• The KillerFrogs

BBQ rubs

HooksRubFrog

I go to a couple different stores because no one store close to me sells every product I use. If I were y’all, my first call would be Buc-ee’s. I get the sense they really squeeze their vendors, like Walmart, so you’d probably have to drop your margins, but they have a large bbq display and it will get you in front of an awful lot of eyeballs. None of the rubs on their shelves are priced above $9.99, and it’s the same stuff with a $12 price tag online and at other stores. I’d also definitely reach out to Outdoor Grill Sales in Weatherford (biggest selection in the “Fort Worth area” and allows sampling of each rub...a big plus for customers). Also Papo Joe’s in far north Fort Worth- Alliance area (smaller selection, but less than a month old and still growing...also allows sampling). Also Barbecues Galore in SW Fort Worth and Grapevine (don’t go there much anymore because of the other stores, but has a commendable rub selection and the location near TCU might be willing to play up your connection). Another spot you might call is Ace Hardware. They have a decent-ish sized rub shelf. I think they’re individually owned/operated, but the one by me in Keller (Jabo’s Ace Hardware) also has a sister location in Coppell and another right by TCU, which again might be willing to play up your connection. Finally, might look into online retailers too, if you don’t already. The BBQ Superstore and The Barbque (sic) Store are popular.

Oh, and another great store is Champion’s in Amarillo. I always stop by when on my way to or from the mountains.

Hope this helps!

Ha! That’s amazing! I remember the BBQs Galore stores as well as the BBQ websites. I'd love to find my way into Buc-ee’s, but as a small business, I’m not ready to give up my margin at this point. In my other career (LOL), I’ve worked with Walmart, Costco, Best Buy, Sam’s, Target, etc and they all go deep into your pockets. The amount of eyes on the products is unmatched, but at this point, I’d rather be with HEB/Central Market stores before those larger ones. I would say if the opportunity presented itself, I’d have to think long and hard about it LOL. I will definitely look into all these locations. We already are on the shelves of a lot of Ace Hardware stores here and still growing. The locations here have some legitimate BBQ supply sections and are more approachable with helpful people than the larger box stores. We are in the premier BBQ stores here as well which is called the BBQ Pitstop. It’s the place to go for most people who want legitimate rubs and sauces from any well known competition cook or big name.

Thanks for the info, I have some wholesale resources I’ll be looking into for sure!

Here’s a little “brisket style” Chuck roast pic with the Midnight rub we make. Have a good night!

Attachments

• 5FB173C9-BF81-47B9-9871-9117F28A4F7C.jpeg
    5FB173C9-BF81-47B9-9871-9117F28A4F7C.jpeg
    761.5 KB · Views: 10

netty2424

would probably be pretty lame if OP just gave salt and pepper as a gift. Just imo.
Maybe he’s buying a gift for Aaron Franklin?
giphy.gif

asleep003

When at bucees this evening I noticed they have a decent collection of bbq rubs. Killens, meat church, hardcore carnivore, plus a handful of others.

anyone got a brand they prefer? I’m too lazy to make my own and I want to buy one as a gift.
Keep it very simple ... Salt/Pepper/Garlic ... and paprika, at your pleasure for color, if you wish, but not necessary. Adjust salt to meat, pork and chicken less salt than beef.

Your mop is more important and should only go on late in the cook.....

Frog-in-law1995

Ha! That’s amazing! I remember the BBQs Galore stores as well as the BBQ websites. I'd love to find my way into Buc-ee’s, but as a small business, I’m not ready to give up my margin at this point. In my other career (LOL), I’ve worked with Walmart, Costco, Best Buy, Sam’s, Target, etc and they all go deep into your pockets. The amount of eyes on the products is unmatched, but at this point, I’d rather be with HEB/Central Market stores before those larger ones. I would say if the opportunity presented itself, I’d have to think long and hard about it LOL. I will definitely look into all these locations. We already are on the shelves of a lot of Ace Hardware stores here and still growing. The locations here have some legitimate BBQ supply sections and are more approachable with helpful people than the larger box stores. We are in the premier BBQ stores here as well which is called the BBQ Pitstop. It’s the place to go for most people who want legitimate rubs and sauces from any well known competition cook or big name.

