• The KillerFrogs

Baylor's Seth Russell Has a Cervical Fracture

Boomhauer

SonnaBubba said:
I just hope Russell is getting mature and knowledgeable advice from people he trusts.  Unless the pain is debilitating, every player worth his salt wants to get back in the game immediately.  Warden Briles has proved that he'll let them, if there's any possible way he can.  

This sounds like the kind of injury that could have life-long repercussions though, and Russell's decision should never be influenced by the likes of good old Uncle Artie.

1950_4.jpg

f_399

Running is a big part of Russels game.

Take that away and it makes it a little easier to defend them.

I would be a little worried having to go against the top B12 teams with a "sore" neck.

ifrog

Just watched ESPN and Joe Schadt and a surgeon said it could be two months minimum if the news is good based on Baylor reports. It could likely end his career if it's more than a bone chip. This isn't based on any new info fwiw but it was interesting

jake102

Everything I've seen is 6-8 weeks in a brace, at best.

And yeh, if it's worse, could be career threatening.

I guess best case scenario is that whatever scan they did on Saturday was incorrect.

TCUdirtbag

ifrog said:
Just watched ESPN and Joe Schadt and a surgeon said it could be two months minimum if the news is good based on Baylor reports. It could likely end his career if it's more than a bone chip. This isn't based on any new info fwiw but it was interesting

Look, I hate Baylor as much as everyone here.  But I (and I know most if not all of us) absolutely hate this for Russell even more.  Guy worked his ass off for 4 years and had to ride the bench behind RG3, Florence and Petty (also great college QBs) and it looks like his one shot in college is about to get cut in half (if not his career cut off).  I can't imagine how hard that's going to be for him.  

jake102

Yeah I hope he is able to heal and play, even if it's next year. He likely has a decent shot at NFL so it would be a shame.

Seems like a decent guy too.

ifrog

TCUdirtbag said:

Look, I hate Baylor as much as everyone here.  But I (and I know most if not all of us) absolutely hate this for Russell even more.  Guy worked his [Rod Gilmore] off for 4 years and had to ride the bench behind RG3, Florence and Petty (also great college QBs) and it looks like his one shot in college is about to get cut in half (if not his career cut off).  I can't imagine how hard that's going to be for him.  
Absolutely agree

crash813

TCUdirtbag said:

Look, I hate Baylor as much as everyone here.  But I (and I know most if not all of us) absolutely hate this for Russell even more.  Guy worked his [Rod Gilmore] off for 4 years and had to ride the bench behind RG3, Florence and Petty (also great college QBs) and it looks like his one shot in college is about to get cut in half (if not his career cut off).  I can't imagine how hard that's going to be for him.  

Russell can be thankful for one thing though, he can walk.  Life is rough but this is more of a warning shot.  A good friend of mine is paralyzed from a bad tackle in HS football.  I hope the best for the young man but concentrate on what all he still has, whether or not football is part of it.

froginmn

TCUdirtbag said:

I can think of some people who probably hate Baylor more.

But yes, point well taken. Completely sucks for him and the team, as is the case with every kid who ends up in a situation like this.

mc1502

Looks like he has a facet fracture, whatever that is.   Best case scenario was for him to come back for the playoffs.

This crap is scary.   How close was he to never getting back up after that hit?   Put just a little more force into that hit and it might have completely broke his spine, ending his career, or maybe even his life.

Here's to his quick and complete recovery.

f_399

I dont think Baylor QB's need to go through progressions or make too many reads.

Next man up should be fine.

Commentators were saying sometimes when they have a set route/play, players not involved in the play dont move.

MinFrog

TCUdirtbag said:
"Loving" a possible career-ending injury to a 22/23 year old kid makes you a crappy person, just so you know.

Not feeling bad for Art is one thing. What you said is terrible.
fair point. i changed it.