• The KillerFrogs

Awfully quiet on the DC front.

FrogCoach84

Waiting on one coach to give you a firm answer while you already have a guy you like that would come on board right now.

Maybe Schumann is Napier and Gillespie is Dykes…..and Finkle is Einhorn.

I’d take either of those two and it feels like it’s one of those two that’s gonna end up being the guy.

geezer

Colonel, USAF (Retired)

Not me. Yes, I live in Tulsa, but my interactions with sports while I've been here are limited to attending one Tulsa football game; one ORU basketball game; and the Big 12 baseball tournament.

There are no university sports people of any sort living in my neighborhood.

My only connection of that sort is a good friend who played linebacker at TX Tech back in the '60s.

Think it may have been @Froggish.

cc: @Long Time Lurker

Wexahu

Not me. Yes, I live in Tulsa, but my interactions with sports while I've been here are limited to attending one Tulsa football game; one ORU basketball game; and the Big 12 baseball tournament.

There are no university sports people of any sort living in my neighborhood.

My only connection of that sort is a good friend who played linebacker at TX Tech back in the '60s.

Think it may have been @Froggish.
I think it was, and I thought he maybe had some pretty informed opinions on Gillespie.

Brog

It's pretty standard for these coaching moves involving bowl/playoff teams to be formally announced as soon as the regular season is over. If they're bringing in someone from Georgia's staff then it will almost certainly be made official Sunday or Monday. They're not going to wait until mid-January.
We'll sure see, won't we.

CryptoMiner

Glenn Schumann was named Co-Defensive Coordinator & Inside Linebackers coach at Georgia in February of 2019 after three seasons in charge of the Bulldogs’ inside linebackers. He came to UGA after eight seasons at the University of Alabama, his last two serving as the Director of Player Development and Associate Director of Player Personnel.

During Schumann’s tenure in Athens, Georgia has won 11 or more games in three straight seasons for the first time in program history. The Bulldogs have also won three straight SEC Eastern Division titles (2017-19), earned four consecutive New Year’s Six Bowl berths and played for the 2018 CFP national championship.

In the past two seasons, Georgia’s defense led the nation in rushing defense in both 2019 (74.6 ypg) and 2020 (72.3 ypg), in scoring defense in 2019 (12.6 ppg), and in rushing TDs allowed (2, UGA record) in 2019. The Bulldogs ranked 2nd and 3rd, respectively, in total defense nationally in the 2020 and 2019 seasons.

Schumann has coached Roquan Smith — 2017 Butkus Award winner, consensus All-American, SEC Defensive Player of the Year, and Chicago Bears first round draft pick; 2019 second team All-SEC and 2020 Butkus Award finalist LB Monty Rice, 2019 Butkus Award semifinalist Tae Crowder, and 2020 Butkus Award semifinalist Nakobe Dean.

Schumann spent eight years with the Crimson Tide, first as an undergraduate analyst (2008-Dec. 2011) and then as a graduate assistant (Dec. 2011-Feb. 2014). In February, 2014, he was named Director of Player Development and Associate Director of Player Personnel serving in those positions until December, 2015. During his tenure at Alabama, the Crimson Tide won three BCS National Championships, one College Football Playoff national title, three Southeastern Conference crowns, six SEC western division titles, and was ranked in the nation’s final top ten rankings eight years in a row. In seven of those eight years the Alabama defense finished no lower than fifth nationally in total defense, and in the top ten in scoring defense all eight years. The 2011 defense led the nation in all five major categories including total defense (183.6 ypg), scoring defense (8.2 ppg), rushing defense (72.2 ypg), passing defense (111.5 ypg) and pass efficiency defense (83.69 rating).

In his role with player development at Alabama, Schumann’s responsibilities included a number of off-the-field activities for Alabama’s football student-athletes. He served as an important resource in balancing their demands of academics, athletics and community outreach. He was also involved in the organization of all recruiting efforts.

Schumann comes from a long line of coaches. His father Eric, after playing safety for Alabama in the mid-70s, spent 20 years in college football as a defensive coordinator. Among his coaching stops were UAB, Tulane, SMU, East Tennessee State, Valdosta State, Livingston, New Mexico and Troy. Schumann’s grandfather Jack Haskin was a coach on the first football team at Florida State University and is a member of the FSU Hall of Fame. In addition, Schumann’s mother, Dr. Sherry Schumann, is a former collegiate coach and Athletic Director.

Born in Valdosta, Ga., Schumann graduated from McKinney Boyd High School in McKinney, Texas, where he lettered in both football and basketball. He earned his bachelor of arts degree from Alabama in December, 2011, and a masters in sports management from UA in December, 2013. He and his wife Lauren have a son, Bryson Eric Schumann, born in September of 2019, and a daughter, Whitley Maryann Schumann, born in May of 2021.

