• The KillerFrogs

Athlon Preseason Magazine = No Good

LeagueCityFrog

They picked the SMU quarterback as a higher quality quarterback than Andy Dalton. They talk about how TCU hasn't won in Utah since blah..blah..blah... then they pick TCU to win the conference and end up being 11-1 going undefeated in conference. Huh? Are we losing to Tenn. Tech or SMU this year. Total crapola. No love for Jeremy Kerley.. They said the TCU football job ranks in the bottom half of the NCAA right now... Even their cheerleading section sucked. What is your take?

Big Frog II

QUOTE(LeagueCityFrog @ May 31 2010, 12:05 PM) [snapback]566381[/snapback]
They picked the SMU quarterback as a higher quality quarterback than Andy Dalton. They talk about how TCU hasn't won in Utah since blah..blah..blah... then they pick TCU to win the conference and end up being 11-1 going undefeated in conference. Huh? Are we losing to Tenn. Tech or SMU this year. Total crapola. No love for Jeremy Kerley.. They said the TCU football job ranks in the bottom half of the NCAA right now... Even their cheerleading section sucked. What is your take?

Use the magazine as toilet paper. At least it would be of some value.

Frogs On A Plane

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(LeagueCityFrog @ May 31 2010, 01:05 PM) [snapback]566381[/snapback]

Maybe they have us losing to Oregon St?

LeagueCityFrog

What was the last big game, non-bowl, on the national stage, that Oregon State has won in front of a nationally televised audience? For TCU it was the Oklahoma game a couple years back against Adrian Peterson and friends in Norman...I can't remember any game.

PurpleBlood87

QUOTE(LeagueCityFrog @ May 31 2010, 01:30 PM) [snapback]566389[/snapback]
What was the last big game, non-bowl, on the national stage, that Oregon State has won in front of a nationally televised audience? For TCU it was the Oklahoma game a couple years back against Adrian Peterson and friends in Norman...I can't remember any game.

Didn't Oregon State beat USC two years ago, knocking USC out of the national title hunt. I think it was in 2008.

QUOTE(PurpleBlood87 @ May 31 2010, 12:07 PM) [snapback]566396[/snapback]
Didn't Oregon State beat USC two years ago, knocking USC out of the national title hunt. I think it was in 2008.

It was '06 in Corvallis.

R

RJ Fletcher

QUOTE(scottsdalefrog87 @ May 31 2010, 02:20 PM) [snapback]566401[/snapback]
It was '06 in Corvallis.

They beat USC in Corvallis in '06 & '08

Jaquizz Rodgers absolutely took over that '08 game, had nearly 200 rushing yards on something like 40 carries.

Dogfrog

Never spend money on Athlon. You can probably find it in the trash cans outside Wal-Mart. They have always been clueless. It seems their attempt to be the first on the shelves equals little to no insight or research.

namollec

QUOTE(Frog_Fan71 @ May 31 2010, 03:31 PM) [snapback]566410[/snapback]
Athlon is crap.

Phil Steele is targeting June 8 for landing on magazine racks and shelves. I like his take. Used to start his column with "TCU is fast becoming like Va Tech... etc" I wrote Phil last year that we had passed those boys on the football landscape.

So last year's edition now longer started with that catch phrase. I expect that many fans helped Phil refocus his TCU column.

Go Frogs! Can hardly wait!!!!

gdu

QUOTE(LeagueCityFrog @ May 31 2010, 06:30 PM) [snapback]566389[/snapback]

USC, and that USC team was alot better than the OU team we beat ended up being.

Showtime Joe

I saw both the Athlon's and Lindy's preview mags in the store today. Since Athlon has us ranked #11, I chose not to buy it. I did, however, purchase a copy of Lindy's, which has us at #7! Believe it or not, Lindy's also has Boise State ranked #2! Can't wait for Phil Steele's mag to come out; it is definitely the best.

In their rankings of coaching gigs I thought TCU was too low at #60. I wouldn't expect a top 25 ranking, but not too far outside. Great recruiting with a nice niche we've carved, tons of institutional support, excellent infrastructure, great place to live, strong salary. Conference affiliation hurts (albeit up and coming), but I honestly think its a better gig than some middling BCS program where you never have a chance at a conference championship. There's a reason Patterson has stayed, and its because there aren't a lot of better positions.

R

RJ Fletcher

QUOTE(FFL @ Jun 1 2010, 10:00 AM) [snapback]566604[/snapback]
It's the only one worth buying in my opinion.

I usually end up buying most of them (or at least reading a good chunk of 'em at Barnes & Noble) just to see what they've got to say. But DCTF is definitely the only one worth keeping.

SnoSki

QUOTE(KillerFrog InD KitchenSink @ Jun 1 2010, 09:17 AM) [snapback]566579[/snapback]
In their rankings of coaching gigs I thought TCU was too low at #60. I wouldn't expect a top 25 ranking, but not too far outside. Great recruiting with a nice niche we've carved, tons of institutional support, excellent infrastructure, great place to live, strong salary. Conference affiliation hurts (albeit up and coming), but I honestly think its a better gig than some middling BCS program where you never have a chance at a conference championship. There's a reason Patterson has stayed, and its because there aren't a lot of better positions.

The only factor that matters... a$k patter$on how many dollar$ he earn$ $ince he'$ been the coach here. Guarantee you he's not 60th-best in terms of pay.

gdu

QUOTE(SnoSkiDrew @ Jun 1 2010, 07:42 PM) [snapback]566784[/snapback]
The only factor that matters... a$k patter$on how many dollar$ he earn$ $ince he'$ been the coach here. Guarantee you he's not 60th-best in terms of pay.

It's not the only factor that matters; quality of life, winning, pressure, spotlight, etc... are important too, but you are correct, CGP's pay is higher than 60th.