never got a Dcoordinator who understood it. My opinion is that a 3-3-5 will have to address the same obstacle that Jim Knowles had to address when he imported his 4-2-5 to OSU. These smaller lighter defenses are great verses spread, air-raid, and even zone runs. They have issues verses gap or power. A great case study is the OSU<>UM 2022 game. Even with the number one power back out, OSU did not have enough beef to stand up to the UM interior blockers. It is harder to deceive in a phone booth. One to two extra hats had to be flung at the line of scrimmage to stop the run. The side affect is if the play was not stopped, it was a house call.

My personal opinion is that all defenses are created equal. You just have to build a defense that address's your biggest threat. There is always going to be RPS. If one defense was clearly superior, everyone would run it. The return of power to both college football and the NFL is a reaction to defenses getting smaller and faster to combat modern passing. This is just a natural cycle. The bottom line is a conventional 4-3 is more ideal for matching power, and a 3-3-5 is better verses spread with an infinite variation in between. The PRO's with their extra practice time attempt to address by being multiple. Harder in college with the restrictions on practice.

y2kFrog

Then the secondary better play a lot better than they did Saturday. I thought our safeties in particular had a really poor game in coverage.

Will Howard has his worst game of the year rating wise on Saturday. Our biggest problem was continuously playing light boxes and over playing coverages. By the second quarter I could tell from the upper deck what Kansas St. was going to run. They were running to weak side every time they had us outnumbered. They threw in jet motion for the finishing touch on the Vaughn TD run. Michigan was running the same stuff on Purdue. The good news is playing Kansas State twice has given a lot of reps against a team similar to Michigan.

Outback Frog

My take. Not having Johnny Hodges for the Big XII Championship game was huge. Can't help but think he would have limited a number of those KSU runs for 4 to 6 yards a carry throughout the game. He leads the team in tackles and was one of the main reasons the TCU defense stuffed Bijan Robinson during the Texas game. After all, he won Big XII defensive honors that week for his performance against the Horns. Having him back against the Michigan running attack will help tremendously.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
My take. Not having Johnny Hodges for the Big XII Championship game was huge. Can't help but think he would have limited a number of those KSU runs for 4 to 6 yards a carry throughout the game. He leads the team in tackles and was one of the main reasons the TCU defense stuffed Bijan Robinson during the Texas game. After all, he won Big XII defensive honors that week for his performance against the Horns. Having him back against the Michigan running attack will help tremendously.
How long does a hamstring injury take to heal? I assume a pulled hamstring is his diagnosis, can we assume he will be 100 percent?