• The KillerFrogs

B12 “little 8” must act now, not wait … Here’s a plan …

WinstonFrog

What we know:

— UT/ OU are gone after ‘24-25.

— They are intent on making it super awkward by staying until the GOR is up.

— They think they are going to keep running the conference in the interim.

— They have zero qualms about leaving the so-called “little 8” in limbo until the end, so that they can’t make plans for their own futures — unless they leave for another conference. (ESPN is assisting in this effort.)

— At this point, it has to be considered unlikely that any of the remaining 8 are going to be invited to the PAC, B1G or ACC anytime immediately, if ever.

Don’t let UT/OU run your lives for four years, not determine your future!

— You have 80% of the votes.

— Through ‘24-25, you have a guaranteed media rights deal that cannot be reduced.

— You might even be able to get more, at least in the interim, by this plan.

— If UT/OU don’t like it, tough [ Finebaum ]. You have the votes, you have an uncertain future that you need to work on now! . . . If UT/OU don’t like it, they can pay their penalties and hit the road. Otherwise, UT/OU are just passengers now.

— Start building your future by selecting the programs you are going to need to protect your future as a top 5 conference. Stop this “AAC is going to plunder the Big 12” talk. You are in a position of power because of the four years of GOR. You pick from the AAC programs you can accept; and from the MWC.

Basic math involved

Roughly $370M annually . . .

— 10 teams — $37M per
— 16 teams — $23M per

— That’s a hit, for sure. But, if you don’t act, you’re going to take a far worse hit in ‘25. (BTW, OU/UT also take the same cut and can’t do much about it.)

— (Remember too, the 8 we’re willing to cut down to 7/8 shares to give UT/OU a share and a half each. That would cut them to under $30M each. So look at your possible reduction from
that point, not from 37.)

— Even with those reduced numbers, you are overwhelmingly attractive to every non-P5. (AAC new deal will get them to $10M per, from $7M; MWC makes less than that.)

BUT … nobody ever enters to full shares. They get prorated.

So, if we prorate six new members at $16/$18M/$20M over the final three years, there are pools of $56in ‘22-23, $30M in ‘23-24 and $18M in ‘24-25 to split amongst the existing 8.

— You get three full seasons to build your new product and develop a new national identity. You’ll be P5 as long as UT/OU are there; if they leave, you’ve proven that not only are you not going away but that you are a de facto P5 (if not called as such).

So . . . Expand to 16 for ‘22. When UT/OU leave in ‘25, you still have 14 quality programs with no “riff-raff”. If you decide then you want to get back to 16, or you want to sit at 14 — which you own the rights to “Big 14” — so be it. Either way, you’ve ensured your survival.

So, who you invite?

This is where it ALWAYS gets divisive. Understanding that academics and cultures have to be considered, I’m focusing closer on programs that have experienced extreme commitment to building football and having quality facilities, markets and other sports. I’m not looking to create a snooty culture, but we don’t want a JUCO culture either. We not going to be able to build an NFL-size market, but we don’t places where there is no market. . . . We have to focus on building the strongest business model we can — because, college sports is all about business right now.

— Do NOT just expand east.
— Do NOT just expand west.
— Expand BOTH to the East and West!

— By 8-2 votes (UT/OU will vote no, but who gives a [ Finebaum ] anymore?) invite:

— Cincinnati (ISU/WV get partner)
— Central Florida (new market)
— Memphis (FedEx, other benefits)
— USF or Temple; or Navy (FB-only)
— 2 from “West” — (options include UH, AFA Fb—only, BYU fb-only, BSU fb-only). (I consider San Diego State and Colorado State longer shots that don’t bring as much to the table.)

— I really like the idea of getting my AFA and Navy as football-onlies. That’s national on both sides.

— Alliances with UH, and more with BYU, might make some wrinkle noses. But in our present time and future, we do what we have to do. … Boise academics, that damned blue turf and their rep for terrible academics and a small media market are drawbacks. But, they do have a brand, and they do travel. I would make them a last-gasp choice, but I’m not a university president or athletic director. I know there are worse choices that could be made to any of these schools.

— Don’t worry about alignments and scheduling so much for now. Just get everybody in the house and go to work. Go pods. Go two divisions. Figure out an interim schedule. Go 7 divisional games, two crossovers, and everybody still has 3 non- conference.

