#BAYLORTEARS

TCUdirtbag

#BAYLORTEARS

IdzZYAN.png

Purp

jewstfrogit said:
TEARS ON TEARS ON TEARS

xtWknpq.png
This is mostly to bump the thread, but I've seen this Hunter Harlow argument a few times and it's so misleading I wouldn't expect a Baylor to understand it so I feel it should be addressed.  39 1st downs versus 23 seems like a lot as does 782 versus 485 yards of offense.  But when you factor in a pick 6 and a KO return for a TD, not to mention the other shortish fields we got after Baylor turnovers, the disparities in those two stats aren't as shocking.  

The pick 6 and KO return TD took roughly 150 yards away from our offense (assuming we take over at the 25 and drive for a TD) and gave Baylor the opportunity for those 150 yards, which they took.  That's roughly a 300 yard swing due to those two plays alone.  

If you figure an average of 15 yards per 1st down that equates to 10 fewer 1st downs for us and 10 more for them, a difference of 20 1st downs total.

I'm clearly making some serious SWAGs, but the point should be clear.  Those stats look eye popping, but when taken in context with the two scores we got without our offense (put another way, the two possessions our defense and ST took from our offense and gave to Baylor) the stats games come out about even.

Ron Swanson

Yep, when you score on defense and special teams, as far as yards/game stats go, you are literally taking away an offensive possession from your team and giving the other team another shot to go get yards.

Like a bizarro make-it-take-it

bear2be2

Purp said:
This is mostly to bump the thread, but I've seen this Hunter Harlow argument a few times and it's so misleading I wouldn't expect a Baylor to understand it so I feel it should be addressed.  39 1st downs versus 23 seems like a lot as does 782 versus 485 yards of offense.  But when you factor in a pick 6 and a KO return for a TD, not to mention the other shortish fields we got after Baylor turnovers, the disparities in those two stats aren't as shocking.  

The pick 6 and KO return TD took roughly 150 yards away from our offense (assuming we take over at the 25 and drive for a TD) and gave Baylor the opportunity for those 150 yards, which they took.  That's roughly a 300 yard swing due to those two plays alone.  

If you figure an average of 15 yards per 1st down that equates to 10 fewer 1st downs for us and 10 more for them, a difference of 20 1st downs total.

I'm clearly making some serious SWAGs, but the point should be clear.  Those stats look eye popping, but when taken in context with the two scores we got without our offense (put another way, the two possessions our defense and ST took from our offense and gave to Baylor) the stats games come out about even.
This argument holds some water when talking about about total yardage. But it falls apart when you look at yards per play. Baylor averaged more than 7 yards per play in that game. TCU averaged 5.4. That's a big gap that can't be explained away so easily. The defensive and special teams scores cost TCU some plays. But with the same number of plays Baylor ran, TCU would have gained 189 fewer yards. Baylor's offensive numbers that day were eye-popping any way you slice it.

bsquared63

bear2be2 said:
This argument holds some water when talking about about total yardage. But it falls apart when you look at yards per play. Baylor averaged more than 7 yards per play in that game. TCU averaged 5.4. That's a big gap that can't be explained away so easily. The defensive and special teams scores cost TCU some plays. But with the same number of plays Baylor ran, TCU would have gained 189 fewer yards. Baylor's offensive numbers that day were eye-popping any way you slice it.
so was their loss to WV.

TCaliU

The last time the Bears scheduled a regular-season game against a team that was in a power-five conference was six years ago in 2009, when it travelled to Wake Forest and beat the Demon Deacons 24-21.

Since then, Baylor has played 19 consecutive non-conference games against non-power teams. The Bears record over this span is 18-1; the only loss coming, ironically, to No. 4 TCU in 2010, when the Horned Frogs were still members of the Mountain West.
LOL