• The KillerFrogs

Becoming more knowledgeable hoops fans

JugbandFrog

KF.c has a large number of posters who can discuss the finer points of offensive and defensive football schemes: the 4-2-5, Cover 2, Air Raid, pro style, spread option, and any number of others.

We're woeful at doing the same with college basketball. Game threads and other forum discussion would benefit from more TCU fans (myself included) having a better understanding of sets and strategy. If TCU is going to be something of a basketball school, we need to up our game.

One place to get familiar with college (and pro) hoop X's and O's: https://thebasketballplaybook.com/xs-os-2/

Other suggestions from people who know the game well?

More Phi Slamma Jamma

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Oh well, if the guy from Indiana can't offer hoops insight, we're screwed.

Truth be known, I’m from Houston. Just stuck here because my Coon Arse wife never lived north of I 10 and wanted to see 4 seasons and snow.

FYI, Banes made Indy Star All Indiana team of guys playing in NCAA (2nd team).

JogginFrog

My guess is that nobody on this board can offer any expertise to our teams than the people being paid to run them. Just guessing, though.

I wasn't suggesting that the team needs input from this board, though maybe the post on free-throw foot position could be interpreted that way. I mostly want to see interaction that helps us be better fans. I know a lot more about football than I would otherwise because of what smart people share on this board. Baseball too. Even tennis.

I never feel that way about basketball. And it's not because I'm a hoops junkie.

We don't all need to watch videos on basketball strategy--but if the basketball-smart people post more--or post more about specifics of game strategy/execution, maybe we'll all get smarter.

MTFrog5 said in-game threads maybe aren't the place to expect deep discussion of X's and O's. That's a fair point. But seeing it anywhere on this board would be great.

JogginFrog

Noticed this article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette suggesting that Dixon might be an underappreciated offensive genius.

If you know the scoring pace of his Pitt teams, the suggestion might make you laugh. But you can win a lot of games at a slow pace, as Dixon did at Pitt, if your team consistently executes more efficiently than your opponents. Writer points out that Dixon is one of only two coaches in the six power basketball conferences whose teams finished in the top 50 in offensive efficiency for 13 straight years. The other? Mike Kzyzewski.