Schumann Thumbnail
Birthdate:
March 29, 1990
Birthplace: Valdosta, Ga.
Family: Wife, Lauren; Son, Bryson Eric; Daughter, Whitley Maryann
High School: McKinney Boyd (Tex.) High School
College: Alabama ‘’11 (B.A.),
Alabama ’13 (M.S., Sport Management)
Coaching Experience
2008-11.......................... Alabama (undergraduate analyst)
2011-14................................ Alabama (graduate assistant)
2014-15..............Alabama (director of player development/
................................ associate director of player personnel)
2016-18.............................................. Georgia (Inside LBs)
2019-Present....Georgia (Co-Defensive Coord./Inside LBs)

JugbandFrog

Glenn Schumann was named Co-Defensive Coordinator & Inside Linebackers coach at Georgia in February of 2019 after three seasons in charge of the Bulldogs’ inside linebackers. He came to UGA after eight seasons at the University of Alabama, his last two serving as the Director of Player Development and Associate Director of Player Personnel.

During Schumann’s tenure in Athens, Georgia has won 11 or more games in three straight seasons for the first time in program history. The Bulldogs have also won three straight SEC Eastern Division titles (2017-19), earned four consecutive New Year’s Six Bowl berths and played for the 2018 CFP national championship.

In the past two seasons, Georgia’s defense led the nation in rushing defense in both 2019 (74.6 ypg) and 2020 (72.3 ypg), in scoring defense in 2019 (12.6 ppg), and in rushing TDs allowed (2, UGA record) in 2019. The Bulldogs ranked 2nd and 3rd, respectively, in total defense nationally in the 2020 and 2019 seasons.

Schumann has coached Roquan Smith — 2017 Butkus Award winner, consensus All-American, SEC Defensive Player of the Year, and Chicago Bears first round draft pick; 2019 second team All-SEC and 2020 Butkus Award finalist LB Monty Rice, 2019 Butkus Award semifinalist Tae Crowder, and 2020 Butkus Award semifinalist Nakobe Dean.

Schumann spent eight years with the Crimson Tide, first as an undergraduate analyst (2008-Dec. 2011) and then as a graduate assistant (Dec. 2011-Feb. 2014). In February, 2014, he was named Director of Player Development and Associate Director of Player Personnel serving in those positions until December, 2015. During his tenure at Alabama, the Crimson Tide won three BCS National Championships, one College Football Playoff national title, three Southeastern Conference crowns, six SEC western division titles, and was ranked in the nation’s final top ten rankings eight years in a row. In seven of those eight years the Alabama defense finished no lower than fifth nationally in total defense, and in the top ten in scoring defense all eight years. The 2011 defense led the nation in all five major categories including total defense (183.6 ypg), scoring defense (8.2 ppg), rushing defense (72.2 ypg), passing defense (111.5 ypg) and pass efficiency defense (83.69 rating).

In his role with player development at Alabama, Schumann’s responsibilities included a number of off-the-field activities for Alabama’s football student-athletes. He served as an important resource in balancing their demands of academics, athletics and community outreach. He was also involved in the organization of all recruiting efforts.

Schumann comes from a long line of coaches. His father Eric, after playing safety for Alabama in the mid-70s, spent 20 years in college football as a defensive coordinator. Among his coaching stops were UAB, Tulane, SMU, East Tennessee State, Valdosta State, Livingston, New Mexico and Troy. Schumann’s grandfather Jack Haskin was a coach on the first football team at Florida State University and is a member of the FSU Hall of Fame. In addition, Schumann’s mother, Dr. Sherry Schumann, is a former collegiate coach and Athletic Director.

Born in Valdosta, Ga., Schumann graduated from McKinney Boyd High School in McKinney, Texas, where he lettered in both football and basketball. He earned his bachelor of arts degree from Alabama in December, 2011, and a masters in sports management from UA in December, 2013. He and his wife Lauren have a son, Bryson Eric Schumann, born in September of 2019, and a daughter, Whitley Maryann Schumann, born in May of 2021.

Schumann Thumbnail
Birthdate:
March 29, 1990
Birthplace: Valdosta, Ga.
Family: Wife, Lauren; Son, Bryson Eric; Daughter, Whitley Maryann
High School: McKinney Boyd (Tex.) High School
College: Alabama ‘’11 (B.A.),
Alabama ’13 (M.S., Sport Management)
Coaching Experience
2008-11.......................... Alabama (undergraduate analyst)
2011-14................................ Alabama (graduate assistant)
2014-15..............Alabama (director of player development/
................................ associate director of player personnel)
2016-18.............................................. Georgia (Inside LBs)
2019-Present....Georgia (Co-Defensive Coord./Inside LBs)
His Mother was a mudder

FrogPreacher

My guess/hope is that Sonny is considering a DC who has a game this weekend. Probably can't steal Oky State's DC, but San Diego State and Appalachian State are ranked 11 and 12, respectively, for total defense. Hopefully we will have someone in place early next week.
Quite quiet is what I hope you were meaning*L*

Putt4Purple

Joseph Gillespie is in his third season as defensive coordinator at The University of Tulsa in 2021. In his seventh year overall at Tulsa, Gillespie continues to coach linebackers for the Golden Hurricane. Gillespie came to Tulsa in January 2015 following 20 years as a high school football coach in the state of Texas.

