• The KillerFrogs

Are There Any Assistants You Would Keep?

Wexahu

Exactly! I guarantee you that almost all of our defensive assistants won't be coaching at a Power 5 school within 5 years of leaving TCU. Besides maybe Gonzales, they all will be exposed as frauds because GP does all of the game planning and will end up at Tarleton or somewhere like that.
And I know people don't like to hear this, but the promotion of Kenny Hill to QB coach reeked of a typical GP move too. Hire someone you know, like, and are looking out for rather than who might be the best possible person for the job. It's almost like GP has treated KH like he owes him something, since the day he arrived in campus.

And maybe KH is a great recruiter, but is there any actual evidence of that?

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
And I know people don't like to hear this, but the promotion of Kenny Hill to QB coach reeked of a typical GP move too. Hire someone you know, like, and are looking out for rather than who might be the best possible person for the job. It's almost like GP has treated KH like he owes him something, since the day he arrived in campus.

Yet GP let Sam Carter get away, and I would argue he was a much better leader and locker room guy (based off what I’ve heard)

Moose Stuff

If there’s a regime change than I don’t see the point of keeping anyone. If I had a gun to my head I would bet on Applewhite and Kelly
Agree. Only two guys that seem to be doing well IMO. Hard to blame the secondary injuries on the coaches, If healthy I think that unit was gonna be a strength as well

SackLunch

Yet GP let Sam Carter get away, and I would argue he was a much better leader and locker room guy (based off what I’ve heard)
Yea that was a big mistake because Carter had the tools to be a good recruiter, a good X's and O's guy, had credibility because he played in that defense and played very well and would have been a guy that was good at teaching the players what the culture of TCU Football was all about and we desperately need that right now. What I watched yesterday was not even close to the way the Frogs have played in the GP era. How he let Carter get away but kept guys like Fitch, Modkins and Kenny Hill is something I don't understand. Especially when you think about the fact that Carter was GP's guy when he was playing. I'm sure a guy like Phillips was good for the program when it comes to teaching the players about how to play TCU style of defense too. The chip on your shoulder, super angry and violent style of players but I think Phillips wasn't a very good "yes man" type and butted heads with GP a little bit. I don't know how or what they need to do but they have got to get these guys to understand that TCU got to where they are today because they played old school style of football. Allowing a 100 yard rusher used to be a cardinal sin for this team and now it's pretty much par for the course. I agree they need to clean house when it comes to his assistants but they need to somehow find a way to keep or find some guys that were part of the building process of this program because those are the guys that will help us get back to the days of when our defense would face a 2000+ yard RB in a bowl game (G. Wolf N. Illinois) and hold him to like 37 yards or something like that. Maybe create a "player personnel" position and hire someone like Tank Carder or Stephan Hodge who can help explain the culture of the program that made it so great for so long. Just my dumba#@ opinion but nothing I saw Saturday said TCU Football. Nothing!

6Frog6

Does anyone remember Justin Fuente? As VA Tech was losing its 3d straight game, a chant of "Fire Fuente" was heard in the stands. Syracuse scored 14 points in the final 2:28 minutes to win.

SackLunch

lol that the first reply was Fitch
It's because of all of those great recruits that he brings in because he is such a great recruiter. Also because of the great DL play we have seen since he was named as 1 of the 2 DL coaches. (Sarcasm)

His assistants are in trouble when GP does retire. They can't hide behind GP doing all of the work when it comes to game planning and in game adjustments so they will get exposed as frauds who pretend to be D1 power 5 coaches but are really just guys that won't rock the boat when it comes to speaking up and contributing to the defense. Name 1 of GP's defensive assistant coaches who have worked under him and then left land had success as a defensive coordinator or coach at another school. Most head coaches who have been at a school a long time have a great coaching tree of coaches that left the program and had success but because GP does 99% of the game plan and calls the defense himself his coaches can't go anywhere else because they don't know what the hell they are doing. Example: Glasgow to Tech and fired in 6 games.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Yea that was a big mistake because Carter had the tools to be a good recruiter, a good X's and O's guy, had credibility because he played in that defense and played very well and would have been a guy that was good at teaching the players what the culture of TCU Football was all about and we desperately need that right now. What I watched yesterday was not even close to the way the Frogs have played in the GP era. How he let Carter get away but kept guys like Fitch, Modkins and Kenny Hill is something I don't understand. Especially when you think about the fact that Carter was GP's guy when he was playing. I'm sure a guy like Phillips was good for the program when it comes to teaching the players about how to play TCU style of defense too. The chip on your shoulder, super angry and violent style of players but I think Phillips wasn't a very good "yes man" type and butted heads with GP a little bit.
I believe this is right on the money. They butted heads. The GMFP they played for would never tolerate the nonsense that is going on under him now. That he ran off good, principled, aggressive men because they dared stand up to him is appalling. I would imagine it broke their hearts, too.

