• The KillerFrogs

Baylor vs TCU Rivalry Name

Every game is a rivalry game in the Big 12, that is why its a tough conference.

It is going to be fun to watch.

I dislike TT, BU, SMU fans the most. Would like for TCU to beat those 3 by 50 points each. I hate UT fans as well...elitist bunch even though TCU and UT are equals. I hope UT loses by 51 points. I have a lot of hate to give let's not bottle it up for just one prick of a team.

geefrogs

Every game is a rivalry game in the Big 12, that is why its a tough conference.

It is going to be fun to watch.

I dislike TT, BU, SMU fans the most. Would like for TCU to beat those 3 by 50 points each. I hate UT fans as well...elitist bunch even though TCU and UT are equals. I hope UT loses by 51 points. I have a lot of hate to give let's not bottle it up for just one prick of a team.

Kansas football does nothing for me. Nor Kansas St. or Ok St, or WVU. yet.

Not every game is a rivalry game.

TCUdirtbag

I-35 Clusterf*** game.

Especially this year. TCU-Baylor in Waco, OU-UT at the Fair in Dallas, and Austin City Linits are all the SAME weekend. 35 is going to be a nightmare.

There could be some baseball still going on in Arlington, too (fortunately cowboys are away and there's no race at TMS that weekend)

Kaiser

It needs to be the "100 year War". And since Joan of Ark was a pivotal figure of the first 100 Year War the Trophy should be a statue of her in her suite of armor with an up held sword. Upon that sword the winner can impale either a stuffed frog or a stuffed bear.

I have Googled it and I cannot find two other schools using it.

Just not the Revivalry, please Lord not the Revivalry. I cannot think of a more hokey pokey pathetic name than that. It implies the game has been revived, and nothing can be further from the truth.

If that is the best the powers-that-be can do then leave it un-named.

Saint Joan of Arc

A Baptist v DOC football game with a Catholic Saint trophy. That'll confuse the hell outta people. :biggrin:

frognutz

"On September 15, 1896, "The Crash" took place about 15 miles (24 km) north of Waco. "The Crash at Crush" was a publicity stunt done by the Missouri–Kansas–Texas Railroad company (known as M-K-T or "Katy"), featuring two locomotives intentionally set to a head-on collision. Meant to be a family fun event with food, games and entertainment, the Crash turned deadly when both boilers exploded simultaneously, sending metal flying in the air. Two people died and six were seriously injured."

Gotta be something there....

Deep Purple

Red River Rivalry (OU and Texas)... having a name means that it is a "big deal".

Actually, that one's called the Red River Shootout. And I don't agree that a name alone makes a rivalry, much less makes it a "big deal." Lots of so-called "rivalries" are contrived purely for marketing purposes and are dubbed with catchy, manufactured names to "sell" them. Not a big deal at all. It's just marketing.

An authentic rivalry arises naturally, from a history of grassroots-based competitive attention. If it ever develops a name at all, it's a name that suggests the heritage of the rivalry -- not what some PR firm or marketing department thinks will sell tickets or heighten broadcast interest.

I don't like the name "Rivivalry." It's fine for Baylor, which is closely associated with evangelical Christianity. It doesn't work for TCU, where the church affiliation is much looser and is not evangelical in nature. I say this as one who has been affiliated with the evangelical wing of the Christian church for more than 40 years. Not all Christians are evangelical. It may be Baylor, but it's not TCU.

Kansas football does nothing for me. Nor Kansas St. or Ok St, or WVU. yet.

Not every game is a rivalry game.

I think it would be great to become rivals with Okie State. Have a rivalry with a public school who has a great fan base. Kind of make it like the Red River rivalry with UT and OU. It is always good to connect with a public university that you know will always be included. OSU vs. TCU has potential.

Based on their history in the B12 without RGIII, I just don't see how it can be good for TCU if Baylor becomes to be regarded as our most significant rivalry in the B12. To some extent, all the Texas schools will be rivals and that's fair enough but hopefully the games we play against teams that are likely to be at the top of the conference will become our most important "rivals." I totally don't get the whole SMU as a rival thing at this point but obviously some people do.

Tsfardiim

Actually, that one's called the Red River Shootout. And I don't agree that a name alone makes a rivalry, much less makes it a "big deal." Lots of so-called "rivalries" are contrived purely for marketing purposes and are dubbed with catchy, manufactured names to "sell" them. Not a big deal at all. It's just marketing.

An authentic rivalry arises naturally, from a history of grassroots-based competitive attention. If it ever develops a name at all, it's a name that suggests the heritage of the rivalry -- not what some PR firm or marketing department thinks will sell tickets or heighten broadcast interest.

I don't like the name "Rivivalry." It's fine for Baylor, which is closely associated with evangelical Christianity. It doesn't work for TCU, where the church affiliation is much looser and is not evangelical in nature. I say this as one who has been affiliated with the evangelical wing of the Christian church for more than 40 years. Not all Christians are evangelical. It may be Baylor, but it's not TCU.

I agree that the CC(DOC) doesn't have much to do with "revivals" today (as someone who has been associated with that denomination for over 30 years). However, if you look to the history of the denomination, you see that both the Christian Church and the Disciples of Christ (the two groups that formed the current denomination when they joined together) were created during the Second Great Awakening, when there were a great many Revivals. Barton Stone's "Christians" came about at a revival in Came Ridge, Kentucky, for example.

I'm not arguing for the name "revivalry" (I'm actually in the no name camp), but it is incorrect to say that there is no relationship between the CC(DOC) and the concept of revival.