— Kansas schools would likely be moved to the East. Not an issue! . . . You could really creative too, like pods where OU and UT are stuck together and only one could get to the championship game. … It’s YOUR conference! RUN IT!!!!

— When UT/OU leave, if you want to go back to 16, there are two of three in the East that you didn’t bring in already (USF/Temple/Navy*) along with a case to be made for UAB; and in the west you’d have options from what you didn’t pick up already.

To quote from my favorite movie, Clerks II . . . “. . . That’s what I would do! That’s what WE should do!”

Eight

What we know:

— They have zero qualms about leaving the so-called “little 8” in limbo until the end, so that they can’t make plans for their own futures — unless they leave for another conference. (ESPN is assisting in this effort.)

— At this point, it has to be considered unlikely that any of the remaining 8 are going to be invited to the PAC, B1G or ACC anytime immediately, if ever.

— Through ‘24-25, you have a guaranteed media rights deal that cannot be reduced.

— If UT/OU don’t like it, tough [ #2020 ]. You have the votes, you have an uncertain future that you need to work on now! . . . If UT/OU don’t like it, they can pay their penalties and hit the road. Otherwise, UT/OU are just passengers now.

— Start building your future by selecting the programs you are going to need to protect your future as a top 5 conference. Stop this “AAC is going to plunder the Big 12” talk. You are in a position of power because of the four years of GOR. You pick from the AAC programs you can accept; and from the MWC.

Basic math involved

— 10 teams — $37M per
— 16 teams — $23M per

— That’s a hit, for sure. But, if you don’t act, you’re going to take a far worse hit in ‘25. (BTW, OU/UT also take the same cut and can’t do much about it.)

— (Remember too, the 8 we’re willing to cut down to 7/8 shares to give UT/OU a share and a half each. That would cut them to under $30M each. So look at your possible reduction from

— Even with those reduced numbers, you are overwhelmingly attractive to every non-P5. (AAC new deal will get them to $10M per, from $7M; MWC makes less than that.)

So, if we prorate six new members at $16/$18M/$20M over the final three years, there are pools of $56in ‘22-23, $30M in ‘23-24 and $18M in ‘24-25 to split amongst the existing 8.

— You get three full seasons to build your new product and develop a new national identity. You’ll be P5 as long as UT/OU are there; if they leave, you’ve proven that not only are you not going away but that you are a de facto P5 (if not called as such).

So . . . Expand to 16 for ‘22. When UT/OU leave in ‘25, you still have 14 quality programs with no “riff-raff”. If you decide then you want to get back to 16, or you want to sit at 14 — which you own the rights to “Big 14” — so be it. Either way, you’ve ensured your survival.

So, who you invite?

This is where it ALWAYS gets divisive. Understanding that academics and cultures have to be considered, I’m focusing closer on programs that have experienced extreme commitment to building football and having quality facilities, markets and other sports. I’m not looking to create a snooty culture, but we don’t want a JUCO culture either. We not going to be able to build an NFL-size market, but we don’t places where there is no market. . . . We have to focus on building the strongest business model we can — because, college sports is all about business right now.

— By 8-2 votes (UT/OU will vote no, but who gives a [ #2020 ] anymore?) invite:

— 2 from “West” — (options include UH, AFA Fb—only, BYU fb-only, BSU fb-only). (I consider San Diego State and Colorado State longer shots that don’t bring as much to the table.)

— I really like the idea of getting my AFA and Navy as football-onlies. That’s national on both sides.

— Alliances with UH, and more with BYU, might make some wrinkle noses. But in our present time and future, we do what we have to do. … Boise academics, that damned blue turf and their rep for terrible academics and a small media market are drawbacks. But, they do have a brand, and they do travel. I would make them a last-gasp choice, but I’m not a university president or athletic director. I know there are worse choices that could be made to any of these schools.

— Don’t worry about alignments and scheduling so much for now. Just get everybody in the house and go to work. Go pods. Go two divisions. Figure out an interim schedule. Go 7 divisional games, two crossovers, and everybody still has 3 non- conference.

— Kansas schools would likely be moved to the East. Not an issue! . . . You could really creative too, like pods where OU and UT are stuck together and only one could get to the championship game. … It’s YOUR conference! RUN IT!!!!

— When UT/OU leave, if you want to go back to 16, there are two of three in the East that you didn’t bring in already (USF/Temple/Navy*) along with a case to be made for UAB; and in the west you’d have options from what you didn’t pick up already.