Gillespie was promoted to defensive coordinator on January 3, 2019, following the retirement of Bill Young.

In 2020, Gillespie was named the FootballScoop Linebackers Coach of the Year and was a finalist for Defensive Coordinator of the Year as well.

Gillespie tutored Consensus All-America linebacker and the 2020 Chuck Bednarik, Bronko Nagurski Trophy and the Lombardi Award Winner Zaven Collins. During the season, the 6'4" linebacker won the Chuck Bednarik, Walter Camp and Bronko Nagurski Defensive Player of the Week awards in three separate weeks and earned The American's Defensive Player of the Week four times.

But Tulsa's linebacking corps was more than just its leader. In fact, sophomore Justin Wright led the unit with 63 tackles en route to earning second-team all-conference honors, and senior Treyvon Reeves ranked fifth on the team with 43 stops.

Under Gillespie's direction, Tulsa’s 2020 defense was ranked second in The American for total defense, scoring defense, rushing defense, pass defense and pass defense efficiency. Tulsa also ranked among the nation's best defenses for a variety of statistical categories. The Hurricane held opponents to 333.6 total yards (19th in NCAA) and 21.6 points per game (27th in NCAA). Tulsa also ranked 18th for fewest passing yards, 19th nationally in pass efficiency defense, 20th in red zone defense and 43rd in rushing defense.

In the 2020 season, Tulsa's defense totaled 69 tackles for loss, 23 quarterback sacks, 32 pass breakups, 10 forced fumbles, 10 fumble recoveries and six interceptions, including two returned for touchdowns.

Collins was the 16th pick in the first round of the NFL Draft by the Arizona Cardinals, becoming the third Hurricane defender to be drafted within the last two years. A year earlier, cornerback Reggie Robinson II was a fourth round Dallas Cowboys draft choice and defensive end Trevis Gipson was selected by the Chicago Bears in the fifth round.

Gillespie helped transition the Hurricane from a base 4-man front to a 3-3-5 alignment in 2018 as Tulsa’s defensive numbers emphatically improved. Tulsa ended the 2018 regular season with the nation’s 8th best pass defense, while allowing opponents 120+ yards less in total offense than a year earlier. The defensive unit continued to show improvement last season, cutting opponents total yardage to under 400 yards per game.

He has been a part of three bowl teams with the Hurricane, including the 2015 Camping World Independence Bowl, 2016 Miami Beach Bowl and 2020 Armed Forces Bowl.

Before coming to Tulsa, Gillespie spent seven years (2008-14) as the athletic director and head football coach at Stephenville (Texas) High School. His teams compiled a .758 winning percentage with an overall 72-23 record, while winning the district championship three times, sharing the district crown once, advancing to the state playoffs seven times and winning one state championship.

Gillespie led his 2012 team to a 13-1 overall record and the Class 3A state title, while a year later his team compiled a 12-2 mark and advanced to the Class 4A state semifinals. Gillespie’s 2014 team finished the season with a 9-4 record and advanced to the state quarterfinal round.

He coached former Auburn star and current New England Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham at Stephenville.

In his first season, Gillespie led Stephenville to a 10-4 record and a quarterfinal appearance in the 2008 Class 4A state playoffs. His 2009 team recorded a 9-3 mark and was undefeated in District 7-4A, while in 2010 posted an 8-6 record and advanced to the Class 4A state quarterfinals. The 2011 team registered an overall 11-3 mark and again advanced to the Class 4A state quarterfinals.

Gillespie earned District Coach of the Year honors four times (2009, 2011, 2012 and 2013) and was the Big Country Coach of the Year for three seasons (2008, 2011 and 2012).

Before becoming the Stephenville head coach in February 2008, Gillespie served 13 years as an assistant coach at the school. He coached under Art Briles for five years, Texas High School Hall of Honor inductee Mike Copeland for three seasons and Chad Morris for five years.

As an assistant coach, Gillespie helped lead Stephenville to two state titles, coming in 1998 and 1999. Gillespie coached linebackers and safeties under Morris and was the co-defensive coordinator and secondary coach under Copeland.

A Stephenville native, Gillespie earned his bachelor’s degree in kinesiology from Angelo State in 1994.

Gillespie and his wife, Jodi, have three children: sons Josh and Jake, daughter Chelsea and son-in-law, Tyler, grandson Emmerson and granddaughter Ayla.
Are you his agent?

nope never heard of him until I read an article that said Coach Dykes was interested because he changes Tulsa's defense from the 4 man front to a 3 man front with success. Took it off of Tulsa site and thought it was interesting. Also I would not be much of an agent if I was trolling message boards instead of talking to TCU to gauge their interest in my client.

Outback Frog

I'm fine the DC hasn't been announced yet because there is no need to rush the most important hire Sonny will make. That said, I think we will know something after the games Saturday, probably Sunday or Monday.