Frogcrates

Definitely not a fan of any name that is overtly religious (and particularly evangelical) whenever Baylor is the point of reference. I have absolutely no problem honoring TCU's association with the DoC or its values/heritage, but I already get enough questions from people asking whether or not they would be comfortable at TCU or whether it is "too 'in your face' religious." Drawing any line of comparison between TCU and Baylor in this respect just makes me shiver. May as well call it the "No Drinking/No Dancing Judgeathon" - the Footloose Bowl maybe? (that is a joke don't freak out).

I wouldn't have any real problem with anything that played up the Republic of Texas or Chisholm Trail angles, but I'm also in the camp that sees this as being just another intense came against an instate conference opponent.

As far as the TCU-SMU rivalry goes, you've got to remember that so much of that is built upon not just the rivalry between the two schools athletically and academically, but also on the very real rivalry between Fort Worth and dallas. And believe me, there is still a lot of hate there. I personally take satisfaction anytime we are able to highlight how much better Fort Worth is than that pretentious hole to the east. To me that's worth a spot on our schedule every year.

Waco? Baylor? ...meh

Frogenstein

I believe that game is now called the Red River Rivalry. I guess Shootout wasn't PC enough.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Both schools are the only private, small universities in the conference, so we two are rivals for the same recruits, for scoreboard bragging rights, for best facilities, and a lot more. We also share a private school's educational agenda, arguably more closely than does any other institution in the conference.BU and TCU were even, at one time, co-located. We have played them more times than anyone else has, or anyone else has played us. Neither school is so august as to develop an arrogant UT-style attitude towards any of the other fellow conference mates. Any one sub-set of fans may want to beat some other university worse than we all do Baylor. And nearly everyone at all the schools wants to beat UT the most. UT will only wants to beat OU the most. As far as reciprocated, prime rivalries go, aside from OU-UT, there is only the prime rivalry of beating the other in-state school that is naturally created.

Problem is, there are more than two Texas schools in the Big-12, so a naturally occurring, RECIPROCATED rival is problematical as UT is the focus for the other three, and the feeling is not returned. It is what it is. For the reasons stated in the first paragraph, we have more in common with BU than UT or Tech. A natural, RECIPROCATED, prime rivalry may develop for those historical reasons.

Being that we're both church afilliated schools, and being that we Frogs have a hard- earned "revival" of our state and national prestige as a sports program, and have renewed/ revived our conference afilliation with the better schools in Texas, and being that we shared a conference with them for a span of 72 years, our minor distinguishing factors of faith doctrine may not be seen as enough for the national media to avoid a handy handle for the 108th meeting (and beyond) of BU and TCU...henceforth, as confernce rivals. Maybe not THE rivals of either institution, but certainly rivals.

"Revivalry" just may be too tempting a term; it may stick no matter what various individual fans think. When I graduated in 1967 and entered active military service elsewhere, I returned here to the term "metroplex". Nobody asked my permission to use it, or even what I thought of it, but it seems to have stuck. Also, we had no TCU hand sign either, but I got used to one pretty quickly. Things just happen, with or without us.

As Red Green's "The Man's Prayer" says, "I'm a man. I can Change, if I have to...I guess"

If I have to, I can live with "Revivalry"...I guess.

Frogcrates

Look, one thing we've got to consider when talking about rivalries is what really drives the rivalry. Traditionally, you've had the classic academic rivalries (Harvard vs. Yale), the bordering states rivalries (UT vs. OU) and the cross-town rivalries (TCU vs. SMU), but the driving issue for so many rivalries has been recruiting.

For years TCU had a strong rivalry going with Tech (spurred on enthusiastically by Amon Carter) which was essentially billed as the battle of the two "West Texas schools" of the Southwest Conference. So much of this rivalry though, had to do with access to West Texas recruits. In that era of football, the recruiting hotbeds were generally a product of the industry that was prevalent in a particular region - in West Texas, you went after the sons of ranchers and oil field workers, in the Northeast, you went after the kids of steel workers in places like Pittsburgh, others went after the sons of coal miners, etc.

Today is much different (although you still have a lot of the old-school approach going on in some ways). Today, so many of the best players are the children of accountants, engineers and investors who live in wealthy suburbs that have football factory high schools with parents who can afford to put them through football camp every summer (see Southlake Carroll). This different orientation to recruiting changes up the role of rivalries in one of the more important traditional senses. But either way, it doesn't really support a rivalry with Baylor - a team who up until very recently was the epitome of the "don't go to TCU because they're not a BCS school like us" approach to recruiting.

A rivalry with Baylor would be a marriage of convenience at best and would serve little purpose for promoting TCU to recruits or applicants. Better, in my view, to just give them all the attention that UT gave to A&M (i.e. very little) - something that irritated the hell out of A&M. I'd take a lot more pleasure in just irritating BU by constantly reminding them of their irrelevance than to to try to build any kind of a contrived rivalry with them.

asleep003

I wouldn't have any real problem with anything that played up the Republic of Texas or Chisholm Trail angles, but I'm also in the camp that sees this as being just another intense came against an instate conference opponent.

Todally Bear Trophy .... an oscaresk trophy of a hottie in a bikini(or with out) in helmt, carrying a football with a heisman pose.

Cheers!

Rex Andrews

Whoever came up with the "revivalry" was certainly using "revival" in the religious context. I think everyone understands that, and I don't think anyone would confuse it to mean the yearly meeting between the two had been "revived."

I do like the line of thinking and name "Chisolm Gunfight" much better, though. I see no problem tracing the rivalry back to our common roots in Waco. It gives us another reason to blame/thank them for burning down our campus there, and we would've been in Waco when the rivalry started, so I think it makes a lot of sense.

The "Chisolm Firefight"?