• The KillerFrogs

Bearing the brunt of two Kansas schools

The one school I would prefer not being in the Big 12 is Kansas State. The population of Kansas is only 2.9 million and in today’s era of TV viewership numbers it is impractical to have two Power 5 schools in Kansas, and in the same conference! The University of Kansas and Kansas State have the worst football TV viewership numbers in the Big 12—the bottom two.

Seems logical that each school is dragging down the TV numbers of the other and the Big 12 is bearing the full brunt of this—the Big 12 is not sharing this burden of two with another conference having one of them; the Big XII has both—it is foolish! If the University of Kansas was the only Power 5 school in the state, then its football team’s success, popularity and TV viewership numbers would trend up. All of this is enough pragmatic justification to understandably and politely ask Kansas State to leave the Big XII, hmm.

Last edited:

Eight

The one school I would prefer not being in the Big 12 is Kansas State. The population of Kansas is only 2.9 million and in today’s era of viewership numbers it is impractical to have two Power 5 schools in that state, and in the same conference! Seems logical that each school is dragging down the numbers of the other and the Big 12 is bearing the full brunt of this—the Big 12 is not sharing this burden of two with another Power 5 conference having one of them; we have both—it is foolish! If the University of Kansas was the only Power 5 in the state, its football program, popularity and fan numbers would trend up in the long term. This pragmatic justification is enough to politely and understandably ask Kansas State to leave the Big 12, hmm.

kansas had a successful program under mangino so the presence of kstate doesn't keep kansas from winning

horrible hires and throwing the bulk of their resources into basketball is what hurts kansas and do you honestly believe your idea of asking kansas state to leave would fly in the state of kansas?

you want to cut someone from the upper mid-west it is quite simply iowa state

Brett Yormark can go to the governor of Kansas and sell this thought. You are selling pragmatic reason, so there is little to feel uncomfortable about. It is sensical for the flagship University of Kansas and the Big 12, and as a proud member of the Big XII, the state of Kansas and its governor should do what is best for the conference. Impress me Yormark, and get that done.

Last edited:
At this point I think that the Big 12 must show loyalty to those who show loyalty to the conference. Right now that's the only thing that is putting the Big 12 in what I believe is a better strategic position than the Pac 12 and maybe even the ACC.

NF
Agree, timing is important, so choose the right time—preferably before the next TV contract negotiation.

Last edited:

asleep003

What the hell are you talking about Ain't ! KSU, and I believe we're primarily talking Football... right... spend most of every year in the top division of the Big12 or go bowling/great bowl record over the years(not to mention beating the Aggies in the 2016 Texas Bowl)/fill their stadium every game/ travel very well. Just basically represent the B12 with class. The Cyclones also pack their 55,000 seat stadium and travel well.

Last edited:
What the hell are you talking about Ain't ! KSU, and I believe we're primarily talking Football... right... spend most of every year in the top division of the Big12 or go bowling/great bowl record over the years(not to mention beating the Aggies in the 2016 Texas Bowl)/fill their stadium every game/ travel very well. Just basically represent the B12 with class. The Cyclones also pack their 55,000 seat stadium and travel well.
It is about TV viewership. Kansas and Kansas State have the worst football TV viewership numbers in the Big 12, the bottom two! In the same state! Both in our conference! The state of Kansas should be pleased as punch to have one P5 school. Those poor TV viewership numbers were during their good long run of their winning Bill Snyder years. That is as good as it gets and it ain’t good. Kansas State is a relatively small 2nd tier state school of 20k students (15.6k undergraduates). The state of Kansas is not worthy of two P5 teams in this era of TV viewership numbers dictating.

A state with only 2.9 million people, but with two power 5 schools with very little, if any, national appeal other than Kansas basketball. One flagship school is more than enough representation for the state of Kansas. And the football viewership numbers bear that out. So you go with the flagship University of Kansas and strengthen it by removing the weaker Kansas State which hamstrings the Jayhawks ability to thrive in football, popularity and TV viewership.

Last edited:
The Big 12 can dismiss one weak viewership school, Kansas State, which with its presence in the same conference weakens the other school in the same small state, the flagship University of Kansas. Then add a stronger school to replace Kansas State and you net two stronger viewership schools, instead of two weak football schools. Simply logical, FAIR, and good for the bottom line.

I am finding ways to clumsily repeat myself, and I am feeling a bit like Fiscuits, sheesh.

Last edited:

Brog

Brett Yormark can go to the governor of Kansas and sell this thought. You are selling pragmatic reason, so there is little to feel uncomfortable about. It is sensical for the flagship University of Kansas and the Big 12, and as a proud member of the Big XII, the state of Kansas and its governor should do what is best for the conference. Impress me Yormark, and get that done.
Not very likely.

Don’t pick on the PAC’s Oregon State and Washington State before you evaluate your in-house bottom feeder. Kansas State TV viewership, while winning with Bill Snyder, is about the same as Oregon State’s. So after normalizing TV viewership for wins, Kansas State is at the bottom.

