• The KillerFrogs

Baylor vs TCU Rivalry Name

cdsfrog

Sorry, but just because we have played that many times and no one has the edge over the other means we have played each other for a long time and it has been a coin flip.

When I was in school Baylor was a game just like Rice. The rivalry was SMU, Tech was always a wild game, and then we were excited about playing Texas.

The only time I can recall the Baylor game getting much attention was the year after that asshat Teaff ran up the score because he thought FA did the same to him the year before in one of FA's rare blow-out victories.

Hopefully that rivalry dies. At this point if we beat them it hurts our SOS and no one considers it a good win. If we lose it ruins our season (see 2011 and 2005 for missed BCS bowl games)

AEAfrog

Also EA sports sure must think BU-TCU is a rivalry to put RG3 in a TCU uni for those web ads. The other examples I've seen used are Eddie George in a Michigan uni and Charles Woodson in a Ohio State uni.

Or it's just a reflection of Baylor's irrelevance until last year. Honestly, who else would care about seeing him in their jersey?

westoverhillbilly

We could play each other every year at the bottom of one of the huge rock quarries around Glen Rose- the masons used to have master degree ceremonies there that would draw in the tens of thousands back in the day...

Sell mixed drinks and beer from a tent to give the revivalry a little convoluted (and disturbing) meaning... If you think Baylor people are alot to handle normally, wait until you see some of them cockeyed drunk...

Dogfrog

You mean 1991-2011?

TCU leads 5-4. Try again.

Clearly I must be cherry picking even though used the exact time frame you suggested.

1981: Baylor Leads 11-8
1961: 21-18 Baylor
1941: TCU leads 27-29
1921: TCU leads 38-32

Didnt include the ties but you get the picture

If I wasn't at a bar I'd do a better job of cherry picking. You obviously really need this to be a rivalry. What's the record since the SWC broke up?

G

Ghost of UPub

cdsfrog,

I agree that I just don't see the value in playing SMU in terms of what it does to benefit the program Some like the tradition and if we keep that game that is the only reason why I see we do it.

In all honesty, Baylor is no more important to me than beating Tech or UT in the conference. I know that Texas has placed an emphasis on winning the "state championship" inside the Big XII and I like that idea for the Frogs.

cdsfrog

cdsfrog,

I agree that I just don't see the value in playing SMU in terms of what it does to benefit the program Some like the tradition and if we keep that game that is the only reason why I see we do it.

In all honesty, Baylor is no more important to me than beating Tech or UT in the conference. I know that Texas has placed an emphasis on winning the "state championship" inside the Big XII and I like that idea for the Frogs.

Problem is Texas will never consider us a rival. OU and only OU.

cdsfrog

If I wasn't at a bar I'd do a better job of cherry picking. You obviously really need this to be a rivalry. What's the record since the SWC broke up?

I don't need it to, it clearly is one. We played zero times for a decade after the SWC break up. 3-1 TCU. Last game before the break up was a loss.

TCUdirtbag

107 games in the last 114 years. It started in 1899. 50-50-7. Tied for the 18th most played rivalry in college football. More meetings than OU-UT, OU-OSU, UT-TT, etc. The only continuing Big 12 rivalry game played more than TCU-Baylor is Kansas-Kansas State who have met 109 times. By far the most played private school rivalry in FBS.

Starting this season, TCU-Baylor is the most-played, ongoing in-state rivalry.
- A&M-Baylor has been played 108 times, we'll tie that this year
- A&M-Texas has been played 118 times, so if the Longhorns hold out on their refusal to play A&M, TCU-Baylor will become the most-played Texas rivalry in history in about 2023.

Should Baylor and TCU remain in the same conference and old rivalries split by conference defections refuse to continue, we can pass quite a few as "most played" in the next few years: Mizzou-Kansas is #2 at 120, Texas-A&M is #3 at 118, Nebraska-Kansas is #4 at 117, Utah-Utah State stopped playing in 2009 and that rivalry is #12 at 109 meetings. We'll climb to tie A&M-Baylor this year with 108 games.

I think it's time to ditch the anti-Baylor attitude and admit that the game really means something to everyone. In the post-SWC days, the SMU rivalry was important to keep an away game somewhat close to home. But with Baylor back on the annual schedule, I see no reason why we shouldn't embrace that as our primary rival. Baylor fans seem willing and ready to do so, and we share a mutual disdain for each other.

I was an SMU-TCU game supporter for a long time. But the more I consider it, the more it makes sense to spend less time hating SMU and more time just looking down my nose at them. Gotta save the hate for Baylor. With the changes in the conference landscape, SMU's move to the Big East hasn't really done much for them except garner a little more money (though it's relative). With the Big 12, we've finally left SMU behind, too far behind to catch up.