All good things...

Wexahu

I believe this is right on the money. They butted heads. The GMFP they played for would never tolerate the nonsense that is going on under him now. That he ran off good, principled, aggressive men because they dared stand up to him is appalling. I would imagine it broke their hearts, too.

All good things...
Carter wasn’t afraid to speak his mind is what I have heard. Probably one of those guys that if he were a coach and GP dog-cussed him, would have a few words to say himself

East Coast

Tier 1
NO. Sharp has been there long enough and done nothing in the last 4-5 years except contribute to how terrible our DE's, who are supposed to be our best recruits, play. He's a great guy and done a lot for the program but he needs to go along with everyone else.

Why Modkins? We have some of the best CB's TCU has had in a long time and they have underperformed almost as much as the DL and LB's.
Well, I said I would be ok with moving Sharp to some admin position that has nothing to do with football. Not coach. And by the way, over the years his DE's have performed far better than Fitch's tackles. I do think they are both great guys.

Modkins and Gonzalez have done a pretty good job overall. This year just may be an aberration.

But really, if I was the new head coach I highly doubt I'd want any of them.

Eight

Yea that was a big mistake because Carter had the tools to be a good recruiter, a good X's and O's guy, had credibility because he played in that defense and played very well and would have been a guy that was good at teaching the players what the culture of TCU Football was all about and we desperately need that right now. What I watched yesterday was not even close to the way the Frogs have played in the GP era. How he let Carter get away but kept guys like Fitch, Modkins and Kenny Hill is something I don't understand. Especially when you think about the fact that Carter was GP's guy when he was playing. I'm sure a guy like Phillips was good for the program when it comes to teaching the players about how to play TCU style of defense too. The chip on your shoulder, super angry and violent style of players but I think Phillips wasn't a very good "yes man" type and butted heads with GP a little bit. I don't know how or what they need to do but they have got to get these guys to understand that TCU got to where they are today because they played old school style of football. Allowing a 100 yard rusher used to be a cardinal sin for this team and now it's pretty much par for the course. I agree they need to clean house when it comes to his assistants but they need to somehow find a way to keep or find some guys that were part of the building process of this program because those are the guys that will help us get back to the days of when our defense would face a 2000+ yard RB in a bowl game (G. Wolf N. Illinois) and hold him to like 37 yards or something like that. Maybe create a "player personnel" position and hire someone like Tank Carder or Stephan Hodge who can help explain the culture of the program that made it so great for so long. Just my dumba#@ opinion but nothing I saw Saturday said TCU Football. Nothing!

would have been nice to have sam on the staff, but i think in the long run he is in a very good place for his career.

he played for good gary when bumpas was still around , he spent 3-4 seasons working with barry odom at missouri as an analyst with barry odom as the hc and cross as the dc first and then ryan walters. he got exposed to offenses coached by josh heupel and then derek dooley in practice and multiple styles of play in the sec.

now at arkansas he is a position coach working with odom under pittman and seen kendal briles' offense in spring etc... that is exposure to a number of good coaches, variety of systems, coached games in a variety of environments, and he definitely has to be on his game in recruiting.

don't know what sam's long term goals are, but if he wants to be a dc or hc one day he is drawing from a variety of philosophies, seen a number of differing offensive schemes, and been exposed to multiple head coaches.

if i am comparing that resume to the members of the frogs defensive staff i honestly like sam's better on paper

Pharm Frog

would have been nice to have sam on the staff, but i think in the long run he is in a very good place for his career.

he played for good gary when bumpas was still around , he spent 3-4 seasons working with barry odom at missouri as an analyst with barry odom as the hc and cross as the dc first and then ryan walters. he got exposed to offenses coached by josh heupel and then derek dooley in practice and multiple styles of play in the sec.

now at arkansas he is a position coach working with odom under pittman and seen kendal briles' offense in spring etc... that is exposure to a number of good coaches, variety of systems, coached games in a variety of environments, and he definitely has to be on his game in recruiting.

don't know what sam's long term goals are, but if he wants to be a dc or hc one day he is drawing from a variety of philosophies, seen a number of differing offensive schemes, and been exposed to multiple head coaches.

if i am comparing that resume to the members of the frogs defensive staff i honestly like sam's better on paper

I could not agree more, 100% concur with the conclusion AND the reasoning,

SackLunch

if i am comparing that resume to the members of the frogs defensive staff i honestly like sam's better o

Carter wasn’t afraid to speak his mind is what I have heard. Probably one of those guys that if he were a coach and GP dog-cussed him, would have a few words to say himself
So any coach he had that would speak up (Carter, Phillips, etc) pretty much got ran off? If that's the case then he kinda deserves the sh#@ show that this team has become.

Latest posts