1. The KillerFrogs

Best albums of all time excluding live or greatest hits compilations

Discussion in 'The Bar' started by tcudoc, Feb 26, 2021.

1. #1 tcudoc, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    What albums are great from start to finish? Meaning, not a bad song on the entire album.

Here are a few to start:
    Van Halen I (nod to Fair Warning and 1984 as well)
    Led Zeppelin IV (I could have also picked a few others like II, Physical Graffitti or In Through the Out Door)
    Journey-Escape
    The Cars-first album
    Def Leppard-Hysteria (Pyromania is likely the same way)
    Prince-Purple Rain
    Peter Gabriel-So (The album Us is even better but not as commercially successful)
    AC/DC-Back in Black
    Elton John-Captain Fantastic (nod to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Madman Across the Water as well)
    The Babys-Union Jacks
    Loverboy-first album
    Missing Persons-Spring Session M (if you are not already a fan, you may disagree, but the musicianship of this band is extraordinary-many are turned off by the vocals, which can be polarizing)
    Sammy Hagar-Standing Hampton (Sammy peaked with this album IMHO)
    April Wine-Harder...Faster (nod to Sign of the Gypsy Queen as well; great band that was always underrated performing at their high point)

2. Off the top of my head...

Boston’s eponymous first album
    GnR -Appetite for Destruction
    Run DMC - Raising Hell
    Beastie Boys - License to Ill
    U2 - Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby
    Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    ZZTop - Tres Hombres
    Nirvana - Nevermind (not my style, but undeniable)

edit: Pearl Jam - 10.

3. Yes, Joshua Tree should have been on my list.

gohornedfrogs likes this.
  4. MJ - Thriller
    Garth - Eponymous and No Fences

gohornedfrogs and Eight like this.
  5. He made Thriller...Thriller.
    [​IMG]

Eight and Frog-in-law1995 like this.
  6. clash - london calling
    pink floyd - dark side of the moon
    david bowie - the rise and fall of ziggy stardust
    rage against the machine - rage against the machine
    oasis - morning glory
    cranberries - everyone else is doing it so.....
    beethoven - second symphony

7. The reason Dark Side of the Moon sold so many copies:
    If you loaned it to someone, it was never given back.

8. Foreigner 4

9. #9 gohornedfrogs, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Holy [ #2020 ], doc. That’s pretty much my exact list.

Add:

Aerosmith — Get Your Wings
    AC/DC — Highway to Hell
    The Clash — London Calling
    Sex Pistols — Nevermind the Bollocks
    Springsteen — Born to Run
    Eagles — Hotel California
    Fleetwood Mac — Rumours

I’d like to add a Bowie album, but every one of his had a couple of real duds.

stbrab likes this.
  10. bowie would change his sounds and style so much it just seemed he was destined to either hit home runs or miss the mark.

beastie boys are similar to me in that they had some albums that hit on damn near every song and then there would be that one that they tried something different which is what made them great, but.....

think the common thread in all of these albums is they just had a different feel than anything else out at the time.

straight out of compton by nwa falls into another album that fits into this list for me

11. boy I almost put that Cranberries album on there.

12. Standing Hampton, to me, has always been the standard for what a great "album" should be. Every song was good. It was pure rock n' roll. It stayed true to itself. It never feels like they stuck something in there because they needed extra tracks.

I can't believe I found another April Wine fan. Seems like the world forgot about them.

frogfanRyoga, BrewingFrog and tcudoc like this.
  13. Bowie is probably my favorite artist of all time. He just experimented within albums too much to really say that there was one that was great top to bottom.

Eight likes this.
  14. I should have added The Killers -- Hot Fuss.

Seems like they found a way to put every good song of theirs on one album and do mostly crap on every other one.

Eight likes this.
  15. Or maybe you got so stoned listening to it you forgot where you left it?

Eight likes this.
  16. bowie as he got older just seemed to be so comfortable with who he was and never felt the need to fit into a box or play the role of the aging old rock star

besides, he gave us this great scene:

17. How did I forget Tom Petty -- Damn the Torpedoes.

stbrab, ftwfrog, Eight and 1 other person like this.
  18. April Wine had a streak of several years with a lineup that was incredible. The so-called, Capitol years in the early 80's. Before and after that, they had some stinkers with some good stuff mixed in. But the years starting with First Glance and ending with Animal Grace were good ones. Power Play was in there too. My personal favorite was Harder...Faster, but the brevity of it gave me a feeling of being cheated, much like when Van Halen released Diver Down. Diver Down has some of my favorites, such as Little Guitars and Secrets, but the whole album was only 29 minutes in length. It was originally on Vinyl, and that fact was obfuscated by the number of songs, which was misleading because they listed all intros and short instrumentals separately. Once I had it on CD and the run time of 29 minutes became so obvious, I instantly knew why I had felt cheated by that release.

19. [​IMG]

stbrab, gohornedfrogs and tcudoc like this.
  20. Another one that FIL has made fun of me for before is Billy Squier's Don't Say No. But front to back, that was a solid album.