• The KillerFrogs

Arkansas passes law - guns allowed at fb games

Double V

I think this is completely dumb, fans get extremely agitated at college football games and lose their cool. Introducing a gun to that equation is going to result in a tragic event.

I'm sorry, but the type of people to get agitated to the point of shooting someone at a football game A) don't care about gun laws, and B) aren't the type to get their CHL.

Last edited:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I'm sorry, but the type of people to get agitated to the point of shooting someone at a football game A) don't care about gun laws, and B) aren't the type to get their CHL.
I disagree. Gun laws usually carry serious charges - now, that doesn't mean that carrying without the CHL into the stadium won't still be a crime, but when you pass a law like this and give it press...

Let's put it this way - my firm gets the serious question often "isn't weed legal now?" just because another state passed a high profile legalization act. Some idiots up there, without a CHL, are going to interpret this as "ok so I get to take a gun into the game now".

ftwfrog

I see plenty of armed police officers at TCU football games. I would rather leave my safety up to them, than some backwoods hillbilly who thinks he's Wyatt Earp and cant hit the broad side of a barn when he's sober.

Deep Purple

I'm reading all these predictions of mayhem and murder, and they all sound an awfully lot like the national cacophony of shrill, panicky predictions we heard from certain quarters when the first CHL laws were passed and then again when the first open-carry laws were passed. America was gonna become Dodge City on a Saturday night and no man, woman, or child was safe.

But it didn't happen. Didn't even come close. In fact, except in certain jurisdictions like Chicago and DC (which both have extremely restrictive anti-gun laws), the national firearms murder rate has been declining, despite increasing legal sanction of the right to carry firearms. (Perhaps because of it. Who knows?)

Then I ask myself, "Of all the crimes-of-passion firearms murders you've heard about in the news, how many were committed by people who are licensed to carry?" Had no idea, so I looked it up. According to the FBI, 100ths of 1%. In fact, some segments of the population (and we all know who they are) are seven times more likely to be shot by a police officer than by a civilian who is licensed to carry. Statistically, licensed civilian firearms carriers are among the most law-abiding segment of the population.

Now, will there be idiots who have no carry permit but think they now have sanction to illegally bring a firearm into a football game? Probably. Especially in Arkansas.

That's where stadium security comes in. If you're going to allow people who are licensed to carry to do so at football games, you're going to have to have better screening at the gate -- including passing everyone through a scanner and inspecting permits. The pedestrian traffic tie-ups at the gates would be unbelievable. Think of the security lines at the airports. That's where I think this is a very bad idea.

It's a bad idea in practical terms of moving tens of thousands of people fairly fluidly into a stadium without excessive tie-ups and security lines. But all the shrieking that our football stadiums are going to turn into Kandahar firefights? I just have to laugh.

Double V

^ Pretty much the long version of the exact point I was trying to make. Gun-free zones don't make anyone safer.

You can legally carry a gun into plenty of restaurants in TX where they sell booze (less than 51% of their revenue) and show sports, yet there is no blood running through the streets...

Double V

Deep, why do you need to screen if you don't do it already? If an unlicensed person wants to bring a gun into a stadium illegally, making it legal for license-holders isn't going to change what the unlicensed person is already doing.

Double V

Last item. You guys ever been to the TX capital during the legislative session? Things can get pretty damned contentious and, guess what? Not only are permit holders allowed to carry, they are allowed to bypass the metal detectors all together and are granted expedited entry. Needless to say that's just about the safest place in the State of Texas at the beginning of every odd-numbered year...

Deep Purple

Deep, why do you need to screen if you don't do it already? If an unlicensed person wants to bring a gun into a stadium illegally, making it legal for license-holders isn't going to change what the unlicensed person is already doing.
Excellent question, V. I suppose it's a concession to the objection posted here that some idiot fans who have no permit to carry will assume they're now sanctioned to bring a firearm into the stadium.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
I would rather leave my safety up to me...
Never would have guessed that...

Addressing mutliple responses and not just this one... again, the issue is not law abiding CHLs. Rather, it is dumbasses who don't read articles and just read headlines, and believe what they want to believe. Plus, I'd say with tailgating, CFB games are full of MUCH larger numbers of VERY drunk people making poor decisions than any bar, restaurant or legislative session.

It doesn't even have to be someone shooting at an opposing fan or heckler - it could be someone reacting to one of dozens of punches or other assaults we see at football games around the country.

IMHO, the Texas legislature got it right when it did not allow guns in games.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
Excellent question, V. I suppose it's a concession to the objection posted here that some idiot fans who have no permit to carry will assume they're now sanctioned to bring a firearm into the stadium.
They will. This is not fearmongering. There will be idiot fans who do that. In this day and age of fake news and headline skimming, I would bet my life some people misinterpret this.

Double V

They will. This is not fearmongering. There will be idiot fans who do that. In this day and age of fake news and headline skimming, I would bet my life some people misinterpret this.

You're probably right, but don't you think those same idiots carried their pistol illegally when CHL laws were 1st passed, and again when open-carry was approved? Per your theory there most certainly was a number who did, yet there has not been (not to my knowledge, at least) a rise in gun violence or gun-related deaths as a result. My point being that the mere presence of a firearm does not equal death and destruction.

ftwfrog

Since the bill was amended to exclude college sports venues this thread is no longer relevant (see end of posted article)

But our baseball team is top 5. Our basketball team is the best it's been in 20 years and our football team has no where to go but up, what the hell else are us idiots supposed to argue about.