• The KillerFrogs

Article on 1957 Cotton Bowl Photo

Paint It Purple

PurplFrawg said:
The freshmen orientation committee needs to scrap the "Call Me Maybe" song skit immediately.  Replace it with a huge backdrop of this highlighted photograph and Dan Jenkins or William Walker reading the text of the article.  Kids will be imprinted with Horned Frog for life.
Your good idea makes me realize that the photo deserves a prominent place inside AGCS.  Wish I had the kinda money that could commission some kind of statue or mural. 

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
So. Started to inquire about getting 2 copies of this. Shared the article from Killerfrogs with my mom and hope she does not start posting here even though she is class of '59.

OICU812

Would love to see this story, and photos, prominently displayed in the stadium, AND at the athletic department!!!
Never seen anything that captures what "heart" means, as well as this.

purplepreacher

purplepreacher said:
Every time I read this tears of pride well up.  This article explains the essence of TCU football.  Jim Brown said in an interview about the game that TCU players were a nice bunch of human beings.  This was TCU's zenith during the fifties.
Ditto here.  Tears rolling down my right cheek.

purplepreacher

Land Frog said:
So. Started to inquire about getting 2 copies of this. Shared the article from Killerfrogs with my mom and hope she does not start posting here even though she is class of '59.
Found an original hard copy in Calf.  Still have it.  Will go into my estate, modest as it is.

Leap Frog

Pure Purple said:
These players were members of the team during my time at the University. However, the prior

season (1955) might have been one of TCU's finest ever. 

I have a copy of the SI magazine-- get it out every once-in-awhile so I can read it and cry like a baby.

French Frog

What a fabulous article.  I didn't get to witness this great period in TCU Football, wasn't born yet.

However, while working my way through TCU, I had the privilege of working directly with the legendary Dr. Jim Swink.  He was an excellent surgeon, a gentleman and very generously supported my application to medical school.  He positively impacted my life and career and I will be forever grateful.  He will be missed.

Leap Frog

purplepreacher said:
Found an original hard copy in Calf.  Still have it.  Will go into my estate, modest as it is.

The SI mag of 7-26-'99 not only has the '57 CB story and pic, but these classic photos:
Dwight Clark's winning catch in the 1982 Super Bowl.
Willie May's greatest catch in 1954.
A bowed and bloody qb,(Y.A.Tittle) in 1964 game Giants vs.Steelers.
Jackie Robinson of the Dodgers stealing home in 1955 World Series against the Yankees.
Rocky Marciano k.o.of Jersey Joe Walcott to win title in 1952.
Frank Gifford laid out cold with Chuck Bednarik standing over him with fist raised high.in 1960.
And,of course, the cover with Ali standing over Liston after k.o. in May of 1965.

Truly a keeper of 20th. Century sports stories and photos-- if you can get your hands on a copy.

As I settle into the twilight of my life it has been my experience to witness the special love and devotion that

is inherent in those of us who have been privileged to be a part of this University. Cherish it to the fullest....

Deep Purple

PurplFrawg said:
The freshmen orientation committee needs to scrap the "Call Me Maybe" song skit immediately.  Replace it with a huge backdrop of this highlighted photograph and Dan Jenkins or William Walker reading the text of the article.  Kids will be imprinted with Horned Frog for life.

The 400 Frogs said:
Hopefully, anyone on the admin pay roll who had anything to do w/ Call Me Maybe got a visit from the efficiency expert.

Good gawd.  "Call Me Maybe"?  Still on that?  Three years past?  Have you not heard that we've since had a major win at the Peach Bowl, finished at #2 in the nation, and are a potential national championship candidate for 2015?

And you actually believe somebody in the TCU admin has a role on developing the skits the OSA's (Orientation Student Assistants) develop for New Student Orientation?  Get real.

keep-calm-its-time-to-move-on.png

Deep Purple

Paint It Purple said:
Your good idea makes me realize that the photo deserves a prominent place inside AGCS.  Wish I had the kinda money that could commission some kind of statue or mural. 

That photo is displayed as a major wall mural in the Justin Athletic Center.  Or it used to be.  I haven't been down there recently, so I can' t say, but I'd be shocked if they removed it, considering the major good pub it brought.

Frogs1983

Every time I read this tears of pride well up. This article explains the essence of TCU football. Jim Brown said in an interview about the game that TCU players were a nice bunch of human beings. This was TCU's zenith during the fifties.
Who would have realized, at the time, the pit TCU football would fall into for over 30 years.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
Somewhat sad to revisit this post. Since then, Frank Hyde, Jim Shofner and Dan Jenkins have died. Some of the living players are suffering dementia or other serious health problems. Those are just the folks I’m aware of.

If you can figure out a way to get to the game tomorrow, I hope you will. Yeah it’s a beating to go, park etc, yeah it’s lining Jerry’s pocket and it’s on tv and all the rest but these moments are not promised to us or the team. Be a part of it!

Last edited:

HF98

Anyone know where you can find a print of the photo?
My mom called Sports Illustrated and purchased a copy of the photo from them, framed it and gave it to me as a gift. It’s now hanging in my home office. Great article. Describes the internal dialogue of a player about to line up and play a violent game better than any I’ve read.

Frog2006

Yeah, I posted a thread on this to split the cost of the photo since SI/Getty wanted $1,400 for the negative. Brutal. Please let me know if anyone has a better way to get this so I can frame it!