• The KillerFrogs

"Assassin" Jack Tatum dead at 61

Pappy Frog

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP)—Jack Tatum seemed proud of his nickname: “Assassin.”

The moniker stuck with the former Oakland Raiders safety even after his playing days—and it’s one that strikes an odd chord considering how Tatum is tied to one of the more tragic moments in the game’s history.

Tatum was one of the hardest hitters in the NFL, a Pro Bowler who intimidated opposing players with bone-jarring tackles that helped make his Raiders one of the toughest teams of its era.

He’s also a player who will always be remembered for a hard hit in a preseason game that left New England Patriots receiver Darryl Stingley paralyzed from the neck down.

Tatum died Tuesday at age 61 in an Oakland hospital. The cause was a massive heart attack, according to friend and former Ohio State teammate John Hicks. Tatum had battled diabetes and other health problems for years, Hicks said.

The collision with Stingley happened Aug. 12, 1978, at Oakland Coliseum.

Gunner

Tatum met his match when he came up and put his biggest hit on Earl Campbell. Campbell, hesitated for a second and then ran right past him. Tatum looked like he had just seen a ghost. :biggrin:

oldscribe

That brings back an unpleasant memory.....TCU at Ohio State when Buckeyes had Brockington, Rex Kern and Tatum. I was there and the score was 62-0 Buckeyes. Hope Frogs can get revenge in a NC game this coming Janaury!

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
QUOTE(Gunner @ Jul 28 2010, 11:45 AM) [snapback]603722[/snapback]
Tatum met his match when he came up and put his biggest hit on Earl Campbell. Campbell, hesitated for a second and then ran right past him. Tatum looked like he had just seen a ghost. :biggrin:

Better than that was when Earl caught Tatum chest high with his face mask and ran over him.

jack the frog

QUOTE(ricksterh @ Jul 28 2010, 02:03 PM) [snapback]603914[/snapback]
Did Tatum ever show any remorse or apologize for what he did to Stingley? :angry:

I don't recall all the details, but I believe that the only time Tatum asked to meet with Stingley was years later, when Tatum had a new book out. Some saw it as a promo deal by Tatum. Not sure if they ever met.
I wonder about the depths of his remorse when the book was entitled, "They call me Assassin," or something like that.