• The KillerFrogs

aside from quarterback...what positions are you interested in watching develop

Eight

the presumption is that this will be one of gary's best defense, but for that to happen the frogs are going to need to find stability in a few key areas. a few areas aren't as much worries as areas that i am interested in watching develop over camp and the early season.

specifically, linebacker and defensive end. one thing that has played out since the frogs has joined the big 12 is that you need quality depth to sustain the play of the defense over the season. the frogs aren't just looking for starters, but also those rotational players at each of the positions. this picture will get sharper once they get into pads, but at this point;

defensive end - projected starters of ochaun mathis and shameik blackshear on paper have potential and the expectation is they will be solid. they need to show they are up to the task and who backs them up? do we see parker workman and adam plant? once you get past that group of four things get a bit interesting when you look at the depth chart.

linebacker - projected started of garret wallow and montrel wilson. number of great things written about wallow entering the year so for arguments sakes lets take the stance he lives up to the hype. who plays next to him? staff is supposedly high on wilson and positive things have been written about the role he has taken with the young linebackers. the catch is mention he will be limited to 15-20 snaps early in the year. will we see ben wilson splitting reps with montrel at this position? who backs up wallow? with the emphasis on teams becoming more physical and a turn towards the power run game in the big 12 having 4 linebackers will matter. can montrel stay healthy? can ben take over the other reps? who is the 4th linebacker in the rotation?

one other position that is interesting to me is the back up corners.

if gladney and lewis are healthy they are the starters, but both are gone and behind them sit two interesting prospects. noah daniels somehow is only a sophomore despite seeming to be a guy in the program longer than 2 seasons. gary's defensive unicorn has been a 6'+ corner who can turn and run with any receiver the frogs will face and he actually has that in gladney. i am curious if this is the year we start to see some consistency in noah's play and he puts himself in postion to take over for jeff next year. additionally, tony wallace was recruited out of juco to provide depth this year and press for starting time next year. he is just under 6' and was highly recruited coming out of juco. does he fit in behind julius or do we see one of the young corners step up?

anyone have any areas outside of quarterback that interest them going into this season?

jake102

I think there's been a little too much talk of "best defense ever". There are huge questions at DE and LB... that's 4/11 spots on the field. DT and CB will be elite, safety should be somewhere between good and elite.

One injury to a LB or DE and you enter big time danger territory

Froggish

I think in terms of players but position wise..

Center - McMillon?
Guard - Anyone opposite Cordell
Outside WR - Stephens-Hunt- Barkley?
LB- Can Holmes or Ben step up
CB- Daniels ready for greatness?

MAcFroggy

I think there's been a little too much talk of "best defense ever". There are huge questions at DE and LB... that's 4/11 spots on the field. DT and CB will be elite, safety should be somewhere between good and elite.

Yeah, I am not so much worried about DE and LB starters as much as I am worried about rotational depth. Finding 3-4 LBs and 4-5 DEs is going to be critical for the success of the defense.

I am also interested to see how the OG and centers plays out. Aside from Cordel Iwuagwu, it should be a battle to determine starters and second team players for both of those positions.

LVH

What I would say to this is historically under Patterson the DE and LB positions have been the "easiest" holes to fill. The most important positions on this defense are the DTs and Secondary, which look fine.

Eight

Yeah, I am not so much worried about DE and LB starters as much as I am worried about rotational depth. Finding 3-4 LBs and 4-5 DEs is going to be critical for the success of the defense.

I am also interested to see how the OG and centers plays out. Aside from Cordel Iwuagwu, it should be a battle to determine starters and second team players for both of those positions.

i agree with jake and you that the rotation at those positions will most likely have a bigger impact over the course of the year.

really gets interesting at linebacker where you really don't have a guy with a load of experience at the position to depend upon and it montrel goes down you are now looking at youngsters.

glasgow may have his hands full getting players up to speed quickly which hasn't always been a strength of the position.

de is a matter of bodies ready to play. bowen is out, colt is mending, harris and armstrong are converted linebackers who haven't had a chance to gain weight.

i really don't want to see harris or armstrong trying to hold the edge against a double team this season.

one thought on guard is if david can play the swing tackle does that free austin to start inside? center has to start out better this year than last year.

Eight

What I would say to this is historically under Patterson the DE and LB positions have been the "easiest" holes to fill. The most important positions on this defense are the DTs and Secondary, which look fine.

linebacker hasn't been an easy position to fill. howard got moved when the players recruited to the position weren't getting the job done and the ramp up time the past few years for young linebackers has not been good.

ben wilson should have seen the field much sooner last year as the frogs were playing a senior who from the start of the year missing his run fits. you can't have that in this defense and it wasn't until the very end that wilson got a chance to play.

CryptoMiner

Center definitely with McMillon and Hollins battling.

We have a smaller OL overall and backup LT may be another good battle.

Defensively the corners are solid through the top 3 but injuries can wreck havoc. Need a solid #4 guy. Wallace maybe.

FWSTC Hfrog

Outside receivers. Interested to see the development of the receivers under Malcolm Kelly. Expecting a noticeable difference in production. Now, if they just find someone who can make all the throws.

Casey T

Center is my biggest, we saw the difference it made last year after the switch was made. Depth is second, seems like we have terrible injury years every other year so hopefully this one will work out alright.

Not too worried about starting DE & LB since they always seem to work out even with question marks to start the season. And I’m expecting the new wr coach to fix the wr issue from last year

Eight

WR: Outside of Reagor, I’ve seen nothing to write home about. Someone will step up.

at some point you have to think all that physical talent is going to produce at least one other consistent receiver.

very interested in watching if there is a change in the execution at the position with kelly added to the staff

ThisIsOurTime

I am more concerned with the offensive line than anything on the defense. As has been said before, we are solid at DT and that will do wonders for hiding holes at DE and LB. And we have bodies at both positions so it isn't like that one year where we were using a walk on as a starting LB. GP will have the defense ready to go by mid season if not at the start.

For our offense, we need to be able to effectively run the ball and take advantage of our veteran RB corps. If we can't do that, we put a lot of pressure on our QB. We don't appear to have a QB ready yet who can handle that pressure consistently. But we might be able to find a guy this year who can be that guy next year.