• The KillerFrogs

Best Thermal Underwear for sitting in a cold stadium?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
The West Side was fortunate during the Iowa State game, as the wind was essentially blocked by the deck of the Stadium. But, try walking into one of the portals to get a beer? Wind tunnel!

SwissArmyFrog

Come live here in Pittsburgh for 30 years and you'll feel like it's hot outside when it's 35 degrees in December.

Seriously, though...these new fleece-lined microfiber pants (or fleece-lined denim) that are available everywhere are what I wear, with my Gore-Tex golf rain pants on top of them. Then several layers for the top, with the Gore-Tex rain jacket. I've been fine down to 10-12 degrees with that combination. It's the feet and fingers you have to worry about when it gets that cold.

Looking at wool socks, too. I bought some gloves awhile back that were designed to allow you to keep the glove on while tapping/typing on your phone. Worthless as far as keeping my hands warm.

HornyWartyToad

Looking at wool socks, too. I bought some gloves awhile back that were designed to allow you to keep the glove on while tapping/typing on your phone. Worthless as far as keeping my hands warm.
Gloves bad. Mittens good. Mittens allow the blood in the fingers to keep each other warm. There are some lightweight wool hunting mittens you can get (probably at Academy) that have a velcro opening in the palm, so you can free your hands(or a single finger) as needed without taking the mitten off your hand. Highly recommend.

finafrog

HornyWartyToad

Thanks for mentioning. I read that a couple of hours ago as I was searching for info, nice to have confirmation.
just remember, same principle as all the other stuff- try them on and don't get the big puffy ones that make you feel like your hands are between John Candy's thighs. Your hands will sweat and then get cold. Get some that are thin and have plenty of room inside.

nwlafrog

Hunting base layers under your clothes. I personally wear Plythal hunting gear. Their base layers will burn you out of them.

I have the blackout 2.0 base later that I pair with the full rut system during hunting season.

finafrog

There is a guy selling socks from goat wool at the Stockshow. Love those too.

SwissArmyFrog

Here is how George Mallory layered on his three attempts on Everest in the 1920s: Silk, cotton, and wool.

Or watch The Wildest Dream.

Really enjoyed that article, thanks for posting it up!

Saw the pics on the website re: The Wildest Dream and will try and look that up.

Toad Jones

Come live here in Pittsburgh for 30 years and you'll feel like it's hot outside when it's 35 degrees in December.

Seriously, though...these new fleece-lined microfiber pants (or fleece-lined denim) that are available everywhere are what I wear, with my Gore-Tex golf rain pants on top of them. Then several layers for the top, with the Gore-Tex rain jacket. I've been fine down to 10-12 degrees with that combination. It's the feet and fingers you have to worry about when it gets that cold.
Went to the Cotton Bowl when Dandy and Lilly were playing. That was the day when Don told Bob Hayes, run as fast as you can, and I will throw you the ball. He did, and the Cowboys won over Washington for the league championship. Later we saw in the DMN where ole Tom gave Don a fine for not following the play he called and chewed his butt ox for five minutes. On that day, the temp was around 20 and the wind was blowing hard. We layered so much we could hardly walk. Still bone chilling cold, we went to the concession stand and bought empty potato chip box's for five dollars to keep our feet warm from the wind. It didn't help, btw.

calisuperfrog

I've tried a number of combinations, but always seem to have great difficulty staying warm at AGC when it's cold (or being out in the cold in most any situation).

The one thing I haven't tried yet is thermal underwear. I've looked at everything from Hanes/Dickies/Fruit of the Loom to Smartwool Merino 250.

I'm not a winter athlete, just looking for the most effective way to stay warm when sitting in a cold environment. Any recommendations would be MOST appreciated! :)
There isn’t bad weather, just bad gear as the northerners say. Buy good stuff and you can enjoy the cold games (although cool you will not look). Thermals are great and usually have a rating for cold. Wool is awesome and if it gets damp you won’t freeze. Layer and have a outer layer that breaks up the wind! I was comfy during the last game but I looked like I was duck hunting… I hate being cold too. Go Frogs.