• The KillerFrogs

ARE We "Purple Baylor"?

vicarfrog

Texas Tech student section was chanting, among other things Saturday night, "Pur-Ple Bay-Lor!."

Got Steel to thinking, ARE we Purple Baylor? How would one defend such a charge?

Both putatively religious institutions, or affiliated (in our name for Chrissakes); both private; both pretty small; both over priced.

Academically, pretty similar:

TCU formally holds to the doctrines of the Disciples of Christ. Baylor formally holds to the doctrines taught and held by Baptists.

Therefore, TCU is not purple Baylor. You would have to compare another university in the Disciples of Christ network.

jake102

Where did the Baylor tears thread go? Front page huge article in WSJ today

Parents at Baylor University had the worst repayment rate for a type of federal loan called Parent Plus among private schools with at least a $1 billion endowment, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of available Education Department data. Only about a quarter of Baylor parents paid down any of what they originally borrowed after two years.

Among wealthy colleges, though, Baylor is one of the least generous with aid to needy students, publicly available documents show. It has suggested that parents make up what student loans and scholarships don’t cover through Parent Plus, according to interviews with current and former students, parents and employees.

froginaustin

So how would you explain the differences to someone who knows nothing but the metrics about either school?

Baylor games their admissions and academic metrics to puff their numbers, and TCU does not? According to "Deep Purple" that is so.

If so-- no reason for me to believe "Deep Purple" would either make it up or not know of what he spoke-- that's a pretty good start.

steelfrog

Tier 1
Baylor games their admissions and academic metrics to puff their numbers, and TCU does not? According to "Deep Purple" that is so.

If so-- no reason for me to believe "Deep Purple" would either make it up or not know of what he spoke-- that's a pretty good start.
Seems pretty thin gruel.

If that's all you got then in essence, there is no articulable difference?

dawg

Difference in two? You mean beyond the fact that one institutionally supported campus-wide rape?

There's always this:

Rose+Bowl+Game+Wisconsin+v+TCU+TkBOlCqaoAux.jpg

and this

ribbitjaws.0.gif

vs

7gJU.gif

Though why anyone cares what sand aggy thinks at anytime, let alone while the Frogs were dragging them behind the woodshed, is beyond me.

Froglaw

Texas Tech student section was chanting, among other things Saturday night, "Pur-Ple Bay-Lor!."

Got Steel to thinking, ARE we Purple Baylor? How would one defend such a charge?

Both putatively religious institutions, or affiliated (in our name for Chrissakes); both private; both pretty small; both over priced.

Academically, pretty similar:

Don't you have a Tae Kwon Dao class to attend?

HToady

we are not a religious institution. Chapel is purely voluntary and attendance there is sparse. Disciples of Christ contributes about 100 grand a year, which prolly doesn't pay the light bill for two days, maybe a week. Chancellor used to be a DoC clergyperson, but no more. Given all that, yes, we are a private school like Baylor, but much smaller. Baylor has over 15.,000 enrollment.
As a neighbor to TCU I get to watch UCC and TCUs deteriorating relationship. For example, we have a relationship with University Baptist for student parking, TCU cannot park in UCCs parking lot because the two are fighting over money. So maybe we are the purple Baylor. We seem to be getting closer to the Baptist.

NorTexCoug

Where did the Baylor tears thread go? Front page huge article in WSJ today

Parents at Baylor University had the worst repayment rate for a type of federal loan called Parent Plus among private schools with at least a $1 billion endowment, according to a Wall Street Journal analysis of available Education Department data. Only about a quarter of Baylor parents paid down any of what they originally borrowed after two years.

Among wealthy colleges, though, Baylor is one of the least generous with aid to needy students, publicly available documents show. It has suggested that parents make up what student loans and scholarships don’t cover through Parent Plus, according to interviews with current and former students, parents and employees.

Makes me glad I went to BYU where I paid no more than $1,800 per semester without scholarships or aid.