• The KillerFrogs

Are we losing the arms race with staff?

PO Frog

Watching Urban Meyer on the pregame crap yesterday as well as a YouTube clip and he said a couple of things that stood out. First, he had an analyst breaking down Michigan film every week during the season and he would meet with him weekly to track what they were doing because the rivalry game means so much he wants to know what they are doing.
Secondly, he has people on staff reviewing tape and body language of head coaches during the kicking game to see how involved they are, so when he plays against those same coaches and sees them paying close attention to a punt or FG, he knows it’s a fake and will call a TO or safe D.
My first thought was how many people do they have on staff and is there any chance we are that detailed in the way we go about doing the kinds of things we need to do to score one more point? Secondly, are we playing checkers while the blue bloods are playing chess? I know we can’t ever compete with them from a recruiting standpoint, but can we even compete from a staffing perspective? I think Bama has about 15 analysts on staff. Obviously there is information overload at some point, but I get the feeling we have a couple of interns breaking down film while Bama and OSU have former head coaches doing it.

Last edited:

Surfrog

That is all these guys do. Watch film and analyze tape. Worth noting Rusty was the receivers coach at TCU before taking a demotion. Demonite Cross was the LB coach and Co-DC before going to be DC at Mizzou, came back to TCU after being scapegoated by Berry Odem.

Rusty Burns Offensive Analyst | 11th Season

Tony Savino Offensive Analyst | 4th Season

Brian Hernandez Defensive Analyst | 2nd Season

DeMontie Cross Director of Player Personnel | 2nd Season

Darrell Patterson Defensive Analyst | 2nd Season

Garrett Altman Graduate Assistant - Offense | 2nd Season

Kenny Hill Graduate Assistant Coach - Offense | 1st Season

Michael Downing Jr. Graduate Assistant - Defense | 2nd Season

Ilaiu Moeakiola Graduate Assistant - Defense | 3rd Season

Michael Smith Graduate Assistant - Video | 1st Season

Tyler Wright Graduate Assistant - Video | 1st Season

Brett Lemoine Director of High School Relations | 3rd Season

Rachel Phillips Director of Recruiting Operations | 3rd Season

I've been saying for a while now that I think we have fallen behind not only in the number but the quality of analysts. It's not an end all be all but keeping as many eyes on your competitors as possible and self-scouting your own team has undeniable value so long as the people doing it are providing good information. I'm not sure how much GP would be into analytics but that is a trend that is only going to increase in college football so I hope we're doing something to get on top of that as well.

Mean Purple

We need to back up the money truck in the next few months and load up on the best coaching staff money can buy.

With the years dwindling until CGP’s retirement, we need to absolutely go for broke.

Hope they make the case to the powers that be that it’s now or never.
For a power 5, we should be getting assistants who have proved themselves at other programs.

Pharm Frog

Too many on staff are insiders. No new ideas, way too many yes men. We need a few hungry, highly motivated coaches from the outside to come in and freshen things up.

There’s a reason why we have such a high percentage of insiders who are rubber stamps and don’t necessarily have the diversity of experience to bring in new ideas or innovate from within.

DeuceBoogieNights

That is all these guys do. Watch film and analyze tape. Worth noting Rusty was the receivers coach at TCU before taking a demotion. Demonite Cross was the LB coach and Co-DC before going to be DC at Mizzou, came back to TCU after being scapegoated by Berry Odem.

Rusty Burns Offensive Analyst | 11th Season

Tony Savino Offensive Analyst | 4th Season

Brian Hernandez Defensive Analyst | 2nd Season

DeMontie Cross Director of Player Personnel | 2nd Season

Darrell Patterson Defensive Analyst | 2nd Season

Garrett Altman Graduate Assistant - Offense | 2nd Season

Kenny Hill Graduate Assistant Coach - Offense | 1st Season

Michael Downing Jr. Graduate Assistant - Defense | 2nd Season

Ilaiu Moeakiola Graduate Assistant - Defense | 3rd Season

Michael Smith Graduate Assistant - Video | 1st Season

Tyler Wright Graduate Assistant - Video | 1st Season

Brett Lemoine Director of High School Relations | 3rd Season

Rachel Phillips Director of Recruiting Operations | 3rd Season

So we're relying on two guys with more than 4 years of experience? I don't think this helps our case.

AustinFrog

We need to back up the money truck in the next few months and load up on the best coaching staff money can buy.

With the years dwindling until CGP’s retirement, we need to absolutely go for broke.

Hope they make the case to the powers that be that it’s now or never.

The years are dwindling before conference realignment after the GOR n 2023. We need to retool NOW so as to position ourselves for 2023 or be left out in the cold. Remember the end of the SWC, do not let it happen again.