• The KillerFrogs

Baseball postseason thread

Pharm Frog

Yeah, KP was amazed they didn't bring the closer in in the 7th then he was opposed to bringing the closer in in the 8th (before Florida scored all their runs in the 8th). Burke contended that you bring in your closer in a 2 run game with 6 outs to get after your young guys nearly blew the lead in the 7th. KP thought they got out of the inning so no need to burn the closer, which I thought was bizarre given how vehemently he derided Sulli for not using him in the 7th.

It was a case of one broadcaster focusing on winning a tournament and another on winning a game. My objection is the frequent references to Byrne having a rubber arm. I suppose you do until you don’t. Pretty sure he has a human arm.

Purp

It was a case of one broadcaster focusing on winning a tournament and another on winning a game. My objection is the frequent references to Byrne having a rubber arm. I suppose you do until you don’t. Pretty sure he has a human arm.
I got that. I just had an issue with KP spending the 7th making the case that they should bring in the closer to win the game and then as soon as they're out of trouble he changes his mind, as if Tech couldn't put up 3 more in the 8th to take the lead. I'd get it if he was making that case after Florida extended the lead back to 5, but not before they ever got a guy on base.

Opintel

Moderators
Silence that woo person. I suggest the traditional lip removal...historically correct for stealing a hazing sound. You can look it up.

Pharm Frog

I got that. I just had an issue with KP spending the 7th making the case that they should bring in the closer to win the game and then as soon as they're out of trouble he changes his mind, as if Tech couldn't put up 3 more in the 8th to take the lead. I'd get it if he was making that case after Florida extended the lead back to 5, but not before they ever got a guy on base.

That's not the way I interpreted his argument. I heard his position is that it was ludicrous to not have him even in the bullpen ready to get hot for the potentially most important situation of the game IF you were open to the idea of using him at all. I too could not understand why you wouldn't even have him ready with the bases were loaded with one out and then get him ready to start the next inning when you had put some cushion runs up. But I thought the second dumbest thing said in the whole exchange was that the closer should come in because it was a save situation. Florida had to win four games in five days. I wonder if Mr Burke was implying that he should pitch in all four in save situations? The stupidest thing said (and it was said repeatedly) was that he had a rubber arm. I thought that was irresponsible and especially after they documented how few times he has come in the next day after a certain number of pitches.

Purp

That's not the way I interpreted his argument. I heard his position is that it was ludicrous to not have him even in the bullpen ready to get hot for the potentially most important situation of the game IF you were open to the idea of using him at all. I too could not understand why you wouldn't even have him ready with the bases were loaded with one out and then get him ready to start the next inning when you had put some cushion runs up. But I thought the second dumbest thing said in the whole exchange was that the closer should come in because it was a save situation. Florida had to win four games in five days. I wonder if Mr Burke was implying that he should pitch in all four in save situations? The stupidest thing said (and it was said repeatedly) was that he had a rubber arm. I thought that was irresponsible and especially after they documented how few times he has come in the next day after a certain number of pitches.
Yeah. That was also ridiculous. But I am pretty sure KP implied several times in the 7th that Florida needed to jettison the freshmen and bring in the best closer in school history to preserve the lead. Maybe I missed something.