• The KillerFrogs

Best BBQ in town

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Everyone has their favorite. What's yours?

You may or may not believe this but I rank Central Market's ribs and brisket as some of the best in Fort Worth.  They use great meat.  The ribs are always meaty and well cooked.  However the brisket is usually superb.

I never thought that I would have something positive to say about grocery store BBQ but CM's is great

Has anyone tried Heim's yet?  Thoughts?

tcumaniac

I'm a moist cut brisket kind of guy, but I've struggled to find a place I'm extremely impressed with in Ft Worht. 

I enjoy Coopers, but it's too expensive. 

Counsin's has gone down hill a litle bit since Jeff Payne sold his portion of the ownership. 

Angelos and Railhead are both very overrated imo. 

Never tried CM. Do they smoke their own meat? 

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
MR. TCU (tcumaniac) said:
I'm a moist cut brisket kind of guy, but I've struggled to find a place I'm extremely impressed with in Ft Worht. 

I enjoy Coopers, but it's too expensive. 

Counsin's has gone down hill a litle bit since Jeff Payne sold his portion of the ownership. 

Angelos and Railhead are both very overrated imo. 

Never tried CM. Do they smoke their own meat? 
Oh yeah they smoke their own.

What I like about is they'll usually slice off whatever part of the brisket that you want.  For me, thats the burnt ends which are like brisket candy

I feel the same way about all of the other, more famous places.

A few other places to check out.  BBQ Ranch and Billys Oak Acres. Both are pretty solid 

Purp

wes said:

What I like about is they'll usually slice off whatever part of the brisket that you want.  For me, thats the burnt ends which are like brisket candy

A few other places to check out.  BBQ Ranch and Billys Oak Acres. Both are pretty solid 
The bolded part is precisely my thinking.  Billy's Oak Acres is excellent, but I think Cooper's is better.  

I was a huge fan of Angelos 15 years ago, but haven't been there in almost as long.  I understand it's not what it once used to be.

I'll have to give CM a try.

pgdaly84

Smokey's on Lancaster is the best BBQ I've had in Fort Worth. It's not in the best part of town, but it's fantastic. Brisket is great. Not on Pecan Lodge level, but really good. Ribs are awesome if you like a sweet glaze. Best sides I've had at a BBQ place. Want to try Billy's Oak Acres. I've heard it's excellent.

Reptilian

It's hard to find consistent greatness in BBQ. After a game last Fall we stopped on the way back to coppell at Angelo's and got some brisket to snack on for the ride. Fantastic. No sauce needed which is how I like it. We made point of getting to the fort early enough for the next game to eat a full lunch/dinner. Brisket was dry and under seasoned. Ribs were good as was the sausage.

Railhead is up/down as well.

Hard eight has been our fave for a while and bring a bunch of "brush poppers" to the tailgate every Game. However, they went from $12/lb to $15 for all their meats, poppers etc. Seems a bit rich for BBQ.

CM is intriguing. May hit that this weekend.

RufeBruton

Was at Railhead last weekend.  Ordered a bake potato with brisket.  Brisket was terrible.  Came in a small cardboard tray and the tray ended up being more tender.  I have had good experiences there before, but this was a disaster.  Angelos has been better the last four or five times (our go-to place for pre-game meals).  Wonder if Central Market in Plano also has decent BBQ.

BABYFACE

Angelos brisket has been good most of the time. Railhead is real hit and miss on brisket and more miss. Ribs have been consistent lately at RH. Chicken is better at Angelos than RH since they do halves and quarters rather than boneless skinless breasts at RH that dry out.

My ribs are the best..

Smoked Pork chop on Fridays at Smoke Pit is good. Their BBQ, not so much.

Making sure I make a Lockhart BBQ trip this Summer.

Frogenstein

BBQ On the Brazos, which is in Cresson right outside of Fort Worth and well worth the drive, is very good especially the brisket. The burnt ends are very good as well.

wes said:

Is BBQ ranch the one off silver creek by lake worth?

HToady

Coopers, as an establishment sucks. Too big, too commercial. The brisket is awful, but the chicken is not bad.

Sammies in Haltom City is just as good as anywhere in FW.

Although it's not in FW, Franklins is the best I've ever had. Goes to show you what is possible if you don't scrimp on cooking time.