To quote from my favorite movie, Clerks II . . . “. . . That’s what I would do! That’s what WE should do!”

no

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
OUT are gone after this season. That was why ESPN was trying to entice a Rump BIGXII breakup: to allow themselves to skip out on paying the $1.08 billion they still owe on their contract, and to get their friends out of having to pay their GOR reclamation fees. Their scheme didn't work, and they may wind up getting sued over it.

The BIGXII will stand pat, because we have a contract that pays us as long as we perform our end. No need to do anything. If, at the end of that contractural period, the PAC and Rump BIGXII merge, all well and good.

Eight

Could you summarize?

no-entry-sign-emoji-by-google.png

HG73

I have said all along to take the two available service academies, Army and AF to get to the required 10. Football only. Add Navy if they want to come. As compared to the AAC teams they offer better academics, better attendance and are competitive on the field. TV viewership would be better in a better conference and they have a ton of "alumni." And we wouldn't be adding teams that would compete with us for a spot in any 64 team scenario.

Go back to 8 conference games. CCG with the two best.

Froglaw

Army, navy, AF do have a national audience. Maybe add a Cindy,, memphis, or Houston to make 12 or just stay at 10

Little 8 have to stick together.

Rabidfrog

What we know:

— If UT/OU don’t like it, tough [ #2020 ]. You have the votes, you have an uncertain future that you need to work on now! . . . If UT/OU don’t like it, they can pay their penalties and hit the road. Otherwise, UT/OU are just passengers now.

Basic math involved

— 10 teams — $37M per
— 16 teams — $23M per

So, who you invite?

— By 8-2 votes (UT/OU will vote no, but who gives a [ #2020 ] anymore?) invite:

thanks for all your effort and thought.

4 Oaks Frog

Is Wilson Frog Wyoming Frog?
Definitely Wyoming Frog! Rambles in the same manner, says in a thousand words what could be said twenty, never gets to the point, uses strange form, actively tweaking and fiercely retaliates when someone calls him out.
Waiting…
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and fornicate baylor!!

Eight

Definitely Wyoming Frog! Rambles in the same manner, says in a thousand words what could be said twenty, never gets to the point, uses strange form, actively tweaking and fiercely retaliates when someone calls him out.
Waiting…
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!

maybe, thought the post was far, far more coherent and structured than the normal wyoming post and i think wyoming is more like a client of jay and silent bob than someone who quotes a movie featuring jay and silent bob

bp4tcu

What we know:

Yeah, no.

If you believe ANYTHING ut says, that's on you. They want to be in the SEC next year and anything else they say is BS. They're working hard to blow the Big 12 up so they don't have to pay that $70 mill each or whatever it is. They want out now.

They are not going to keep running this conference in the interim because they'll either be gone, or no one will give two Fs what they say.

And, there's a lot going on that OU and UT are actively lobbying for, and working to find a safe landing spot of OSU and Tech to ensure this happens that much quicker.

The fact that we, TCU fans, are coming up with lists for AAC and MWC school we can bring in is a sad state of affairs. Meanwhile there's a lot of smoke to Tech and OSU to the Pac, and possibly even Tech to the ACC. I'm of the belief based on what I hear, us, along with Baylor re pretty much screwed.

Paul in uhh

I have said all along to take the two available service academies, Army and AF to get to the required 10. Football only. Add Navy if they want to come. As compared to the AAC teams they offer better academics, better attendance and are competitive on the field. TV viewership would be better in a better conference and they have a ton of "alumni." And we wouldn't be adding teams that would compete with us for a spot in any 64 team scenario.

Go back to 8 conference games. CCG with the two best.
Add all three and make the commander in chief game a conference game..

4 Oaks Frog

maybe, thought the post was far, far more coherent and structured than the normal wyoming post and i think wyoming is more like a client of jay and silent bob than someone who quotes a movie featuring jay and silent bob
HAHA! I’ll give you that. But, to think that there is Wyoming Frog, and another poster similar enough to Wyoming Frog to be confused with Wyoming Frog, is distressing…
Sorry! I’m beginning to sound like Wyoming. Frog.
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!

Bizarro Frog

The scenario few are talking about. Frogs win BIG 12 in 2021 and make playoff or Frogs with BIG 12 after OUT leaves in 2022 and makes the playoffs greatly increasing our brand. If OUT are gone it’s a 3 horse race between OK St, Iowa St and TCU for title if we have good QB play. My money is on Coach P to win an OU less conference.