• The KillerFrogs

As expected #3 in Coaches Poll

An-Cap Frog

Right. And Tennessee lost by a million to South Carolina. And Oregon is ahead of Oregon State in the Pac 12 standings....same division. Had Oregon State played at Georgia instead of at home against Boise State, they'd be 8-4. So I'm fine with it. Valid point I guess on LSU but let's see where the committee puts them.

You realize Baylor beat us in 2014, right? Same record. Nobody had a problem with us being ranked ahead of them for weeks. So it was Baylor that really got screwed. Ok, got it.
In the NFL, the first tiebreaking procedure is head-to-head. Why not in the NCAAs?

It would be weird if Green Bay went to the playoffs over Minnesota because they beat the Bears by more points...

An-Cap Frog

So what. That’s one game. Not at a neutral site. It’s a 12-game schedule, gotta consider everything. The only reason Oregon State is 9-3 instead of 8-4 is because they didn’t have Georgia on their schedule.
What is the best way to know that one team is better than another?

ULM and Texas State were both 4-8...how would you rank them?

Wexahu

What is the best way to know that one team is better than another?

ULM and Texas State were both 4-8...how would you rank them?
Lol, I don’t know, I’d have to look at who they’ve played and the scores, but I’m not doing that.

Let me get this straight, in your opinion we should have never been ranked higher than BU in ‘14 since we never had a better record and they beat us, is that right? Wow, that’s a POV that isn’t shared here much.

JogginFrog

Outright conference championship, 12-1 record vs 11-1 record and playing a tougher SOS is not "shamelessly" applying whatever formula they want. Those are actually very valid differences in resumes. Now, if this year we lose 28-20 and they say make something up like, well, blah blah blah, then yes, you'd have a valid point.

Imagine if Ohio State was sitting there at 11-1 and ranked #3 (and had not beaten a top 10 team) and idle this Saturday and we were 11-1 and then go out and beat Kansas State 59-0 to go 12-1 and claim a Big 12 championship. What would you be saying if they didn't move us ahead of OSU in that circumstance?
It's a good question, and humorous to see the roles so completely reversed. Yes, I would expect to see us move ahead of OSU in that circumstance, and I would howl if TCU didn't.

I would also expect OSU to say in response, "59-0--gosh, it's almost like K State didn't show up. Not accusing them of outright collusion, but it's almost as if they recognized that their school would get quite a bit more money if they lost, so they stood down. Should the committee give any weight at all to that 13th data point?" And they would be right to say that. (Edit: But I'd give more credence to their questioning if they lost to Michigan by 3 on the road than if they lost by 22 at home.)

So, I'm glad we're not 11-1. But if K State happens to suffer from an subconscious sense of justice and monetary self interest this week, I'm all for it.

Last edited:

froginmn

Very thin margin between #1 UGA and #2 UM. Georgia will get a boost from the CCG opponents so no chance those flip in the last weekend though.

Eight

In the NFL, the first tiebreaking procedure is head-to-head. Why not in the NCAAs?

It would be weird if Green Bay went to the playoffs over Minnesota because they beat the Bears by more points...

the conferences decide their tie breakers not the ncaa

as far as the rankings, they are nothing more than discussion fodder beyond the final four

froginmn

I think there's a chance that with a big win over KSU and a slim Michigan win over Purdue we should sneak up to number two. Obviously these poll rankings aren't the CFP rankings but seems like they'll match.

Eight

Fairly certain no team has ever won a Natty since CFP began that started the season unranked. Also curious if any team has made the playoff that started unranked.

who was the last team to be picked to fnish in the bottom half of their conference and end up and win the regular season?

most of the time they have been picking the chalk in teams such as bama, clemson, ohio state, and uga

An-Cap Frog

the conferences decide their tie breakers not the ncaa

as far as the rankings, they are nothing more than discussion fodder beyond the final four
Great. What is the best metric to determine which team is better than another? I am going on a limb here and saying head-to-head. That doesn't mean it is the end all be all, but it should be considered first. If you want to rank Bama over Ten because Bama beat Texas and Ten beat Pitt, by all means, but there are three teams that lost to teams head-to-head and have identical records and all three are ranked above. It cannot be that all three have better wins against a MAC school...