Thanks for the info, I have some wholesale resources I’ll be looking into for sure!

Here’s a little “brisket style” Chuck roast pic with the Midnight rub we make. Have a good night!

Notice that y’all “liked” my bbq organization’s Facebook page last night (I’m on the board so am an admin for the Facebook site too and get all the notifications). Welcome!

HooksRubFrog

Notice that y’all “liked” my bbq organization’s Facebook page last night (I’m on the board so am an admin for the Facebook site too and get all the notifications). Welcome!

Which BBQ Org is that? Is it the NTX BBQ Addicts Page? I have been following that for quite a while (maybe years), then just realized that I hadn't "liked" it yet.

That's a very good page.

HooksRubFrog

BTW, will be posting a couple of tailgate recipes on my site within the next couple of days. Easy (for me) to recreate recipes fit for a tailgate or game watching party.

OoooH can't wait til TCU gets to play here in Utah again and we get to tailgate at the BYU campus LOL

Frog-in-law1995

Hey y'all! just stocked some product with one of the local butchers there in Watauga that sells 44 Farms beef among other things, Prolific Butcher Shop. Very cool dude who runs the shop there named Angel. Check out the location here: https://hooksrub.com/pages/find-hooks-rub-in-retail

Bought some wagyu tri tip from them a few weeks ago. It’s a nice place…probably the best pure butcher shop in northern Tarrant County. They have your midnight rub? Might go try that for a competition this weekend.

HooksRubFrog

Bought some wagyu tri tip from them a few weeks ago. It’s a nice place…probably the best pure butcher shop in northern Tarrant County. They have your midnight rub? Might go try that for a competition this weekend.

Yes FIL, they do have the Midnight. There are a couple of BBQ Teams in Texas using it and they are getting walks. Top 3 walks. If you pick up a bottle, please let me know how the cook goes. We normally use it as a combo with the Smokin Sweetness (which prolific also has). It's called the "Double Hook" combo LOL!

Yeah Angel is a cool dude. Had several convos with him.

Frog-in-law1995

Yes FIL, they do have the Midnight. There are a couple of BBQ Teams in Texas using it and they are getting walks. Top 3 walks. If you pick up a bottle, please let me know how the cook goes. We normally use it as a combo with the Smokin Sweetness (which prolific also has). It's called the "Double Hook" combo LOL!

Yeah Angel is a cool dude. Had several convos with him.

Didn’t get a chance to make it over there today, so I’ll have to use my other charcoal rub this weekend, but I will buy a bottle and test run it before my hometown Keller competition on Oct 2/3 (praying for a 7pm kickoff against Texas). Will let you know. Probably also check out the sweet rub too.

HooksRubFrog

Didn’t get a chance to make it over there today, so I’ll have to use my other charcoal rub this weekend, but I will buy a bottle and test run it before my hometown Keller competition on Oct 2/3 (praying for a 7pm kickoff against Texas). Will let you know. Probably also check out the sweet rub too.

How'd the comp go this weekend? Hopefully you got some calls. I'll be competing again on 11/ in St. George, UT. Ribs and Chicken.

Yeah Midnight and Smokin' Sweetness are a perfect combo. Let me know if you have any questions! Have a great weekend and GO Frogs! How about that Win today?!!!

Frog-in-law1995

How'd the comp go this weekend? Hopefully you got some calls. I'll be competing again on 11/ in St. George, UT. Ribs and Chicken.

Yeah Midnight and Smokin' Sweetness are a perfect combo. Let me know if you have any questions! Have a great weekend and GO Frogs! How about that Win today?!!!

Yeah, about that…Uh, it didn’t go so well. First place beans though. So, I’ve got that going for me.

HooksRubFrog

Yeah, about that…Uh, it didn’t go so well. First place beans though. So, I’ve got that going for me.

HA! Well at least you got a call. Congrats on that!

My last comp, my chicken scored 12th and my teammate's ribs were last. In Utah the judges like sweet and no savory or spice, so that's where he had his issue because i loved them! For the chicken, I think i had a little more heat than people liked and I did drumsticks instead of thighs, so it was a different type of turn in. I need to work on my thigh recipe and see if i want to do them or drums for my next comp in November. We'll see!