• The KillerFrogs

Baseball Attendance

steelfrog

Tier 1
Baseball attendance really took off this year--last year the average was 2100 per game, or some such. This year, over 3100. We had over 90,000 attendance this year, with the 3 games this past weekend (I don't know if we count the attendance from the regional games not involving TCU).

Top 15 or so in total attendance prolly. Not Dang Bad!

Does this make baseball a "revenue sport" for TCU--what with only 9.9 schollies allocated?

desmith03

Everyone go buy your 2010 MWC Baseball Champions shirts from the bookstore to make it more of a revenue-producing sport! :tongue:

Frogenstein

Yes, baseball at TCU is a revenue sport. Beyond just the attendance this season the sold out patios brought in alot of money.

R

RJ Fletcher

I saw on another, not to be named TCU blog that 17 of the top 25-attended games in TCU baseball history were in 2010.

Am I allowed to talk about the fact that I'm not allowed to talk about that?

fdub

QUOTE(RJ Fletcher @ Jun 8 2010, 01:44 PM) [snapback]571597[/snapback]
Am I allowed to talk about the fact that I'm not allowed to talk about that?

:tongue:

NewFrogFan

QUOTE(SoonerFrogs @ Jun 8 2010, 06:46 PM) [snapback]571601[/snapback]
in history? thats not hard to believe as the old diamond sat around 47 people.

I heard they sent some of those old bleachers "up there" so ol Whitewolf would have his seat back to watch football practice!

Big Frog II

QUOTE(NewFrogFan @ Jun 8 2010, 02:28 PM) [snapback]571759[/snapback]
I heard they sent some of those old bleachers "up there" so ol Whitewolf would have his seat back to watch football practice!

I mentioned to a friend this weekend that the only regret of all of our success is not having Whitewolf around to enjoy it. I still can not believe he passed away one day before the first game in the stadium. I would have loved hearing him heckle the ump and opposing players in the new stadium.

82Frog

I can remember one afternoon at the old stadium against the Longhorns, Whitewolf was razzing a UT batter. The TCU pitcher had two strikes on the UT batter. As the next pitch is on its way, Whitewolf yells "Strike Three!" . . .and the Texas batter put it way, way over the left field fence and into the parking lot. Everybody had a pretty good laugh.

FROGDADDY

QUOTE(SoonerFrogs @ Jun 8 2010, 01:46 PM) [snapback]571601[/snapback]
in history? thats not hard to believe as the old diamond sat around 47 people.

We played DBU one day when it was like 25 degrees. The next day in the paper it actually listed attendance as 11. Freaking 11. Funny in hindsight.

general125

I would have loved that guy!

QUOTE(82Frog @ Jun 8 2010, 03:56 PM) [snapback]571787[/snapback]
I can remember one afternoon at the old stadium against the Longhorns, Whitewolf was razzing a UT batter. The TCU pitcher had two strikes on the UT batter. As the next pitch is on its way, Whitewolf yells "Strike Three!" . . .and the Texas batter put it way, way over the left field fence and into the parking lot. Everybody had a pretty good laugh.

R

RJ Fletcher

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 8 2010, 04:12 PM) [snapback]571808[/snapback]
We played DBU one day when it was like 25 degrees. The next day in the paper it actually listed attendance as 11. Freaking 11. Funny in hindsight.

Reminds me of the story a couple of years ago when SMU would swipe their students' IDs as they entered the football games to track who and how many students were attending them. How many students at SMU (technically a Division 1 school, mind you) attended all six home games?

Seven.

TCU2002

QUOTE(FROGDADDY @ Jun 8 2010, 05:12 PM) [snapback]571808[/snapback]

Does anyone have some old pictures of the TCU Diamond they can upload? I attended quite a few games there but don't think I ever took any pictures. It wasn't exactly a photogenic stadium and the crowds were not impressive.

I bet some of the younger folks on the forum would be astonished to see what it was like though, if all they have ever known is Lupton.

Can't find any images on the net, though I did uncover that the official capacity of the Diamond was 1,500. Guess they must be counting the room to sit on the hill down the right field line.