Yes, the University of Kansas is currently worse in football viewership, but I think that during the winning Mangino years, Kansas’ TV numbers were better than Bill Snyder’s Kansas State. The Jayhawks are basketball and the large higher tier flagship university that will rise in football if Kansas State is relegated.

Last edited:

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
The one school I would prefer not being in the Big 12 is Kansas State. The population of Kansas is only 2.9 million and in today’s era of viewership numbers it is impractical to have two Power 5 schools in that state, and in the same conference! Seems logical that each school is dragging down the numbers of the other and the Big 12 is bearing the full brunt of this—the Big 12 is not sharing this burden of two with another conference having one of them; the Big XII has both—it is foolish! If the University of Kansas was the only Power 5 school in the state, then its football team’s success, popularity and viewership numbers would trend up. All of this is enough pragmatic justification to understandably and politely ask Kansas State to leave the Big XII, hmm.

Are you on drugs?!

Or are you just the dumbest SOAB on the planet?!

asleep003

It is about TV viewership. Kansas and Kansas State have the worst football TV viewership numbers in the Big 12, the bottom two! In the same state! Both in our conference! The state of Kansas should be pleased as punch to have one P5 school. Kansas State showed that during their good long run of their Bill Snyder years that their TV viewership was still poor. That is as good as it gets and it ain’t good. Kansas State is a relatively small 2nd tier state school of 20k students (15.6k undergraduates). The state of Kansas is not worthy of two P5 teams in this era of TV viewership numbers dictating.

A state with only 2.9 million people, but with two power 5 schools with very little, if any, national appeal other than Kansas basketball. One flagship school is more than enough representation for the state of Kansas. And the football viewership numbers bear that out. So you go with the flagship University of Kansas and strengthen it by removing the weaker Kansas State which hamstrings the Jayhawks ability to thrive in football, popularity and TV viewership.
Don't act like a knucklehead... no one on this site has talked as much and definitely not more about Viewership/#s than I !!! So save the lecture. Big 12 needs to focus on eyeballs for the future, which they've done well for the 4 newest members. We don't eliminate smaller viewership members who have been members since 1937(Big6) and have represented the league well, thru thick and thin.

The focus should be on future members' viewership, which means UA with it's one million metro market, which could be ignored, unless ASU can't come without them. Plus of those miniscule 3(KU/ISU) you mentioned would be the last of the Big12's AAU member schools, if they were to go ?%?#?$? Ain't happening Ain't.

Last edited:

froginaustin

K-State's viewers don't usually live in whatever "metro" area claims that university. They spread all over the place to find jobs. There are quite a few (anecdotally; haven't done a survey or a census) in Austin. I suspect there are lots in DFW, Houston, and Kansas City.

KU - same situation.

I am somewhat sheepish about typing this. OP reads like a troll attempt, and I bit.

Froglaw

The one school I would prefer not being in the Big 12 is Kansas State. The population of Kansas is only 2.9 million and in today’s era of viewership numbers it is impractical to have two Power 5 schools in that state, and in the same conference! Seems logical that each school is dragging down the numbers of the other and the Big 12 is bearing the full brunt of this—the Big 12 is not sharing this burden of two with another conference having one of them; the Big XII has both—it is foolish! If the University of Kansas was the only Power 5 school in the state, then its football team’s success, popularity and viewership numbers would trend up. All of this is enough pragmatic justification to understandably and politely ask Kansas State to leave the Big XII, hmm.

Have you been to a Tcu game at KState?

Obviously not because they sell out every home game with incredible fan support.

I’m always jealous of their home fans.

No, assuming this is a vote, keep KSTATE and dump UH and BYU.

Don't act like a knucklehead... no one on this site has talked as much and definitely not more about Viewership/#s than I !!! So save the lecture. Big 12 needs to focus on eyeballs for the future, which they've done well for the 4 newest members. We don't eliminate smaller viewership members who have been members since 1937(Big6) and have represented the league well, thru thick and thin.

The focus should be on future members' viewership, which means UA with it's one million metro market, which could be ignored, unless ASU can't come without them. Plus of those miniscule 3(KU/ISU) you mentioned would be the last of the Big12's AAU member schools, if they were to go ?%?#?$? Ain't happening Ain't.
003, you are construing my answer to your question as a “lecture.” If you don’t want me to answer then don’t comment and ask. Since I took the time to answer your question, I expect some courtesy—if you are going to criticize my response then take time to digest what I did or did not say. I did not once mention Iowa State in this thread and I am supporting the University of Kansas as the lone P5 school from the state of Kansas in the Big XII. That is part of the thought. You can choose to construe that as a “lecture,” ha.

FrogByBirth has shown me a couple of times that he does not want to hear from me and is not worth my time—there are some fellas posting on KF that likely chase others away. The rude may not care, but maybe the forum owners do. It appears to be a minority that really participate and I wonder why, hmm.

@froginaustin—all good, I am not trolling, simply giving thought. I despise trolls.

Last edited:
I am surprised that there is so much support (well, how much really) for Kansas State, while most would not even consider adding Oregon State and Washington State to the Big 12 unless desperate. People are biased by their Big 12 brotherhood and those Bill Snyder teams.

Last edited: