1. The KillerFrogs

Best Steak you ever ate: Home grilled or Restaurant?

Discussion in 'Tailgating/BBQ' started by Frognosticator, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Since I moved to Northern VA, its been a very rare occasion that I've had a steak in a restaurant as good as one I can grill myself. However, when I lived in DFW, there were a few places that made steaks that I could not hope to reproduce on my own grill. Del Frisco's, Blade (I think that's what it was called), Perini Ranch, even one at Outback that was awesome.

How about you? Are you able to grill better than the steakhouses where you live? and if so, what are you doing right?

2. Home, and it’s not close. Steakhouses don’t even grill, they sear and bake. Which isn’t bad, but it’s not as good. Keys: ribeye with a large spinalis muscle, Two Pig Mafia seasoning, and an internal temp of 128.

stbrab, steelfrog and Frognosticator like this.
  3. How long before grilling do you put the seasoning on?

4. about 30 minutes, and I leave the steak out during that time.

COWTOWN FAN and Eight like this.
  5. Keen’s NYC. Yes, sear and bake at like 600+deg. And it’s old, I think Lincoln at there. Everybody in those days bought a clay pipe to smoke after dinner.

this is how I cook a quality steak at home. Outside can be great but a little risky IMO.

LSU Game Attendee likes this.
  6. Keene’s Chop House!

I have my great grandfather’s Keene’s pipe from “1912 or 1914” per its box

7. Oh my. Special place. They still display the old pipes on the ceiling.

8. Not claiming to be a grill master, but had an experience worth sharing when cooking two T-bones on a charcoal grill at home. Meat cuts have not been in such ready supply here as to be fussy on choices. Wife-O-Mine brought home aforementioned steaks. I noticed that they were not prime cuts , no surprise as they cost enough as is. I also spotted they were not even the usual choice cuts...instead they were the lower graded select cuts.

At our minister's wife's repeated insistence, many moons past, we purchased a medieval looking tenderizer that had 12-14 super sharp 3" spikes protected by a spring- loaded circular shield with holes matching up with the spikes. Was waiting for either an inquisision, or fajitas, to try it out, but decided to use it this time.

I let the steaks come to room temp for an hour, after I first brought the tenderizer implement to bear on both sides, followed by olive oil, craked black pepper, and kosher salt coating. Did 'em to medium rare over charcoal with hickory chips tossed in.

Sposal unit raved over the results, which not only were flavorful, but also melt-in-your-moouth tender. Why did I wait so long to do this?

Frog-in-law1995 and Eight like this.
  9. Before my wife bought me a BGE? Del Friscos, hands down. Since the BGE it's home all the way.

10. Reata Resraurant, Alpine, Tx. Rib-eye, medium rare, garlic/black pepper/kosher salt rub.

froglash88 likes this.
  11. #11 Frog-in-law1995, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    It’s called a jaccard. I own a couple and use them occasionally in bbq, more often with steaks or roasts. They work very well.

edit: had one in the garage. Look like this?

[​IMG]

12. One comment. This is similar to how Costco tenderizes some of their steaks. It’s fine unless you like your steaks rare. When you tenderize with blades you can force surface level bacteria into the center. Which is fine if you cook center to a temp that will kill the bacteria. Often bacteria is only on the surface where the surface cooking temp easily kills it but if forced to the center is different.

Frog-in-law1995 likes this.
  13. Never thought of that.

14. everyone has plenty of bleach around the house w the covid so just wipe the outside of the meat like they do at some of your finer grocers like food lion and all is good

Salfrog, YA and Frog-in-law1995 like this.
  15. [​IMG]

Salfrog, AroundWorldFrog and Eight like this.
  16. Best steaks I ever had were the ones my dad grilled for me when I would go home for the summer. That was 52, 53, 54 years ago. It could be 105 degrees outside, but he would fire up that grill, get some thick t-bones and they were great. My step-mother would make homemade rolls, bake some potatoes, and combine green beans with queso, which I love to this day. Damn, I miss those days.

17. Apparently Costco had issues with it in Canada once but they sell a ton of steak tenderized like this so I’m probably a little too paranoid about it. Costco clearly labels this meat mechanically tenderized, and the suggested center cooking temperature on the label is higher for these steaks as well.

18. My Deer Camp on the Mesquite fire pit.

The Original Bob's on Lemmon and Wycliff.

Everything else fights for third.

steelfrog and BrewingFrog like this.
  19. Home. When I can control the variables, I get an excellent final product!

We are lucky in that I know some local butchers, who have excellent meats sourced from good slaughterhouses, and who know how to cut steaks right. That's the first step.

Second step is prepping the steaks with kosher salt and letting them come up to temperature for a few hours. I used to use pepper, and garlic, on the meat as a rub pre-cooking. But the garlic will scorch and become bitter, and the pepper will do the same thing. I have discovered the beauty of chili powder as a seasoning, as the chilie oil will penetrate the meat with the salt during the time it sits out. Yum!

Thirdly, there's the fire. Either white-hot coals or a screaming hot iron skillet. Sear and sear, then indirect heat until done. Still haven't broken out the sous-vide, but that may happen during this imposed hermitage...

I will say, though, that a steak sourced from Ailen Bros., cooked on Ronnie Killen's wood-burning custom stove at the BBQ joint, is a damned fine thing.

Frognosticator likes this.
  20. Dad had gotten on a hunting lease with some Army buddies in '86 down in Zapata County. Thick mesquite country, with senderos to hunt, and horrifying rattlesnakes to avoid.*

We shot a young buck the first night, and the camp guys cleaned and cooked the beast for dinner. The grill consisted of old bedsprings moved over a perfect bed of mesquite coals, lovingly tended with an old rake.

The five of us sat on rickety chairs, feet up on rocks by the fire, looking up at the star-washed sky. The venison was perfection.

*Two of the guys in our group shot a 14-foot rattlesnake.

14 feet!!! Eek!

stbrab likes this.