• The KillerFrogs

Baldwin to transfer to TCU

Realtorfrog

Anybody find it weird that nobody wants to transfer in to UT? I know they have Mehlinger but after that they are pretty lacking. Seems like they would have been a destination for guys like this.
It’s tx and they are going to have a long year this year...

Billy Clyde

Finally got a chance to watch Baldwin’s Sr season highlights..He will easily be the most polished passer we have. Feet and release are much better then the others. I wouldn’t by any stretch call him a dual threat but he has escape ability and pretty decent top end speed. It’s important to remember that he’s never been asked to run any RPO and that probably contributes to his reputation as being a pocket guy...

What I hear you saying is that Sonny will have to *develop* his ability to throw off his back foot.

netty2424

Would not shock me at all provided he doesn't win the job. IMO, I don't think he feels he's competing against Delton. If Baldwin or Max were to win the job over him I'd expect him to transfer. He's clearly too hungry and worked WAY too hard to get back to playing for him to accept a back-up role through graduation. His injury may have given him even more motivation than he possessed in high school and I think he was one of the more motivated kids we've seen prior to his injury.

Honestly, I want him starting for us, but if he isn't starting for us it'll be because we have a better QB on the roster for the next few years and I'll be happy about that. I'll also want JR to transfer somewhere else, though, so that I can root for him to reach his potential there. He's been too good of a kid for me to selfishly want to keep him here as a back-up. If it comes down to it, go prove us wrong JR and it'll make me happy. Hopefully you prove us right and start for the next 3 years.
Well stated.

TCU is getting a good one. Baldwin is either the first or second most physically gifted QB to come from Lake Travis. If not Baldwin, it would be Garrett Gilbert. Baker Mayfield would be ranked third or fourth with the other top spot going to Charlie Brewer. I might bump Brewer for Card if Hudson has an amazing senior season.

There are a lot of stories about Baldwin only starting one year for LT and it makes it seem like Baldwin was a late bloomer or inexperienced, that could not be further from the truth. Baldwin was noticed by the high school coaches in 4th grade and led his 5th and 6th grade teams to the CenTex Championship games. He led his 7th and 8th grade teams to District titles. He led his 9th grade "B" team (he had off-season elbow surgery) to district title. And then led the JV "A" team to the district title and broke the all-time scoring mark for the JV team. He quarterbacked his 7s team to three 7on7 State Championships (8th grade, JV, and Varsity). His 7s team also finished in the semis and quarters the other two years. His 7s team lost 6 games TOTAL over 6 years and almost won every tournament they entered.

This kid has always been the "guy." When he was a Jr, he backed up incumbent QB Charlie Brewer. The Brewers are QB royalty at LT and after Charlie led LT to the championship game the year before, there was no replacing Charlie even if everyone knew Baldwin was more gifted. When college scouts came to watch Charlier during the spring of his Junior season, most left talking about Baldwin and how much stronger his arm was. Charlie went on to lead LT to a state championship but not without some help from Baldwin in the second game of the season against Cibolo Steele. Brewer was hurt at the end of the 4th Quarter with LT down. Baldwin came in, rallied LT to tie it. It went in to OT, where Baldwin led LT to victory in Double OT. It was a sign of things to come.

Baldwin led LT to the State Championship game in his senior season. He threw for almost 4000 yards, 44 TDs against only 6 INTs and 70% completion. I dont think Baldwin has ever thrown more than 8 INTs in a season over his entire career. If not for his knee injury, Baldwin carves up Allen the same way he did Katy. His strong arm and accuracy neutralized Katy's aggressive D giving the receivers time to catch the ball and make a move. Baldwin takes care of the ball and has a way of seeing the play before it happens. He is a good one no doubt.

I think TCU was one of his favorites during the recruiting process in High School but TCU went with Rogers instead. It is exciting to see him get another shot at one of his favorites. I don't know what will happen and who will earn the job. But I don't think Baldwin would be at TCU if he was not given a fair shot at competing for the starting job. If Baldwin wins the job, I expect him to have similar success at TCU as Baker and Brewer have had at other Big 12 schools. It's going to be fun to watch!

Hell Sent Frog

TCU is getting a good one. Baldwin is either the first or second most physically gifted QB to come from Lake Travis. If not Baldwin, it would be Garrett Gilbert. Baker Mayfield would be ranked third or fourth with the other top spot going to Charlie Brewer. I might bump Brewer for Card if Hudson has an amazing senior season.

There are a lot of stories about Baldwin only starting one year for LT and it makes it seem like Baldwin was a late bloomer or inexperienced, that could not be further from the truth. Baldwin was noticed by the high school coaches in 4th grade and led his 5th and 6th grade teams to the CenTex Championship games. He led his 7th and 8th grade teams to District titles. He led his 9th grade "B" team (he had off-season elbow surgery) to district title. And then led the JV "A" team to the district title and broke the all-time scoring mark for the JV team. He quarterbacked his 7s team to three 7on7 State Championships (8th grade, JV, and Varsity). His 7s team also finished in the semis and quarters the other two years. His 7s team lost 6 games TOTAL over 6 years and almost won every tournament they entered.

This kid has always been the "guy." When he was a Jr, he backed up incumbent QB Charlie Brewer. The Brewers are QB royalty at LT and after Charlie led LT to the championship game the year before, there was no replacing Charlie even if everyone knew Baldwin was more gifted. When college scouts came to watch Charlier during the spring of his Junior season, most left talking about Baldwin and how much stronger his arm was. Charlie went on to lead LT to a state championship but not without some help from Baldwin in the second game of the season against Cibolo Steele. Brewer was hurt at the end of the 4th Quarter with LT down. Baldwin came in, rallied LT to tie it. It went in to OT, where Baldwin led LT to victory in Double OT. It was a sign of things to come.

Baldwin led LT to the State Championship game in his senior season. He threw for almost 4000 yards, 44 TDs against only 6 INTs and 70% completion. I dont think Baldwin has ever thrown more than 8 INTs in a season over his entire career. If not for his knee injury, Balwin carves up Allen the same way he did Katy. His strong arm and accuracy neutralized Katy's aggressive D giving the receivers time to catch the ball and make a move. Baldwin takes care of the ball and has a way of seeing the play before it happens. He is a good one no doubt.

I think TCU was one of his favorites during the recruiting process in High School but TCU went with Rogers instead. It is exciting to see him get another shot at one of his favorites. I don't know what will happen and who will earn the job. But I don't think Baldwin would be at TCU if he was not given a fair shot at competing for the starting job. If Baldwin wins the job, I expect him to have similar success at TCU as Baker and Brewer have had at other Big 12 schools. It's going to be fun to watch!

Thank you for sharing all that information about yourself Matthew.
I can speak for the entire Horned Frog Nation by saying we all look forward to one day you being the starting quarterback at TCU and leading the Frogs to a Big 12 and perhaps a National Championship.

Last edited:

Double V

Baldwin led LT to the State Championship game in his senior season. He threw for almost 4000 yards, 44 TDs against only 6 INTs and 70% completion. I dont think Baldwin has ever thrown more than 8 INTs in a season over his entire career. If not for his knee injury, Baldwin carves up Allen the same way he did Katy. His strong arm and accuracy neutralized Katy's aggressive D giving the receivers time to catch the ball and make a move. Baldwin takes care of the ball and has a way of seeing the play before it happens. He is a good one no doubt.

Welcome to the board mr. Baldwin. We are excited that your son chose to come back to the great state of Texas in quarterback the best college team in the state!

Froggish

Well damn...Might as well give him the Heisman now..

Seriously, we are glad to have him..