• The KillerFrogs

BCS FUTURE PLAN

Purple Geezer

TV is not going to rest until an NFL of college football happens. About 75 teams, preferably all state universities plus Notre Dame, all of them cheating, lying, and stealing to win and rake in the money.

I can't see anything to stop it. Certainly not a pack of spineless, money-grubbing university presidents.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(Purple Geezer @ Apr 23 2010, 01:08 PM) [snapback]549348[/snapback]
TV is not going to rest until an NFL of college football happens. About 75 teams, preferably all state universities plus Notre Dame, all of them cheating, lying, and stealing to win and rake in the money.

I can't see anything to stop it. Certainly not a pack of spineless, money-grubbing university presidents.

Probably true. Takes money to buy whiskey.

At 75 teams (an odd number), TCU's chance of inclusion is better than fair.

Dogfrog

I agree this is where things seem to be headed. However, I believe they will find that the more they reduce the differentiation between college and the NFL game, they will be more in direct competition with the NFL and the college game will lose some of its core strength. They'll never admit it, but I think the college game needs all the also ran schools and conferences to help maintain the illusion of amateurism and the collegiate atmosphere.

The day is drawing near when Purple Geezer lumps the university presidents in with referees. It's only a matter of time. :biggrin:
Or maybe he just did!

HoustonHornedFrog

Sorry but the evidence doesn't support your theory. If you think about the changes to TV coverage of college football over the last 10 - 15 years, coupled with things like scholarship limits, the chances for schools like TCU to compete with the schools like Texas and OU on the field and the opportunity for them to be seen on TV has greatly increased. With an ever increasing number of channels to fill, "TV" needs all 120+ schools in the present mix and then some to fill space. "TV" has no incentive to narrow the field; in fact they have the opposite incentive.

Remember it was "TV" that was behind the increase to 92 teams for the NCAA basketball tourney. If you are going to continue to put more and more games on TV, which all evidence points to, the last thing you want to do it make many of them seem less important by decreasing by 40% the number of schools who are playing at the top level...

True that the money that TV has brought into the game have influenced things like conference alignment, but TV isn't trying to artificially limit the field.

P.S. If your theory is correct, I assume you are going to let USC (also a private school) in with ND.

Delmonico

Semi-Omnipotent Being
QUOTE(HoustonHornedFrog @ Apr 23 2010, 02:02 PM) [snapback]549385[/snapback]
With an ever increasing number of channels to fill, "TV" needs all 120+ schools in the present mix and then some to fill space. "TV" has no incentive to narrow the field; in fact they have the opposite incentive.

How many of those 120 schools ever see the light of day on TV? Even the midweek games on ESPN are generally only the top teams on the WAC, MAC, CUSA and Sun Belt. Ever see North Texas on ESPN?

Remember it was "TV" that was behind the increase to 92 teams for the NCAA basketball tourney. If you are going to continue to put more and more games on TV, which all evidence points to, the last thing you want to do it make many of them seem less important by decreasing by 40% the number of schools who are playing at the top level...

Big difference between a post-season tournament and regular season.

And it's only 68 - IOW, 3 extra games.

OmniscienceFrog

QUOTE(Zebra Frog @ Apr 23 2010, 01:59 PM) [snapback]549383[/snapback]
The day is drawing near when Purple Geezer lumps the university presidents in with referees. It's only a matter of time. :biggrin:
Or maybe he just did!

The university presidents haven't slipped quite that far....................................................yet. :tongue:

jack the frog

Sorry but the evidence doesn't support your theory. If you think about the changes to TV coverage of college football over the last 10 - 15 years, coupled with things like scholarship limits, the chances for schools like TCU to compete with the schools like Texas and OU on the field and the opportunity for them to be seen on TV has greatly increased. With an ever increasing number of channels to fill, "TV" needs all 120+ schools in the present mix and then some to fill space. "TV" has no incentive to narrow the field; in fact they have the opposite incentive.

True that the money that TV has brought into the game have influenced things like conference alignment, but TV isn't trying to artificially limit the field.

P.S. If your theory is correct, I assume you are going to let USC (also a private school) in with ND.

You make some good points, many of those changes were designed as you say, to "level the playing field," however, was this done in an egalitarian effort to help smaller school or to make the games more enjoyable and attractive to view on TV, therefore increasing viewership?
TV does not necessarily have an incentive to limit the field, but they do have an incentive to sharpshoot a particular relevant audience with regional coverage and packages.
All these are pretty consistent with the Big Boy model.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Nothing like a nice positive post from PG.

Ok, so if ND is the only non-state school, then TCU (2 National titles) is left out in the cold... along with USC (7 to 17, depending on poll), Miami (5 consensus NC), BYU (1 NC), Vandy, Stanford, Northwestern, Syracuse, Duke, Wake, BC, Baylor et al?

Yeah that sounds realistic and reasonable.

Frogs1983

When did this happen?Did I miss something this weeK?

Frogenstein

The media reported that it was all but a done deal that the NCAA Tournament field would expand to 92 teams. However, it ended up only expanding to 68 teams as stated above with the new tv deal that will pay billions to the NCAA and now every tournament game will be televised.

Purple Geezer

QUOTE(Houston Frog @ Apr 23 2010, 07:19 PM) [snapback]549389[/snapback]
Glad to see Purple Geezer is as bubbly and optimistic about everything as he usually is.

Years of traveling the weary trail have taught me that to be optimistic is to get one's little heart broken.

Gunner

It's that same ol' ignorant rant, TCU is about to sink. Gets old.

Truth is and our AD has said to folks, TCU has come so far, competitively and facilities wise, any serious changes can only help TCU.

Pressure on the Big 10 to compete and Paterno wants a play off game, to equalize the TV exposure. And that is why 10's move to escalate the process is happening. Plus, all the criticism of the quality of football in the 10, is the primary source for expansion I believe. Herbstreit's rant about how sorry they are, really brought this to a head , I think.

15 teams being considered tells you Delaney is thinking out of the box. TCU is in the 15, just trust me on that...And out of that 15, tell me who helps their football image the most.

At some point does competition came into play?

Not wanting to play up there, but if the offer came, it would be a with money enticement of 22 million--uh, a year!