• The KillerFrogs

Arkansas passes law - guns allowed at fb games

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Natural Selection is letting Arkansas eliminate itself.

ill_allow_it_community.gif

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
UT band member hit by a bottle during the halftime show. TCU band member hit by large can while sitting in the stands. Both happened my freshman year at Arkansas stadium. Don't care if the hillbillies want to knock each other off. But that's not where they'll be aiming.

GoFrog Yourself

Not sure it makes much of a difference. Typically someone who wants to bring a gun into a stadium would have concealed one before this law took effect. Sure, there will be more guns there. But concealed carry licences aren't just something you walk up and get. The optimist in me wants to believe that those who bring a concealed carry into a stadium will conduct themselves as a responsible concealed carrier would. But the pessimist in me is also aware of the very real danger that could occur with just one drunk fan doing something stupid.

TLDR: hope someone with a concealed carry that feels the need to bring their gun into a football stadium will do so responsibly

Purp

I think I'd be okay with this as long as there was another law that made use of a firearm while intoxicated as significant of an offense as operating a motor vehicle. I might even go as far as defining "use of a firearm" as carrying it for protection.

The devil's advocate in me likes the idea here b/c stadiums are increasingly becoming less safe places because they're big targets with lots of people. A bunch of hill billies carrying guns in a stadium would make it more difficult for me to carry out an attack if I were a terrorist so I'd likely consider a softer target.

Put another way, I think this is a far better protection/deterrent against a terrorist attack than a clear bag policy. The obvious concern here is that it presents entirely different risks that need to be considered and mitigated.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
UT band member hit by a bottle during the halftime show. TCU band member hit by large can while sitting in the stands. Both happened my freshman year at Arkansas stadium. Don't care if the hillbillies want to knock each other off. But that's not where they'll be aiming.

QF is right.
And aiming won't be state law there till '21.
Assuming it makes it thru the House.
After consultation with the Senate.
After approval from the Committee.
That's a lotta If's

Sand Frog

Not sure it makes much of a difference. Typically someone who wants to bring a gun into a stadium would have concealed one before this law took effect. Sure, there will be more guns there. But concealed carry licences aren't just something you walk up and get. The optimist in me wants to believe that those who bring a concealed carry into a stadium will conduct themselves as a responsible concealed carrier would. But the pessimist in me is also aware of the very real danger that could occur with just one drunk fan doing something stupid.

TLDR: hope someone with a concealed carry that feels the need to bring their gun into a football stadium will do so responsibly

THIS!

TCUFROG1998

I hate to break it to you guys but there are plenty of guns at the games already (including TCU). I don't carry one but guarantee you that plenty do. Granted most stay in the car/truck but they are there. A lot of people carry guns with them wherever they go. The ones that do right now though would never bring a gun out to begin with whether drunk or not because they are smart enough to not get arrested. This law "could" elevate a shooting threat, but my point is only that there are plenty at NCAA football games already.

Froginbedford

At least it doesn't go into effect until after TCU's game there this year.

That's good....I can remember drunken Hog fans throwing whiskey bottles out of the upper deck at Amon Carter when TCU went up 13-0 in 1971 or 1972....But, as usual, Arkansas rallied with four TD on four possessions....