With a 9-game conference schedule, and Gary Patterson's fondness for one FCS team every year, if we lock ourselves into playing SMU all the time, we end up with only one open game every year. That doesn't give us many opportunities to play different teams from different conferences. As far ahead as you have to plan for OOC games, it's hard to know what impact a team will have on your SOS, but you can be sure that SMU will be a drag with their games against Memphis, USF, UCF, Temple, etc. I'd rather see us play one SEC team OOC every year and one PAC/B1G team every year.

cdsfrog

107 games in the last 114 years. It started in 1899. 50-50-7. Tied for the 18th most played rivalry in college football. More meetings than OU-UT, OU-OSU, UT-TT, etc. The only continuing Big 12 rivalry game played more than TCU-Baylor is Kansas-Kansas State who have met 109 times. By far the most played private school rivalry in FBS.

Starting this season, TCU-Baylor is the most-played, ongoing in-state rivalry.
- A&M-Baylor has been played 108 times, we'll tie that this year
- A&M-Texas has been played 118 times, so if the Longhorns hold out on their refusal to play A&M, TCU-Baylor will become the most-played Texas rivalry in history in about 2023.

Should Baylor and TCU remain in the same conference and old rivalries split by conference defections refuse to continue, we can pass quite a few as "most played" in the next few years: Mizzou-Kansas is #2 at 120, Texas-A&M is #3 at 118, Nebraska-Kansas is #4 at 117, Utah-Utah State stopped playing in 2009 and that rivalry is #12 at 109 meetings. We'll climb to tie A&M-Baylor this year with 108 games.

I think it's time to ditch the anti-Baylor attitude and admit that the game really means something to everyone. In the post-SWC days, the SMU rivalry was important to keep an away game somewhat close to home. But with Baylor back on the annual schedule, I see no reason why we shouldn't embrace that as our primary rival. Baylor fans seem willing and ready to do so, and we share a mutual disdain for each other.

I was an SMU-TCU game supporter for a long time. But the more I consider it, the more it makes sense to spend less time hating SMU and more time just looking down my nose at them. Gotta save the hate for Baylor.

Only team I hate losing more to than Baylor is SMU. That isn't because of the significance it's because of the embarrassment. Each time we have lost in the past decade it was to a pathetic team with horrible officiating in a game where TCU choked favored by more than 10 points. At least the Baylor team we lost to beat OU/Texas/Tech

G

Ghost of UPub

It isn't an anti-Baylor sentiment, it is that they are just another team in Texas to me and while Texas won't consider us their equal and never a rival it doesn't matter to me.

I still stand by one team goal should be to sweep the state each and every year. Do that and the kids will come, beating Baylor won't carry that weight, and I want our sites set higher.

Besides, who says you have to have a primary rival to make the games enjoyable? Anyone not enjoy the past four-five years in the MWC?

cdsfrog

Me. When your opponents bring 100 people on average it makes the atmosphere crappier

Do love playing Air Force and liked playing Utah.

G

Ghost of UPub

I agree atmosphere is important and part of that comes from playing teams that have fan bases that care and support their teams.

As I said that is where being in the Big XII helps and why I don't think there really is a need to force a rivarly. If one develops with Baylor great, but if it happens it will happen.

G

Ghost of UPub

No doubt cdsfrog.

I think we are going to surprise a few people in a few months.

G

Ghost of UPub

My only problem with the religous overtone is that it isn't unique to the game. Heck, ACU and McMurry start the year off in the battle of Abilene.

I thought TCU was trying to downplay the religion angle in referring to their athletic teams and The Revivalry reeks of religious overtones. Why not just go ahead and call it the Vacation Bible School Smack-down!

As a Baylor Alum and a Tarrant County Fan of TCU I agree the name Revivalry bites a big one. I would rather it be un-named than have that forced upon us.

VictoryLap

I am more pumped to play Baylor than every other team this next year besides OU, Texas, and WV. I still think they are a rivalry though. Especially if SMU is.

Sorry, but just because we have played that many times and no one has the edge over the other means we have played each other for a long time and it has been a coin flip.

When I was in school Baylor was a game just like Rice. The rivalry was SMU, Tech was always a wild game, and then we were excited about playing Texas.

The only time I can recall the Baylor game getting much attention was the year after that asshat Teaff ran up the score because he thought FA did the same to him the year before in one of FA's rare blow-out victories.

Your right Teaff did not like F A Dry. He disliked him so much he hired him to be his Assistant Head Coach after TCU fired him.

G

Ghost of UPub

Did I say he disliked Dry? From what I can see you so carefully copied is that Teaff who was ran up the score (56-21 in Waco during Jim Wacker's first year) because he felt that TCU had run the score the year before (38-14). Teaff made those comments after the game in 1982 and did nothing to pull off in 1983.

You can disagree or read something else into what I wrote again if you wish, but Teaff was an asshat and his hiring of FA Dry actually is fitting for the crap St. Grant used to do back in the day.