• The KillerFrogs

Arch Manning to be ruined at UT

Chico Dusty

I disagree on this one. This is the highest profile QB to enter college in a long time. He is not going to be a part of a sub 500 team or one that is not winning consistently. Bama, LSU, UGA all have championships in recent years.

If he wanted to win a championship, he would have committed to Bama. Not saying he doesn’t want to win one, but I’m sure he is interested in playing for a major program, putting up #’s, and going to the NFL - and having a little fun while he’s doing it. And if he’s that good, maybe he can win at Texas (with a new coach).

LisaLT

If he wanted to win a championship, he would have committed to Bama. Not saying he doesn’t want to win one, but I’m sure he is interested in playing for a major program, putting up #’s, and going to the NFL - and having a little fun while he’s doing it. And if he’s that good, maybe he can win at Texas (with a new coach).
Maybe. Or perhaps the desperate horns offered the best NIL package. Either way, he will only be as good as the team around him, especially at the collegiate level. And the coaching.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
At Bama, he'd spend a lot of time handing the ball away. I would think that part of their criteria for a Good Fit was that the kid would be the Featured Star. Bama has talent at each and every position, and it would be hard for the kid to sparkle amongst so many other gems.

That being said, picking UT is nuts. Sark won't last past this season, and the entrail ripping that will ensue over Who Will Be The New Guy will be beautiful to behold. And, there's always another 5-star kid who wants to be the Featured Star...

G

Ghost of Tobys Business College

I'm just thinking there should be a bet for which superstarstudQB gets his ego hurt by being on the bench first and hits the portal. Pre-NIL and portal, it was possible to convince some 4 or 5 star to come warm the bench for a couple of seasons but that just isn't gonna fly anymore.

LisaLT

In order to put up big numbers you gotta have the receivers and O Line and great offensive coaching to make that happen. I can think of several other programs that offer a far better chance for a good QB to put up numbers. And he IS a Manning so expectations are as high as they can be for a kid.

LisaLT

Who was the last great QB from UT to become an NFL superstar? And don’t say colt mccoy or Vince Young. They were great college QBs but no bueno in the NFL.

Chico Dusty

At Bama, he'd spend a lot of time handing the ball away. I would think that part of their criteria for a Good Fit was that the kid would be the Featured Star. Bama has talent at each and every position, and it would be hard for the kid to sparkle amongst so many other gems.

That being said, picking UT is nuts. Sark won't last past this season, and the entrail ripping that will ensue over Who Will Be The New Guy will be beautiful to behold. And, there's always another 5-star kid who wants to be the Featured Star...
In order to put up big numbers you gotta have the receivers and O Line and great offensive coaching to make that happen. I can think of several other programs that offer a far better chance for a good QB to put up numbers. And he IS a Manning so expectations are as high as they can be for a kid.
Who was the last great QB from UT to become an NFL superstar? And don’t say colt mccoy or Vince Young. They were great college QBs but no bueno in the NFL.

Exactly. That’s why I said he’s not going to Bama.

My point is - it doesn’t matter where he goes - he’s #1 draft pick and they’re just looking for a marque program he can play at for a few years.

And the when was the last QB argument - never understood that outlook. The school has little to do with it. It’s the player. Just because they haven’t had a QB go - has nothing to do with Arch. He will. And he will go #1.

If you don’t think the Mannings have this figured out - I don’t know what to tell you.

Last edited:

LisaLT

Exactly. That’s why I said he’s not going to Bama.

My point is - it doesn’t matter where he goes - he’s #1 draft pick and they’re just looking for a marque program he can play at for a few years.

And the when was the last QB argument - never understood that outlook. The school has little to do with it. It’s the player. Just because they haven’t had a QB go - has nothing to do with Arch. He will. And he will go #1.

If you don’t think the Mannings have this figured out - I don’t know what to tell you.
No one can predict the future of what will or could happen. The level of competition he's played against is subpar, at least from the film I've watched on him. He’s definitely good but its his last name that generates 90% of the hype around him. Not overly impressed, tbh.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Everybody thinks they "have it figured out" at some point. Fortuna is a fickle [ hundin], and many things can happen which will make the best laid plans go awry. IMHO, UT is a program on the decline, with a dead-man-walking for a Head Coach, and will shortly get the shock of their lives when they spend their early years in the SEC getting the absolute crap beaten out of them over and over.

For a family who has it all figured out, it's a bizarre choice...

froginaustin

This kid will be in the transfer portal every spring of his college career.

And that won't be very many springs. This kid is groomed to be an NFL quarterback, and NIL money, even at the programs he was teasing, is the stuff found between the couch cushions for a world-beater NFL quarterback draft pick.

HornyWartyToad

There's an old story about Bo Schembechler trying to recruit (IIRC) Art Schlichter from Ohio to play qb at Michigan. Schlichter was perceived as a generational talent out of HS. Michigan wanted him badly and was pulling out all the stops. Young kid stops Bo mid-sales pitch and says, "Coach, How come you haven't put any quarterbacks in the NFL?" Bo puts his arm around the kid and says, "Son, you and I, we're gonna change all that."
Schlichter went on to become a big star qb, and a high first-round NFL pick. At THE Ohio State.

Chongo94

There's an old story about Bo Schembechler trying to recruit (IIRC) Art Schlichter from Ohio to play qb at Michigan. Schlichter was perceived as a generational talent out of HS. Michigan wanted him badly and was pulling out all the stops. Young kid stops Bo mid-sales pitch and says, "Coach, How come you haven't put any quarterbacks in the NFL?" Bo puts his arm around the kid and says, "Son, you and I, we're gonna change all that."
Schlichter went on to become a big star qb, and a high first-round NFL pick. At THE Ohio State.
That guy’s story is INSANE! Holy hell, reading his Wikipedia entry was crazy. Dude took down own family members, a lawyer, an heiress….unreal.

LisaLT

That guy’s story is INSANE! Holy hell, reading his Wikipedia entry was crazy. Dude took down own family members, a lawyer, an heiress….unreal.
He spent time in more than 50 different prisons. I think he is considered one of the biggest QB draft busts in history too. Gambling and drugs a bad combo.